Sputum colour

Jellybaby

So I'm having a hard time trying to get a good colour sputum at the moment as u can probably tell from all my comments on posts etc...I think it's good that people can talk to other people with cf on this because after all u don't really understand unless your dealing with it yourself right! :p
Anyways I had blood coloured sputum for a while and ended up going in for my second ever lot of iv antibiotics and just came out today. Doctor said to stop pulmozyme altogether until I was completely clear. Sputum cleared up in hospital and then went bloody again and cleared up again and also went brown which I believe is old blood and now Its just a dark brown colour alot of the time. Lung function went up from 54% to 60% so doctor was happy with me (and so was I!) but have any of you guys got advice or experienced anything similar does this take a while to clear out hold stuff in my lungs? Thanks in advance!

J

jamest

After hemoptosis, I do extra clearance to get stuff out. While my lungs are actively bleeding I try to stop clearance so that I don't re-open something that has clotted, so I usually have a backlog of junk I need to get up. On top of that, bleeding usually causes inflammation, which in my lungs at least, means more mucus is generated.

On a daily basis I try and do enough clearance that the stuff I bring out starts to become watery, as opposed to the usual thick and sticky stuff. Usually takes about 90 minutes of fluttering. The stuff I bring up in the beginning of the morning is usually darker than the stuff at the end of clearance.

rtorres25

I have a lot of issues with hemoptysis. After a massive episode, it can take a week or two for the brown to go away. It's really not fun. It will turn all sorts of crazy dark shades before it goes back to "normal". The dark gray is the strangest in my opinion.