Sputum culture results

Mammahuff

Can anyone tell me what this is? I just got Austins results from his sputum culture and i will be calling the doctor on Monday to check this out. her is what his results say.

Gram Strain
Few gram positive Cocci
Rare gram negative rods

Culture
Light growth staph aureus
Heavy growth Streptococcus Pneumoniae
Heavy growth normal flora

I know what the staph and the normal flora are but what is the rest mean.

Thanks for any help!

Mammahuff

Can anyone tell me what this is? I just got Austins results from his sputum culture and i will be calling the doctor on Monday to check this out. her is what his results say.

Gram Strain
Few gram positive Cocci
Rare gram negative rods

Culture
Light growth staph aureus
Heavy growth Streptococcus Pneumoniae
Heavy growth normal flora

I know what the staph and the normal flora are but what is the rest mean.

Thanks for any help!

Mammahuff

<br />
<br />Gram Strain
<br />Few gram positive Cocci
<br />Rare gram negative rods
<br />
<br />Culture
<br />Light growth staph aureus
<br />Heavy growth Streptococcus Pneumoniae
<br />Heavy growth normal flora
<br />
<br />I know what the staph and the normal flora are but what is the rest mean.
<br />
<br />Thanks for any help!

M

Mommafirst

I'm sure there will be someone around here with a more detailed explanation than I can give, but overall it looks like a pretty good culture. I'm pretty sure "rare" for gram neg rods, is a good thing -- rare meaning the numbers are very low. The only thing heavy is the strep pneumo, it could give him issues, but possibly not.

M

Mommafirst

I'm sure there will be someone around here with a more detailed explanation than I can give, but overall it looks like a pretty good culture. I'm pretty sure "rare" for gram neg rods, is a good thing -- rare meaning the numbers are very low. The only thing heavy is the strep pneumo, it could give him issues, but possibly not.

M

Mommafirst

hmw

The ones that came back 'rare gram-negative rod' and 'few gram-negative cocci' were not fully identified. Cocci and rod refer to the shape of the bacteria but not what kind they are and are only preliminary identifying factors. They probably didn't pursue them because it was a very light growth. Cocci are 'round' growths and usually staph or strep; gram-negative rods (technically called bacilli) can be many types of bacteria, anything from normal flora to pseudomonas & some of the really nasty stuff. However, other identifying factors help them distinguish between one of the bad ones and something they can just leave alone. When Emily had a gram-neg nonfermenting rod a few months back they had to send it out for identification (there was a lot of it); fortunately it didn't come back as anything particularly worrisome.

The strep. pneumoniae is another common bug to culture... I am pretty sure it's one of the bugs we only treat when our kids get sick (like staph.)

hmw

The ones that came back 'rare gram-negative rod' and 'few gram-negative cocci' were not fully identified. Cocci and rod refer to the shape of the bacteria but not what kind they are and are only preliminary identifying factors. They probably didn't pursue them because it was a very light growth. Cocci are 'round' growths and usually staph or strep; gram-negative rods (technically called bacilli) can be many types of bacteria, anything from normal flora to pseudomonas & some of the really nasty stuff. However, other identifying factors help them distinguish between one of the bad ones and something they can just leave alone. When Emily had a gram-neg nonfermenting rod a few months back they had to send it out for identification (there was a lot of it); fortunately it didn't come back as anything particularly worrisome.

The strep. pneumoniae is another common bug to culture... I am pretty sure it's one of the bugs we only treat when our kids get sick (like staph.)

hmw

<br />
<br />The strep. pneumoniae is another common bug to culture... I am pretty sure it's one of the bugs we only treat when our kids get sick (like staph.)

Mammahuff

Thanks for the responses. I am wondering if they will indeed treat him. He has been having a gross snotty nose lately. So i will call the docs on Monday to see if they are wanting to do anythin. The tests results were just posted on the mykidschart today. He is on tobi every other month and Nov is his month to start back.

Mammahuff

Thanks for the responses. I am wondering if they will indeed treat him. He has been having a gross snotty nose lately. So i will call the docs on Monday to see if they are wanting to do anythin. The tests results were just posted on the mykidschart today. He is on tobi every other month and Nov is his month to start back.

Mammahuff