Sputum production

tesorotiffa

I finished a round of iv abx about 3 weeks ago. My typical symptoms of being sick are increased mucus production, extreme shortness of breath with activity or just sitting, and a cough that causes me to barely be able to catch my breath. It sounds like I'm panting for atleast 5 minutes every time. Well, for the past two weeks I have had an extreme increase of mucus production. It is green so I know it's infected. The doc put me on Levaquin just because I've never tried it before. I am having none of my other usual symptoms though so I'm wondering why I am coughing up so much mucus. Getting the mucus up is not very difficult because I'm on Mucinex and Pulmozyme. It's just irritating because I literally can't go 10 minutes without coughing huge blobs of mucus!

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything else I could possibly do to decrease the amount that I am coughing up?! I've looked up some foods and such that are supposed to promote mucus production and foods that are supposed to help cut mucus production. I'll probably be creating a new diet for myself tonight!

I feel like my doc has basically thrown her hands up because she can't find a reason for any of my issues. Any advice/tips would be awesome!!!

tesorotiffa

I finished a round of iv abx about 3 weeks ago. My typical symptoms of being sick are increased mucus production, extreme shortness of breath with activity or just sitting, and a cough that causes me to barely be able to catch my breath. It sounds like I'm panting for atleast 5 minutes every time. Well, for the past two weeks I have had an extreme increase of mucus production. It is green so I know it's infected. The doc put me on Levaquin just because I've never tried it before. I am having none of my other usual symptoms though so I'm wondering why I am coughing up so much mucus. Getting the mucus up is not very difficult because I'm on Mucinex and Pulmozyme. It's just irritating because I literally can't go 10 minutes without coughing huge blobs of mucus!

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything else I could possibly do to decrease the amount that I am coughing up?! I've looked up some foods and such that are supposed to promote mucus production and foods that are supposed to help cut mucus production. I'll probably be creating a new diet for myself tonight!

I feel like my doc has basically thrown her hands up because she can't find a reason for any of my issues. Any advice/tips would be awesome!!!

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />So I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything else I could possibly do to decrease the amount that I am coughing up?! I've looked up some foods and such that are supposed to promote mucus production and foods that are supposed to help cut mucus production. I'll probably be creating a new diet for myself tonight!
<br />
<br />I feel like my doc has basically thrown her hands up because she can't find a reason for any of my issues. Any advice/tips would be awesome!!!

static

I feel ya'. I just got out of the hospital recently and my mucus production pretty much jumped back to before I even went in... which is ALOT. During my saline treatment I can pretty much fill up a breakfast bowl, and I don't think there has been a time yet where I coughed and it wasn't green. As a kid they use to have to swap my throat to get a culture.

I also kind of feel that my doctor is like "well that's just the way it is". It is really annoying me too because I am being more compliant now than I have been in 4-5 years. I am almost hoping that they find <i>something </i> in my latest sputum culture because I feel I am running out of options.

Good luck to you and tell me if you find anything that helps. My suspicions are alergies (I might have alot of dust in my vent system, haven't changed it in a while) and like I said earlier a possible bacteria infection yet to be spotted. Also exposure to strong smells might trigger my coughing too, maybe it is the same for you?

static

I feel ya'. I just got out of the hospital recently and my mucus production pretty much jumped back to before I even went in... which is ALOT. During my saline treatment I can pretty much fill up a breakfast bowl, and I don't think there has been a time yet where I coughed and it wasn't green. As a kid they use to have to swap my throat to get a culture.

I also kind of feel that my doctor is like "well that's just the way it is". It is really annoying me too because I am being more compliant now than I have been in 4-5 years. I am almost hoping that they find <i>something </i> in my latest sputum culture because I feel I am running out of options.

Good luck to you and tell me if you find anything that helps. My suspicions are alergies (I might have alot of dust in my vent system, haven't changed it in a while) and like I said earlier a possible bacteria infection yet to be spotted. Also exposure to strong smells might trigger my coughing too, maybe it is the same for you?

static

static

static

<br />
<br />I also kind of feel that my doctor is like "well that's just the way it is". It is really annoying me too because I am being more compliant now than I have been in 4-5 years. I am almost hoping that they find <i>something </i> in my latest sputum culture because I feel I am running out of options.
<br />
<br />Good luck to you and tell me if you find anything that helps. My suspicions are alergies (I might have alot of dust in my vent system, haven't changed it in a while) and like I said earlier a possible bacteria infection yet to be spotted. Also exposure to strong smells might trigger my coughing too, maybe it is the same for you?

tesorotiffa

I'm the same way! I've never been more compliant in my life. I am overly compliant. Deep down I get the feeling that they are suspicious of my compliance, but that's just because they don't have anything else to blame it on! I had a bronch done in July, and I was not growing anything new. My doc was kind of disappointed because she was hoping it would give her an answer.

Everytime I get sick now they immediately jump to sinus surgery. The problem for me is that I never had sinus problems before I had sinus surgery 3 years ago. Plus I've never felt like it's helped enough to do it more than once a year.

Yes strong smells are definitely an issue, especially perfume. Why women think they have to drown themselves in perfume I will never understand!

Good luck to you too! I hope you get an answer without developing a new bacteria! Maybe we'll be able to help each other out with this!

tesorotiffa

I'm the same way! I've never been more compliant in my life. I am overly compliant. Deep down I get the feeling that they are suspicious of my compliance, but that's just because they don't have anything else to blame it on! I had a bronch done in July, and I was not growing anything new. My doc was kind of disappointed because she was hoping it would give her an answer.

Everytime I get sick now they immediately jump to sinus surgery. The problem for me is that I never had sinus problems before I had sinus surgery 3 years ago. Plus I've never felt like it's helped enough to do it more than once a year.

Yes strong smells are definitely an issue, especially perfume. Why women think they have to drown themselves in perfume I will never understand!

Good luck to you too! I hope you get an answer without developing a new bacteria! Maybe we'll be able to help each other out with this!

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />Everytime I get sick now they immediately jump to sinus surgery. The problem for me is that I never had sinus problems before I had sinus surgery 3 years ago. Plus I've never felt like it's helped enough to do it more than once a year.
<br />
<br />Yes strong smells are definitely an issue, especially perfume. Why women think they have to drown themselves in perfume I will never understand!
<br />
<br />Good luck to you too! I hope you get an answer without developing a new bacteria! Maybe we'll be able to help each other out with this!

missT

Ugh, this is a great question. My mucus production is out of control...so gross...even for me. It is almost amazing because I wonder sometimes where it all hangs out in my body? It seems like alot to only be in my lungs. Anyway, I get "extra" mucus from eating and drinking certain things. I know when I have ice cream or milk my mucus production goes haywire. Also, I believe certain alcohol make lots of mucus. Maybe the yeast? The best thing is just get it out of your body. The HS really gets it out but is sooooo violent to my system that I feel exhausted afterwards.

missT

Ugh, this is a great question. My mucus production is out of control...so gross...even for me. It is almost amazing because I wonder sometimes where it all hangs out in my body? It seems like alot to only be in my lungs. Anyway, I get "extra" mucus from eating and drinking certain things. I know when I have ice cream or milk my mucus production goes haywire. Also, I believe certain alcohol make lots of mucus. Maybe the yeast? The best thing is just get it out of your body. The HS really gets it out but is sooooo violent to my system that I feel exhausted afterwards.

missT

missT

missT