Sputum question

MOME2RT

This morning Reece woke up coughing his head off. He got a nosebleed and was coughing up alll kinds of stuff. Ever since he started TOBI he has been coughing alot. (TOBI is treating Psued.) AND coughing up junk. This morning had blood streaked through it and bright green sputum. As I was inspecting it, I also noticed it was kinda chunky where the bright green was tinged. Am I being paranoid or is this all just from the TOBI. Does Puesd. produce green sputum??? How long does TOBI take to knock out the infection or atleast get it under control??? Thanks!!!

thelizardqueen

Green sputum means infection. I know that TOBI can cause excess coughing, and streaking of blood. it could very well be that the TOBI is making him cough out the psuedo, but yes green is infection, like pseudo. You should probably notice some sort of change in a couple of weeks. It usually takes about 2 weeks to notice a difference. To get it under control may take about 3, maybe.

point

Leah - - Pseudo does have its own unique coloring. Liz is right in saying that the darker/greener/browner sputum indicates infection. Though Pseudo specifically has a brighter green tinge/ sometime almost a blueish/green color at times. When you have pseudo growing out on a petri dish in a microbiology lab it has almost an irridescience about it. It is good that your son is clearing this from his chest. It is always better out of the lungs than in. Also, some sputum may rest in an airway and harden over time this will give an appearance of "chunkier" or more dense mucus that can travel out of the airway with a more watery mucus. All in all, it is good to have this out. The blood in his sputum could be do the the excessive coughing. At times coughing can put a strain on smaller blood vessels in the lungs and they can break open. I would mention it to your dr. just so they are on the same page as you, but I wouldn't worry too much. Best Wishes -

JazzysMom

I would check with the doc if you are concerned, but it sounds like the TOBI is reaching the airways where its hardened up. Now is breaking up & coming up which will look different then what he has brought up as far as consistancy.The color should still be in the beautiful green family tho!

MOME2RT

Thanks everyone!!!! He has a dr. appt. this fri. I just hope they dont admit him coughing the way he has ( just in the morn though) he always coughs in morning and thats when his appt is 9:15am. Alot of times they go by his O2 if its under like 91/92 they usually get him a room. I just HATE being "in" BUT yes his sputum is mixed w/ a bright green tint and he has been coughing since TOBI.......

JazzysMom

Will you have time to give him a good treatment before the appointment? To try & minimize his coughing. I always try to get my appointments during the best part of my day. Good Luck on Friday!