SSDI...Renewal? Volunteering? Vacationing?

MsPeliAmour

Volunteering? Vacationing?

Hi Everyone,

My question is regarding volunteering/vacationing and disability. Now that I don't work, I spend every minute of everyday in my home doing treatments/therapies and trying to maintain my health. This has proven helpful for maintaining my health so I don't regret it, but it's not so helpful for my state of mind. My depression has worsened looking at the same walls every day. If I volunteer or take a vacation once in a while, will it prevent me from getting approved for disability? Do any of you on disability volunteer or vacation at least once in a while?

Thanks for any responses!

julie

There is a review process that typically occurs at the 3 year mark, but it is rare that it actually occurs, and usually only occurs with someone who is working close to the substantial gainful level and has been for a while. Most people are on SSDI for 8+ years without ever having a review.

As far as volunteering, it would depend on if they ever did review your case, and how much you were volunteering and what it is you were doing. As far as vacations, I've never experienced that being an issue. They don't expect you to live inside a box and never ever do anything.

Asexyblond23

I have SSD not SSDI and I just had my 7 year review ( which was my first). I had my doctors fill out paperwork, I had to fill out paperwork and then they sent it to the national office for review

nocode

Wow I can really relate with your second paragraph. I stopped working a few months ago and am now on disability. Now that I don't have the distraction of work, I feel like I live for my health. Therapies, lung clearance, exercise etc. I don't regret it either but I can certainly say that my depression, which was kind of latent, has emerged back to haunt me and i'm finding it very difficult to set goals for myself and be motivated to enjoy life.

I also thought about volunteering but I think I'm getting used to not having to commit to anything with a schedule so I don't feel like doing that anymore. I guess the less you do, the less you want to do! But one thing is for sure, I am not getting bored - per se - and time seems to be going by fast. The main problem for me really is the fact that I have more time to dwell on negative stuff.

OK, sorry I couldn't offer any help with your exact question, but thought I'd share my 2 cents.

Good luck.

R

RytheStunner

I have SSD not SSDI and I just had my 7 year review ( which was my first). I had my doctors fill out paperwork, I had to fill out paperwork and then they sent it to the national office for review

SSD and SSDI are the same; it's SSDI and SSI that are different.

JustDucky

I had a 3 year review (well, it was more like at the 4 year mark), they only ask for the last year's records (doc visits, er visits, hospitalizations, etc). I did not need a lawyer at this stage, just filled out the paper work, sent what was necessary to my doctor's so that they could fill out their part, released records from any agencies that were involved in my care.. It was not nearly as involved as the initial phase at all.. When it came time for my second 3 year review, the SSA sent a letter, asking if anything had changed in the past 3 years, and that was it. They saw no need in submitting any new info based on my reply..

I do volunteer, but not many hours. I belong to a community art program, it isn't too strenuous and I participate when my health allows..

Jenn 40 wCF

triples15

Super Moderator
Thanks for asking this question. I too have been curious about the 3 year review. I'm right at the 3 year mark and have actually been healthier in the years since I quit working. I have not been hospitalized or on IVs for almost 2 years. I have used nebulized antibiotics quite frequently so I think i could still squeak by on that impairment listing. Also, people have mentioned at their review their doctor had to fill out paperwork. For my application process my doctor never filled out any paperwork or was involved in the process at all. I'm worried that in my current health, my doc might not support my renewal if he had to fill out paperwork.

It's kind of ironic because the reason I am as healthy as I am is because I left work and have had the time and energy to take better care of myself. I never miss a treatment, get more rest, am not exposed to as many germs, eat a lot better, exercise, etc. So basically, since not working has had a positive effect on my health it could cause me to lose my SSDI and have to go back to work. Hmmmm...

Anyway, I'm very hopeful that my review won't come for another couple years as it has for many others it sounds like. As I said, I think I would still be approved but I don't want to have to test that theory.

As to your question about volunteering and vacationing. As others have said, I'm sure the vacationing is fine. They don't ask you anything that pertains to that kind of stuff. Volunteering, I'd agree with Julie. It probably would depend on how much and what type it was. I would say you could easily volunteer a few hours a month doing something fairly sedentary and no one could find fault with that. Just a guess on my part though.

Anyway, thanks again for asking the question!

Take care,

Autumn

missmary083

Hi for all u guys on ssdi or ssi. Did u quit working before u applied or how does this work. My dr told me if I don't improve my pft's in a year I get a transplant but I need to work to support myself n little girl but then
Missing out on treatment n meds n everything. It's so annoying. So they said to apply for disability. Any advice n tips.

JustDucky

When I applied, I was officially not working....my doctors had told me that I could not return back to work as an ICU RN, I literally went from working full shifts (and barely making it) to wearing O2 and being told that work was no longer an option.. I am not absolutely positive that you have to completely stop working to file for SSDI. You should check out the social security site, it is pretty informative and answers many frequently (and not so frequently) asked questions regarding filing for disability.. I believe you can start the process online as well. Once the SSA determined that I was disabled (they also determine the actual date from when I could no longer work), I had to wait 6 months from that date before I got any benefits. Medicare kicked in 2 years later, I had to maintain COBRA until then (very expensive), I did not qualify for state help but if your benefits aren't that high, many do..
It can be a confusing process, personally, I would consult someone who specializes in disability....Beth Sulfan (sp?) is a lawyer who has CF herself and has helped many.. Also, Julie (a member on this site) runs an organization that also helps with disability and filing, contact her as well for help. Good luck!

Jenn 40 wCF

K

katethekid

To answer the question about working when you apply for disability I'll let you know what my lawyer told me. She said I could work 25 hours a week or less and be okay. They just can't see that you are making 'substantial/gainful employment'. I was just approved in August 2012 after an appeal before a judge. The whole process took me almost 3 years. I was actually admitted the night before my hearing and signed out AMA so I didn't miss the court date. Then I had to re-admit myself later that same day. The hearing only lasted about 10 minutes, but I didn't get my approval letter in te mail for another 3 weeks after that. Best of luck to you :)