SSI?

Angel2393

Is anyone recieving SSI? And working? if so, how many hours were you able to work and were still allowed payments??

Angel2393

Is anyone recieving SSI? And working? if so, how many hours were you able to work and were still allowed payments??

fhayden

You can work part time. The limit depends on your state. For example, in Florida I can work and make up to $1000 per month. If you make over $1000 per month in Florida you will lose you cash benefits but may be able to keep your medical benefits. If I make more than $720 per month it will be called a trial work month. You only have so many trial work months. I believe its 9. You can talk to your local work incentives coordinator to get specific details for yourself. Frank

fhayden

You can work part time. The limit depends on your state. For example, in Florida I can work and make up to $1000 per month. If you make over $1000 per month in Florida you will lose you cash benefits but may be able to keep your medical benefits. If I make more than $720 per month it will be called a trial work month. You only have so many trial work months. I believe its 9. You can talk to your local work incentives coordinator to get specific details for yourself. Frank

julie

Frank is incorrect, if you are on SSI and work, each $2 you make will DIRECTLY reduce your SSI benefits. If you are on SSDI you can have up to 9 trial work months in a rolling 60 month period before your benefits are discontinued. A trial work month in 2011 is any month in which your earnings are over $720, however if you keep your earnings under $1,010 in 2011 then you will NOT lose your SSDI benefits

julie

Frank is incorrect, if you are on SSI and work, each $2 you make will DIRECTLY reduce your SSI benefits. If you are on SSDI you can have up to 9 trial work months in a rolling 60 month period before your benefits are discontinued. A trial work month in 2011 is any month in which your earnings are over $720, however if you keep your earnings under $1,010 in 2011 then you will NOT lose your SSDI benefits

dukeblue1206

You may be able to keep your Medicaid but lose your cash payment if you make over a certain limit. This first $85 you make is not counted but then they take a $1 away for each $2 you make. But if you make over that limit you can look into Medicaid 1619b which allows you to make more then the limit but still keep the medical benefits as long as you meet certain requirements. Like in here in NC I can gross over $34k a year and still keep the Medicaid because I still qualify medically for Medicaid.

dukeblue1206

You may be able to keep your Medicaid but lose your cash payment if you make over a certain limit. This first $85 you make is not counted but then they take a $1 away for each $2 you make. But if you make over that limit you can look into Medicaid 1619b which allows you to make more then the limit but still keep the medical benefits as long as you meet certain requirements. Like in here in NC I can gross over $34k a year and still keep the Medicaid because I still qualify medically for Medicaid.

fhayden

Wow, google is powerful. Yup, I posted the benefits for SSDI not SSI. You do lose $1 for every $2 you make on SSI. I work and still have my benefits. But I do agree that the rules are different for people on SSI/SSDI. But I do see where the rules about SSDI are stated: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/317/~/working-while-receiving-social-security-disability-benefits. Here are the SSI rules: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/483/kw/working/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzMxMDYxMjc3L3NpZC91dGg4enFTaw%3D%3D I know people who are disabled, on SSI and work. You really have to speak with a work incentives coordinator as I suggested. It will put any anxiety about working to rest. If that's what you really want to do. Before I started working lots of people receiving benefits told me not work or I'd lose my benefits. Not true. I work as an IT Tech and love it!
By th way, I do know this may be off topics but check out Vocational Rehabilitation. They can pay for school if you want to retrain.
I do apologize for any confusion on my part. By the way, I'm 14 yrs post transplant and soon to be 15!. You should subscribe to Secondwind--a lung transplant support group. Ask them your question. There are CF Transplants on there that work and still have their benefits too.Frank

fhayden

Wow, google is powerful. Yup, I posted the benefits for SSDI not SSI. You do lose $1 for every $2 you make on SSI. I work and still have my benefits. But I do agree that the rules are different for people on SSI/SSDI. But I do see where the rules about SSDI are stated: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/317/~/working-while-receiving-social-security-disability-benefits. Here are the SSI rules: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/483/kw/working/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzMxMDYxMjc3L3NpZC91dGg4enFTaw%3D%3D I know people who are disabled, on SSI and work. You really have to speak with a work incentives coordinator as I suggested. It will put any anxiety about working to rest. If that's what you really want to do. Before I started working lots of people receiving benefits told me not work or I'd lose my benefits. Not true. I work as an IT Tech and love it!
By th way, I do know this may be off topics but check out Vocational Rehabilitation. They can pay for school if you want to retrain.
I do apologize for any confusion on my part. By the way, I'm 14 yrs post transplant and soon to be 15!. You should subscribe to Secondwind--a lung transplant support group. Ask them your question. There are CF Transplants on there that work and still have their benefits too.Frank

julie

No worries Frank. Personally I blame the damn SSA for naming the programs the way they did. I think its a strategy to get people confused so they screw up their own benefits..

julie

No worries Frank. Personally I blame the damn SSA for naming the programs the way they did. I think its a strategy to get people confused so they screw up their own benefits..

JennifersHope

I was collecting SSDI and working. I made just under a thousand dollars a month, received SSDI and Medicaid. Now I receive Medicare as my primary, Medicaid as my secondary but just got my butt kicked off the working disabled program here in SC.

When Obama raised our SSDI payments it took me over the edge of the limit of what a person can make on UNearned income by $30.00.

SInce Medicare alone is not enough to remotely cover my bills, I had to have my job position terminated until Obama reevaluates the Working Disabled program which I was told will be some time in March. Not that I am in a position to work, but when I am, I would like to be.. Lucikly I have the best job ever and they are holding my spot for me..

I know this is different then SSI all together but I was wondering Stephen if you could tell me how are able to still keep your Medicaid benefits and make that much money? I don't really care about the money as when I work I have a pretty high income, even just two days a week... but I can not be without the benefits of Medicare AND Medicaid....

JennifersHope

I was collecting SSDI and working. I made just under a thousand dollars a month, received SSDI and Medicaid. Now I receive Medicare as my primary, Medicaid as my secondary but just got my butt kicked off the working disabled program here in SC.

When Obama raised our SSDI payments it took me over the edge of the limit of what a person can make on UNearned income by $30.00.

SInce Medicare alone is not enough to remotely cover my bills, I had to have my job position terminated until Obama reevaluates the Working Disabled program which I was told will be some time in March. Not that I am in a position to work, but when I am, I would like to be.. Lucikly I have the best job ever and they are holding my spot for me..

I know this is different then SSI all together but I was wondering Stephen if you could tell me how are able to still keep your Medicaid benefits and make that much money? I don't really care about the money as when I work I have a pretty high income, even just two days a week... but I can not be without the benefits of Medicare AND Medicaid....

dukeblue1206

In reply to JennifersHope if you Google Medicaid 1619b it will give you some information about that area of Medicaid that allows you to make more and keep the Medicaid. They will review your case after 9 months or so because they want to be able to take Medicaid away if they can. The two main things you have to have in your favor so they can't take it away is to have bad health and less then 2k in assets. I talked with Beth Sufian, the lawyer with CF, before ever looking into going to work while on Medicaid because I was terrified of losing it. She is the one that told me about what I needed to do to keep from losing my Medicaid. Once I told her my FEV1 score of 30% she told me they would not take my Medicaid away because of that as long as I don't make over my states limit in the Medicaid 1619b.
<a href="http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm">http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm</a>
Here is a link to the governments description of the continued Medicaid 1619b

dukeblue1206

In reply to JennifersHope if you Google Medicaid 1619b it will give you some information about that area of Medicaid that allows you to make more and keep the Medicaid. They will review your case after 9 months or so because they want to be able to take Medicaid away if they can. The two main things you have to have in your favor so they can't take it away is to have bad health and less then 2k in assets. I talked with Beth Sufian, the lawyer with CF, before ever looking into going to work while on Medicaid because I was terrified of losing it. She is the one that told me about what I needed to do to keep from losing my Medicaid. Once I told her my FEV1 score of 30% she told me they would not take my Medicaid away because of that as long as I don't make over my states limit in the Medicaid 1619b.
<a href="http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm">http://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/1619b.htm</a>
Here is a link to the governments description of the continued Medicaid 1619b

JennifersHope

Thanks so much, I adore Beth... She did my disability case.. She is very knowledgeable and very sweet. I will check with her when the time comes for me to go back. Thanks also for the link as well.

JennifersHope

Thanks so much, I adore Beth... She did my disability case.. She is very knowledgeable and very sweet. I will check with her when the time comes for me to go back. Thanks also for the link as well.

JennifersHope

This is for Stephen... I am not sure because I get SSDI which is different then SSI. It is just that my income was so low that I also qualified for Medicaid... and I don't want to assume that it means that I am also on SSI. I will ask Beth....

It is so frustrating to me because I wish they would just let me work when I can and when I can't subsidize it. I so wish that for people with serious illnesses that they should just be given insurance for life period....but that is a dream.

I am an RN and I have very high hourly rate especially because I don't work enough to collect benefits, your hourly rate goes up... but at least if I qualify for that program you talked about I can work a day or so a week.

Like I said, I was kicked off Medicaid initially once my SSDI check went up because I made to much money under the Working Disabled program here, but apparently if you don't work your SSDI check can be higher..... So stupid.

Right now, I am a hot mess and not able to work anyway, I am doing seven hours of IV antibiotics a day.. culturing all kinds of junk and now am ototoxic from one of the anitbiotics so I spend my days spinning on a merry go round or at least feeling like I am.

BUt when I get better, my job is waiting for me.....Since you live in NC do you go to UNC for your care?

JennifersHope

This is for Stephen... I am not sure because I get SSDI which is different then SSI. It is just that my income was so low that I also qualified for Medicaid... and I don't want to assume that it means that I am also on SSI. I will ask Beth....

It is so frustrating to me because I wish they would just let me work when I can and when I can't subsidize it. I so wish that for people with serious illnesses that they should just be given insurance for life period....but that is a dream.

I am an RN and I have very high hourly rate especially because I don't work enough to collect benefits, your hourly rate goes up... but at least if I qualify for that program you talked about I can work a day or so a week.

Like I said, I was kicked off Medicaid initially once my SSDI check went up because I made to much money under the Working Disabled program here, but apparently if you don't work your SSDI check can be higher..... So stupid.

Right now, I am a hot mess and not able to work anyway, I am doing seven hours of IV antibiotics a day.. culturing all kinds of junk and now am ototoxic from one of the anitbiotics so I spend my days spinning on a merry go round or at least feeling like I am.

BUt when I get better, my job is waiting for me.....Since you live in NC do you go to UNC for your care?