St Johns Wort

athletixbc

I was told by my doctors absolutely no St.John's Wort, but not because of any of the reasons you listed above. It is a natural immune system booster and I'm post transplant. Anything that boosts immune system post transplant is a no-no.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
St. John's wort as you know, is a poisoner's dream potion. Administered after dark its photochemistry changes deadly in daylight. Ok, maybe you don't have that factoid on the tip of your tongue. Unless things have suddenly changed, you aren't at risk for needing a transplant so increased immunity would be helpful in all probability.

If you don't mind, why are you considering taking St. John's wort? Where did you learn about this particular use for it? Oh, yes it is a photoreactive poison, just keep to recommended dosing if you take it, avoid unknown dosages like teas and fresh or dried plants or their parts.

Many uses have been found for SJW from immunity improvement to antidepressants and Parkinson's treatment. I find many conventional drugs used to treat these issues, wanting. To that end, SJW may be worth a try. IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is possibly treated with it or make it worse and a number of other medications interact with it. Involve or at least inform your doctor of your plans. Look up St. Johns wort in Wikipedia to see the major drug classes you may be in conflict with. Interactions could be serious, especially neuroleptics and other psychoactive drugs like anti anxiety drugs, mood stablizers and such. Even antibiotics and possibly cheese can be intertwined in increasing/lowering the strength. Yah cheese is to be taken carefully with certain drugs including SJW.

Please let me know what you are looking to use SJW for, sounds interesting.

LL

P

pmae

We had my son (6 years old) on it through an herbal mix called Exstress by Vaxa which includes many other herbs to support the St. Johns wort. It never seemed to interact with any of the above meds you listed and his CF team never had problems with it. He has P.D.D (high functioning autism), anxiety, and depression among other things and his doctor and psychologist wanted to start him on an antidepressant. I'm not a big fan of prescription antidepressants in somone so young so we went this more natural route. When he started the Kalydeco we had to stop the Exstress because St. John's Wort has a direct interaction with it. I thought I was going to pull my hair out because my son's Tourette type tics started coming back and were even worse off the Exstress. I tried another product by Vaxa called Neuran that does not have St. John's Wort in it and it has been nothing short of a blessing! He's happy and thriving far beyond expectations! We combine it with the Attend for his ADHD and he is (for all intents and purposes) a very normal 6 year old :)

Enzo2311

St. John's wort as you know, is a poisoner's dream potion. Administered after dark its photochemistry changes deadly in daylight. Ok, maybe you don't have that factoid on the tip of your tongue. Unless things have suddenly changed, you aren't at risk for needing a transplant so increased immunity would be helpful in all probability.

If you don't mind, why are you considering taking St. John's wort? Where did you learn about this particular use for it? Oh, yes it is a photoreactive poison, just keep to recommended dosing if you take it, avoid unknown dosages like teas and fresh or dried plants or their parts.

Many uses have been found for SJW from immunity improvement to antidepressants and Parkinson's treatment. I find many conventional drugs used to treat these issues, wanting. To that end, SJW may be worth a try. IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is possibly treated with it or make it worse and a number of other medications interact with it. Involve or at least inform your doctor of your plans. Look up St. Johns wort in Wikipedia to see the major drug classes you may be in conflict with. Interactions could be serious, especially neuroleptics and other psychoactive drugs like anti anxiety drugs, mood stablizers and such. Even antibiotics and possibly cheese can be intertwined in increasing/lowering the strength. Yah cheese is to be taken carefully with certain drugs including SJW.

Please let me know what you are looking to use SJW for, sounds interesting.

LL

im im not doing St. John's wort anymore. My dr gave me Paroxetine (Paxil) and Alprazolam (Xanax).