Starting creon

meech

I was just wondering if there was any side effects I should be on the look out for or be aware of? I was told the dose would probably need to be adjusted and it may affect my diabetes control. Thanks.

Ank

After starting creon your weight and health will improve..you will not have fatty and frequent stools.
I advice you take creon in mid of meals..
If you take creon and dont eat , then you can have stomach ace

that why i take creon immediately after meal and adjust my dose accordinly to how much i ate.

if i ate less fatty food and very less food then i require less creon

for 1gram fat one can take 500 to 4000 lipase unit.. amount of lipase you require depends how much enzyme your own pancreas can prroduce

so!!
I remember in childhood i ate creon and dint had food , it caused stomach ace

ethan508

I've never experienced any side effects with Creon. But then again my GI symptoms are so severe that not taking it is awful, so I'm not sure I'd be able to note a side effect. Like Ank said, dosing does depend on what you ate. I need more with high fat and/or high protein meals. It will take some trial and error to figure out the exact right dose so that everything is getting digested well. The nice thing for me is that I get pretty compelling feedback within a day, so it is easy to learn from my errors.

It seems like there is a lot of fuss about when you take your pills (right before, during, right after a meal/snack or some complicated combination of the three), but as long as I'm within a reasonable proximity of the meal they seem to be beneficial. Consistency so that you remember to take them is probably more important that the exact moment they are imbibed. I never take them more than 10 minutes before a meal, but if I have forgotten to take them, I've taken them 30-45 minutes after a meal, which isn't ideal but better than skipping.

Printer

I would suggest that you take the (some) Creon on first bite. For me, half at first bite and balance upon completion of the meal.

meech

Thank you all. I only sometimes experience the fatty stools, but the last year after having my gallbladder removed I have had constant pain after eating. I guess that was helping with my digestion too. They did a Mri and found my pancreas has significant fat replacement which is apparanttly common with cf so they believe I have moved into the pancreatic insufficient status. Too start I'm on 1-3 creon 10 with snack and 3-5 with meals.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey mech, my understanding is that too much enzymes even within the safe limit can cause constipation. I wonder if it makes sense to call the doctors and get guidance on how they want yo to proceed....starting with 1 and moving up? What to do if you start to get constipated ie cut back or do miralax. You don't want to get all backed up and the have a harder time getting back on track so maybe getting the guidance ahead of time would help. Good luck.

meech

I was a little worried about that because it is a problem I have sometimes but I do already have a prescription for lactulose that I can take daily as needed. I do plan on starting with the minimum recommend dose of enzymes. Thanks

W

windex125

I just became PI last year I take 2 before each meal if I hv dessert abt a hr after a meal I take one. This has been working so far. I still use my Miralax every other day to keep things flowing nicely. I can't say I have experienced and side affects at all. Good Luck to you. Pat/60