Statistics on pregnancy

AimeeSue82

I know that most men with CF (like 99%) are sterile because of their lack of a Vas Deferens. I'm just wondering if anyone (Julie?) has any statistics about women. How does CF affect our fertility? Does the mucus build up damage the ovaries, uterus, or any other vital organ to reproduction? I'm just curious.

Thanks for the help!

-Aimee/22/Colorado

thefrogprincess

To my knowledge the mucus doesn't damage the overies or uterus, but the thicj mucus around yur cervix can make it hard for sperm to get in where they need to be. I know a lot of CF women trying to get pregnant have to take something to thin out the cervival mucus.

anonymous

What froggy said is right. The research shows that CF does not cause damage perse, but it does create thick mucus secretions in the body-everywhere in the body. So that would include the cervix as well. some women have had success with taking a form of robitussin. You have to be careful though, you don't want the kind that supresses a cough as that can lead to more mucus secretions in someone with CF and further complications (although sometimes given on a one or two time basis to allow someone to get some much needed rest or something-you would be using it more often than just once or twice for fertility purposes). You want to get the kind that thins secretions. I believe it's called guiafesn (that is not spelled right-someone help me out!!!!). Have you seen hollycatheryn's website on fertility? If not, the link is floating around here somewhere-she is really really good with the female aspects of this, she may have more information than what I have posted. Let me know if you haven't seen here site and I'll loook for it. It's on my fav's at home but I just got to work.....

Julie

Teesh

Hello,

I have CF and I got pregnant straight away..... my sister on the other hand has CF and she didn't she had thicker cervical mucus... but I believe this is a case by case, some may have this some may not.. like me..
Hope that helps.