Stomach acid in your sputum

Giggles

My new clinic is proactive with testing for stomach acid in the sputum culture. Has anyone else had talks about this in regards to their sputum with their CF doc? They want me to get a acid test, where they put you out and stick this thing down your esophagus that will measure how much acid one is aspirating into the lungs. This acid causes the lung tissue to scar. If it shows alot then surgery could be an option to tighten the valve of the esophagus so the acid does not get into the lungs. I have never had any kind of surgery or have been put out and I am nervous about this.... Anybody have any experience with all this.<br>

Giggles

My new clinic is proactive with testing for stomach acid in the sputum culture. Has anyone else had talks about this in regards to their sputum with their CF doc? They want me to get a acid test, where they put you out and stick this thing down your esophagus that will measure how much acid one is aspirating into the lungs. This acid causes the lung tissue to scar. If it shows alot then surgery could be an option to tighten the valve of the esophagus so the acid does not get into the lungs. I have never had any kind of surgery or have been put out and I am nervous about this.... Anybody have any experience with all this.<br>

Giggles

Beccamom

My daughter had an impedence probe to determinee if she had acidic or non-acidic reflux and if the reflux came up high enough for her to aspirate it. She was awake and swallowed the probe which was placed in her down and down the esophogus. She kept it in 24 hours and ate and drank. It downloaded information into a computer she wore in a backpack. This is different than a PH probe because it has sensors on the whole thing and determines acidic and non-acidic reflux. Maybe you can try this before sedation and if it shows a concern, then do the sedated test which seems more specific about the aspiration versus possibility of aspiration. Maybe they are already sure you aspirate based on the sputum culture?
Best wishes.

Beccamom

My daughter had an impedence probe to determinee if she had acidic or non-acidic reflux and if the reflux came up high enough for her to aspirate it. She was awake and swallowed the probe which was placed in her down and down the esophogus. She kept it in 24 hours and ate and drank. It downloaded information into a computer she wore in a backpack. This is different than a PH probe because it has sensors on the whole thing and determines acidic and non-acidic reflux. Maybe you can try this before sedation and if it shows a concern, then do the sedated test which seems more specific about the aspiration versus possibility of aspiration. Maybe they are already sure you aspirate based on the sputum culture?
Best wishes.

Beccamom

<br />Best wishes.

gwpoland

Hello! It sounds like you're preparing to undergo a round of testing that I went through myself recently. I had what was called a Nissen Fundoplication done to prevent reflux and aspiration. This is the surgery that involves a laparoscopic tying of the stomach around the esophagus - and incidentally - is something that some facilities will emphasize that you get for transplantation. That said, with regard to the testing that led up to the operation, there were two: the Barium testing and the pH probe. The pH probe is a pain, requiring they run a cable up into your nose and down your esophagus. The Barium test is about as easy as an X-ray. However, they shouldn't need to be putting you under for either of these, so that is something you should think about.

All things considered, I just want to put your mind at ease about the whole thing. It was a good decision for my doctors to recommend the Nissen to me, and it is a common and standard procedure where I come from. If it should turn out that you don't need one, even better! Best of luck to you!

gwpoland

Hello! It sounds like you're preparing to undergo a round of testing that I went through myself recently. I had what was called a Nissen Fundoplication done to prevent reflux and aspiration. This is the surgery that involves a laparoscopic tying of the stomach around the esophagus - and incidentally - is something that some facilities will emphasize that you get for transplantation. That said, with regard to the testing that led up to the operation, there were two: the Barium testing and the pH probe. The pH probe is a pain, requiring they run a cable up into your nose and down your esophagus. The Barium test is about as easy as an X-ray. However, they shouldn't need to be putting you under for either of these, so that is something you should think about.

All things considered, I just want to put your mind at ease about the whole thing. It was a good decision for my doctors to recommend the Nissen to me, and it is a common and standard procedure where I come from. If it should turn out that you don't need one, even better! Best of luck to you!

gwpoland

<br />
<br />All things considered, I just want to put your mind at ease about the whole thing. It was a good decision for my doctors to recommend the Nissen to me, and it is a common and standard procedure where I come from. If it should turn out that you don't need one, even better! Best of luck to you!

ymikhale

my dd (3.5 y/o) had a test to measure reflux. her doctor wanted to take her off the antiacid b/c she had no symptoms anymore but i insisted we do the test beforehand. I am glad we did as it turned out she had reflux even though she had absolutely no symptoms. It went well, the part where they insert the tube was a bit uncomfortable, but that is about it. She was not sedated or anything.

ymikhale

my dd (3.5 y/o) had a test to measure reflux. her doctor wanted to take her off the antiacid b/c she had no symptoms anymore but i insisted we do the test beforehand. I am glad we did as it turned out she had reflux even though she had absolutely no symptoms. It went well, the part where they insert the tube was a bit uncomfortable, but that is about it. She was not sedated or anything.

ymikhale

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Our clinic has been very concerned with the issue if reflux too. My kids have each had the impedance probe twice. It is not very comfortable to place due to the gag refex, but they usually give you the option of sedation. One of my boys doesn't mind it too much, the other needs to be sedated. It is a good test to have because many people don't feel the reflux and it could be causing damage.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Our clinic has been very concerned with the issue if reflux too. My kids have each had the impedance probe twice. It is not very comfortable to place due to the gag refex, but they usually give you the option of sedation. One of my boys doesn't mind it too much, the other needs to be sedated. It is a good test to have because many people don't feel the reflux and it could be causing damage.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Giggles

Thanks for the replies! I had the choice of doing the one where you are awake and it is up through the nose and down the throat but I just could not forsee that being a comfortable experience. So doc said I can be put out and do the Bravo test and then I feel nothing. The sensor is in my throat and measures the acid which is recorded on a pager that I carry around for 48 hours. then you just pass the probe when you go number 2. That sounded less stressful to me.... glad to hear others had this done. Once the results come then it will be decided if I need the surgery or not to tighten the valve on the esophagus.<br>

Giggles

Thanks for the replies! I had the choice of doing the one where you are awake and it is up through the nose and down the throat but I just could not forsee that being a comfortable experience. So doc said I can be put out and do the Bravo test and then I feel nothing. The sensor is in my throat and measures the acid which is recorded on a pager that I carry around for 48 hours. then you just pass the probe when you go number 2. That sounded less stressful to me.... glad to hear others had this done. Once the results come then it will be decided if I need the surgery or not to tighten the valve on the esophagus.<br>

Giggles