Stomach Issues after Antibiotics?

LookingforPeace

Hi,

I recently acquired pseudomonas. Thus, it is more difficult for me to get rid of an infection now. I am also allergic to cipro.

Anyways, I was on antibiotics for 24 days. Since I've been off I can't eat anything without it running straight through me. I am also displaying blood in my stools?

Has anyone experienced this following a long course of antibiotics?

I am pancreatic sufficient.

Thanks for any advice,

M

Murphysmama

Hi - I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but we have put my son on Culturelle probiotics during antibiotics when he has tummy troubles. Hope it gets better soon!

bigstar

Maybe its a matter of bacteria (antibiotics kill all the good ones and you get an infection). Probiotics might help. The other case is that maybe you need enzymes. Im not pancreatic sufficient myself but i need few enzymes and i have regulated their use through time. What i have noticed (me and other folks here) is that when we are sick (high or higher levels of pseudo) we tend to need more enzymes. I have noticed that when i lose my appetite due to infection, anything i eat runs straight through me. The third case is that sometimes antibiotics cause diarrhea as a side effect. I would show some patience for a couple of days and then call my doctor.

LookingforPeace

Hey! Thanks for the advice. I went to see my doctor. She's pretty sure it's c deficile (sorry spelling). I am going to do a test to be sure. I started probiotics today. I'm feeling a bit better. And I'm starting home IV this week (first time) so ill have to keep up with the probiotics.

zamanka

My husband is taking antibiotics every day since he has chronical Pseudomonas (over 3 years). It's been so many different antibiotics he used during the last 2 years that I can't remember their names. It's always appears that he has some kind of side effects and that doctors give him to try another antibiotic. The last one he was on Azythromicin - he partially lost the hearing in one of his ears. Before he had another one and he had a stomach pain, a diarrhoea or rashes, acne, eczema and etc. He is now on Doxycycline and seem to be better, but it's not ideal for killing Pseudomonas... He is pancreatic sufficient as well.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Have you tried Kalydeco? If you are pancreatic sufficient than Kalydeco should help--GREATLY and has even gotten some to get rid of pseduo and other bugs. It would be off label (unless you are 551), but I would push doctor for a script. (Only available in US (or for private pay in other countries, except England which I believe now covers for those with 551).

If c-diff they'll put you on flagyl. If not c-diff, but probiotics don't resolve fulling, I'd also suggest getting on flagyl. (also check on dosing for probiotics--you'll likely need really high amounts, but check with doctor). It is the go-to drug for bacterial overgrowth which happens with lots of antibiotics which kill the good bacteria in your GI track. It's nasty but only 10 days and a huge difference).

azdesertrat

I always take acidophillus (spelling?) every day because I'm on a regimen of Tobi for one month followed by a month of Colistin. Hope this helps.

jbrandonAW

LOTS of probiotics. Its best to take them all the time then up them a little while on antibiotics and for about 1 week after. You want t find something that has over 15 billion. Also eat yogurt atleast 3 times a week.

MichaelL

You're already exploring this, but I was going to suggest you might have c difficile. I had it about two years ago. They caught it early for me and it was easy to get rid of. I would also recommend probiotics. I take Florastor, although I've seen others on here recommend other brands.

Good luck!

Grendel

I take Bio-K which I purchase from Whole Foods or Sunflower/Sprouts Supermarket. I take one bottle twice a day for a week or two post-antibiotic therapies, which is a lot, but I figure mine is not your normal digestive tract given I have CF.

Hope this helps!