struggling for answers

Helenlight

You are doing a wonderful job fighting for answers for your child. I'm glad you are able to get gene sequencing done, hopefully that will be helpful in providing some answers. The original pulmo who was very unhelpful does not sound very professional, and I would be inclined to write a letter of complaint, especially if the gene results show any mutations. I wish you all the very best!

toria

A mother's intuition is almost always correct. I'd push for a genetic test. Yes, it matters as the sooner you can treat , the less lung damage there will be.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dear Mom,
I've been thinking about you and thinking that up to now the idea of CF was more theoretical--trying to find out what is wrong and getting the doctors to focus on that as a possibility--and I realized that the emotional aspect might be hitting hard about now that she might really have CF and we all know how hard that is. I just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that the "good" news is that if her sweat tests are "positive" but low, that she most likely has a residual function or gating mutation which means that there are drugs right around the corner that can help fix the functioning of the CFTR mutation, which is another reason it is so important to find out what genes she has. I suggest in talking with the CF center re the test that you ask that they run a full Ambry test to test for all of the CF mutations (not just 30 or 100 etc.) they might start with the more common but really need to search for all. When you know them, post and we'll try to help you understand where they fit with the meds. And the other meds that are not fixing the CFTR mutation will make her so much healthier and happier once you start treatment! Hugs and prayers, Love

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hi Jabug. Hopefully you are well on your way to a definitive opinion from a CF Center. I do want to try to clarify a few things for you and hopefully give you some helpful references. First of all, although the ideal is a sweat test from a CF Center, there are apparently other labs doing sweat tests, but I believe they need to be accredited to do them. If you are at an unaccredited lab, your results may be all over the board. It is also apparently possible to use different equipment to perform the test, but the acceptable variations are also designated under the accreditation guidelines. Here is a document provided by the CFF with the Guidelines. http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/tr...-Testing-CFF-Guidelines-J-Pediatrics-2007.pdf Is the next sweat test being done at a lab suggested by the CF Center? I also hope the genetic testing is being done either at the CF Center or by a lab recommended by them.

I mention all this because I read some things that I found odd when you described your testing. Specifically, you indicated they told you to dress your child in heavy clothing - presumably to produce sweat? The sweat collected for the sweat test is chemically generated. They put a substance called pilocarpine on her skin, which (with a mild electrical stimulation) causes her to sweat in that location. Not all over. But obviously if this was suggested by the CF Center, I suspect they have their reasons - perhaps they have found this helpful with children who haven't previously produced enough sweat. There's a video on YouTube by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation that will show you how it's done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UCWoz6gUp8.

I am also unfamiliar with a "quantive" test. I am not a Sweat Test Guru so it may refer to something with which I am not familiar. But I wonder if what they were trying to explain is that there must be a certain quantity of sweat for the test results to be accurate and reliable. If your child did not produce enough sweat on the first test, or really any of them, the results would not be helpful either way. In fact, I don't believe they are supposed to even determine the concentration of salt in the sweat collected unless they first establish that there is enough sweat under the guidelines, or the results will be misleading and confusing. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, again, has links that will explain the recommended steps for testing and diagnosis which you will find helpful.http://www.cff.org/AboutCF/Testing/SweatTest/

It sounds as though your CF Center was saying that the test they did relied on the quantitative approach - meaning first ensuring there was sufficient sweat. That would be the reliable approach! And because they are having you run in effect a THIRD sweat test, it again suggests to me that the first one was not reliable. Usually two borderline tests are enough to move to the next step - an evaluation by the CF Center potentially including gene testing. As you may realize by now, CF is usually diagnosed by sweat testing in conjunction with symptoms, or genetic testing. Not necessarily just the sweat testing alone. Sweat Testing is of course known as "the gold standard" and is therefore a critical piece. But a diagnosis does not necessarily end there, especially in circumstances where the results are borderline.

Perhaps I have gone into too much detail. But I really want to echo the sentiments so many others have expressed so well here. You are doing a remarkable job advocating for your child. Many parents would have justifiably accepted their pulmonologists recommendation and left this alone. Your daughter is lucky to have you! Do let us know how things progressed. I'm thinking about you and your daughter.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Jabug- the Guidelines I mentioned above with a link specifically refer to the sweat test as the "quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis sweat chloride testing". That's the definitive test. That's the testing that was done by your CF Center and that's the testing that has to be done for a diagnosis. So when your CF doc explained that they did more specific testing than the first test at your hospital, I suspect it was a nice way of saying that the original test done at your local hospital was not - shall we say suffixiently "reliable" for the CF Center. I really don't understand why any lab would not be following CFF Guidelines for testing, if that's what happened. But there's your word - quantitative. It's in the full name of the official test.