Stubborn 2 1/2 year old .....refusing enzymes

MomtoZoey

Just looking for some ideas..I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter with CF. She has done very well so far..but for the last few months has started to refuse her enzymes. If you get them in her mouth she will hold them under her tongue for an hour and never swallow. She can't stand applesause anymore. Once in awhile she will swallow the capsules whole if she is eating something she likes. She had no weight gain at our last 3 month appointment at the CF clinic. Her appetite has gotten worse too, she does not eat nearly as much as she used to. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Jocelyn

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know some people have had luck with putting the enzymes in a straw and having them suck up the enzymes with a drink. DS hated applesauce, so we used pureed bananas or peaches. Sometimes even ketchup since he was such a ketchup freak. He was also such a picky eater -- think he lived on spaghettios for two years. We also made sure he got carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk and cream with meals.

I know doctors and nutritionists says they'll eat when they're hungry, but DS wouldn't. So I fed him what I KNEW he'd eat.

How the heck does she hide stuff under her tongue for an hour? Wouldn't they break down and burn her mouth? Yikes!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dear Jocelyn,

If she is keeping the pill under her tongue, then I'd go back to sprinkling it in something because otherwise she could burn her esophagus (sp?). Does she like any other fruits? Our DS only eats prune pureee. Check with CF clinic on what you can use--it is suppose to be a specific type. Then, what I'd suggest is you follow these directions:
http://www.ellynsatter.com/june-201...and-the-division-of-responsibility-i-171.html

Trust me--if you stick to this approach and don't show anger, frustration, etc. and do before any food, this will work. (It was actually a relief because his refusing didn't bother me because I knew what I had to do and that he would eventually take his medicines!) It worked for our son for EVERY new medicine. It took 3 days of waiting him out an hour before he took, but within 1 week he was taking right away--the doctors had started discussing feeding tubes given the difficulty we had getting him to take enzymes. . . he's now at 50% weight!

Hang in there!

JennyCoulon

What about pudding? I know it isnt acidic like the applesauce but it would be better than her just putting them under her tongue. My boys have opened and sprinkled the beads into their mouth, swish them around with water or juice to swallow them all. My oldest can swallow pills but still chooses to take them this way rather than swallow them whole. Maybe let her pick what she wants to take them with each day, put them on a chart and then once she takes them she gets a sticker and after x number of times have her earn something special. This isnt bribing but it gives her some choices and rewards all while taking her enzymes which is ultimately the goal. Good luck

alysmom

Having a 2 years old is a challenge in itself! We were given a cup, similiar to a "sippie cup". The lid of the cup has a lip on it which holds the capsule. When they take a drink, they swallow the capsule. This worked for a couple days then my daughter would just remove the capsule, put it in her mouth and swallow it. Try to find a way to make it fun and good luck!

CyrilCrodius

Giving capsules to toddlers - what?
I'm not surprised she won't take them, she's frigging 2 and a half years old.
I got my enzymes sprinkled in food until I was about 2. Then my mom started opening them and pour them in a pill cup and I would take them with juice, much like what JennyCoulon described. I didn't take whole capsules until I was 4 - old enough to take capsules without fear of choking on them.

Sorry, but giving 2 years olds whole capsules to swallow...