Study on the vest versus PEP therapy

smiles

I heard that the results of this study are out and they showed that the vest landed people on IV treatment more often. Anyone have more details on that?

Beccamom

vest vs pep

I have not seen this study, but I can say my personal experience that could help explain this. My daughter did not get her vest until age 11. Before this time her lung function dropped to FEV1 of 50%. Her PFT results were very often a shock. She always coughed, but no obvious conjestion sinus or lungs since the cough was not productive.

Now since her vest her cough is usually productive when she has a cough. I think the vest keeps the mucus moving in her lungs and possibly vibrating her sinuses as well. Now her productive cough increases and she is immediately put on antibiotics. So yes antibiotics more often. However, her lung function has not dipped by more then 10% and comes right back up to 100% after 3 weeks antibiotics and increased vest time.

I heard that the results of this study are out and they showed that the vest landed people on IV treatment more often. Anyone have more details on that?

Gnome

We use the Pep mask here and it almost never used alone. It is almost always used with manual percussions on the chest. We have no experience with the vest so I can't comment. My son's FEV's are high but he is only 7 years old.

I would say if you don't have a Pep mask get one as they are inexpensive and easy to use. They would compliment the vest or manual percussions as a part of treatment.