Stupid question... re. oily stools??

Aricia

I am a new mum and we are waiting for the gene testing to come back for my 6 week old. He came up positive for one mutation in his newborn screening and had a borderline sweat test.

Now, his bloods came back fine for his vitamins etc. but my question is about the loose or oily stools. I thought babies just had loose stools? How can you tell its oily or whatnot?

My fellow sometimes poops little bits and sometimes saves a big one up... it is of course loose and runny (but still mustary yellow and seedy), but I was told this was normal by my midwifes and docs? What do you look for when it comes to oily poops??

Aricia

I am a new mum and we are waiting for the gene testing to come back for my 6 week old. He came up positive for one mutation in his newborn screening and had a borderline sweat test.

Now, his bloods came back fine for his vitamins etc. but my question is about the loose or oily stools. I thought babies just had loose stools? How can you tell its oily or whatnot?

My fellow sometimes poops little bits and sometimes saves a big one up... it is of course loose and runny (but still mustary yellow and seedy), but I was told this was normal by my midwifes and docs? What do you look for when it comes to oily poops??

Aricia

Aricia

Aricia

<br />
<br />Now, his bloods came back fine for his vitamins etc. but my question is about the loose or oily stools. I thought babies just had loose stools? How can you tell its oily or whatnot?
<br />
<br />My fellow sometimes poops little bits and sometimes saves a big one up... it is of course loose and runny (but still mustary yellow and seedy), but I was told this was normal by my midwifes and docs? What do you look for when it comes to oily poops??

ehtansky21

Our nutritionist suggested something that is not all that fun to do....
Take some of the stool and put it in a cup of water. If there is oil in it, it will seperate from the poop and you will see it rise to the top.
If you see the oil, that means he is not absorbing fat appropriately.

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Take some of the stool and put it in a cup of water. If there is oil in it, it will seperate from the poop and you will see it rise to the top.

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

<br />Take some of the stool and put it in a cup of water. If there is oil in it, it will seperate from the poop and you will see it rise to the top.
<br />If you see the oil, that means he is not absorbing fat appropriately.
<br />
<br />Blessings,
<br />Missa

julieann1966

Hi, we have a 1 1/2 year old baby who was diagnosed just 2 months ago...from very early on though I would see a yellow staining through to the outside of her diaper, very different to regular "poop" leaking through and also when I changed her, her little bottom would have this yellowy orange coating too. The oil tends to leak away from the poop and absorb into the diaper differently.

julieann1966

Hi, we have a 1 1/2 year old baby who was diagnosed just 2 months ago...from very early on though I would see a yellow staining through to the outside of her diaper, very different to regular "poop" leaking through and also when I changed her, her little bottom would have this yellowy orange coating too. The oil tends to leak away from the poop and absorb into the diaper differently.

julieann1966

julieann1966

julieann1966