suggestions for a good CF center and transplant center?

<span class="hps">Hi, <span class="hps">I<span>'ve been thinking about writeing <span class="hps">my <span class="hps">final exam (<span class="hps">university) <span class="hps">in another countryU<span class="hps">sa, Canada. <span class="hps">any <span class="hps">suggestions for <span class="hps">a good <span class="hps">CF <span class="hps">center and <span class="hps">transplant <span class="hps">center? <span class="hps">What about the <span class="hps">possible costs <span class="hps">of hospital <span class="hps">staysand check up, bloodtests <span class="hps">etc? <span class="hps">for one who <span class="hps">is not from U<span class="hps">sa or Canada.
<span class="hps"><span class="hps">thank you very much <span class="hps">for your answers!
<span class="hps">Hugs /Marie

<span class="hps">Hi, <span class="hps">I<span>'ve been thinking about writeing <span class="hps">my <span class="hps">final exam (<span class="hps">university) <span class="hps">in another countryU<span class="hps">sa, Canada. <span class="hps">any <span class="hps">suggestions for <span class="hps">a good <span class="hps">CF <span class="hps">center and <span class="hps">transplant <span class="hps">center? <span class="hps">What about the <span class="hps">possible costs <span class="hps">of hospital <span class="hps">staysand check up, bloodtests <span class="hps">etc? <span class="hps">for one who <span class="hps">is not from U<span class="hps">sa or Canada.
<span class="hps"><span class="hps">thank you very much <span class="hps">for your answers!
<span class="hps">Hugs /Marie

MichaelL

Hi -- I go to the CF centre at St. Michael's hospital in Toronto. It's the second largest adult CF centre in the world and the doctors are very knowledgable across the many types of CF cases. I have unusual mutations and I found they were familiar with them.

I don't know what the student requirements are, but I had to wait 90 days after moving here to be eligible for the government health plan. The government generally does not cover drugs, which can be quite expensive. They cover a few CF meds that were approved in the early to mid-90s such as Cipro but not more recent drugs like TOBI. Other than drugs, my doctor visits and medical tests are fully covered by the provincial health plan.

If you want to learn more eligibility for the Ontario health plan, google "OHIP Ontario"

MichaelL

Hi -- I go to the CF centre at St. Michael's hospital in Toronto. It's the second largest adult CF centre in the world and the doctors are very knowledgable across the many types of CF cases. I have unusual mutations and I found they were familiar with them.

I don't know what the student requirements are, but I had to wait 90 days after moving here to be eligible for the government health plan. The government generally does not cover drugs, which can be quite expensive. They cover a few CF meds that were approved in the early to mid-90s such as Cipro but not more recent drugs like TOBI. Other than drugs, my doctor visits and medical tests are fully covered by the provincial health plan.

If you want to learn more eligibility for the Ontario health plan, google "OHIP Ontario"

CyrilCrodius

Canada has a slightly higher median survival age for people with cyctic fibrosis, so I suggest you pick something in Canada. If money is an issue, you should see if you are eligible for Quebec public health care and prescription drug plans. http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/eligibility.aspx So if money is an issue, you might want to choose the Montreal transplant center. Montreal isn't very far away from Toronto (5 hours drive, I think), so I don't think there will be a huge discrepancy in the competency of both centers to deal with cystic fibrosis and lung transplant patients.

coltsfan715

I think it is really difficult to take recommendations for transplant centers honestly. I would more evaluate first if there is an area or a climate that you may fair better living in. For instance, pre transplant I had difficulty when I was in cold weather, so I never would have chosen a transplant center in the north.

If you have nothing keeping you in a certain climate or part of the USA or Canada, then I would look at your personal situation and say okay are you considered higher risk - meaning what bacteria do you culture? resistance? other health issues? Is it more important to you that you go to a center that does a lot of CF transplants? high risk transplants? one that does the most lung transplants? has highest survival rates?

Personally I wanted a center that was good but that I didn't have to relocate to go too. I was lucky and Mayo Clinic is in my back yard. When I got listed they didn't do a ton of CF transplants, but now they do more. They had average survival rates at the time, but they also did a lot of high risk transplants. I am kind of considered high risk. I had MRSA, diabetes and other random issues to be considered. Personally I know there used to be a good portion of patients from other countries at Mayo, but I am not sure the reasoning for that or if that is still the case.

Good luck with making your decision. There are plenty of people here and at Transplantbuddies.org that could give you input on different transplant centers, and I hope you find the information you are looking to find.