Summer and overheating

sdavis227

I know this subject has been brought up in previous years and maybe even this year, but please remind me.

DS is 2 now and we were outside the other day while it was pretty warm. He got pretty red and we took him inside and gave him some water with salt in it.

Why is it that they get overheated and what can I do to keep him safe while letting him play outside like a normal child?

Thanks all!

sdavis227

I know this subject has been brought up in previous years and maybe even this year, but please remind me.

DS is 2 now and we were outside the other day while it was pretty warm. He got pretty red and we took him inside and gave him some water with salt in it.

Why is it that they get overheated and what can I do to keep him safe while letting him play outside like a normal child?

Thanks all!

sdavis227

Thanks all!

sdavis227

Thanks all!

sdavis227

<br />
<br />DS is 2 now and we were outside the other day while it was pretty warm. He got pretty red and we took him inside and gave him some water with salt in it.
<br />
<br />Why is it that they get overheated and what can I do to keep him safe while letting him play outside like a normal child?
<br />
<br />Thanks all!

T

TonyaH

I don't think the problem is overheating,,,I think the problem is dehydration and a need to replace the salt they lose through perspiration. You did the right thing. Adding salt to his drinking water is fantastic. Also, encouraging salty snacks helps alot! I take pickles to the pool quite often. Tortilla chips and pretzels are also good, but even better if they can be dipped in something calorie rich like dips and sauces (which also add more salt!)

T

TonyaH

I don't think the problem is overheating,,,I think the problem is dehydration and a need to replace the salt they lose through perspiration. You did the right thing. Adding salt to his drinking water is fantastic. Also, encouraging salty snacks helps alot! I take pickles to the pool quite often. Tortilla chips and pretzels are also good, but even better if they can be dipped in something calorie rich like dips and sauces (which also add more salt!)

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Both of my children overheat easily. With Maggie, I use gatorade a hat and shade. Part of the problem with Maggie is she barely sweats, not sure why but sweating would cool you down.. We live in a cool climate, but when it does get hot we avoid the sun in the middle of the day. Lots of popsicles and cool treats are good too. Salty pretzels and chips are a must. Also, we don't like the humid weather either.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Both of my children overheat easily. With Maggie, I use gatorade a hat and shade. Part of the problem with Maggie is she barely sweats, not sure why but sweating would cool you down.. We live in a cool climate, but when it does get hot we avoid the sun in the middle of the day. Lots of popsicles and cool treats are good too. Salty pretzels and chips are a must. Also, we don't like the humid weather either.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I would have taken a picture of DS' baseball cap last year -- purple, yet totally covered with white from all the salt he sweats out.

When he was younger (your son's age) we had to remind him to drink, would put salt in his kool-aid, give him gatorade, salty snacks... His daycare would do the same AND carry crackers or pretzels when they played outside. Last year I just sent along a salt shaker and he took hits off that and drank water.

He loves playing outside and we want him to be active.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I would have taken a picture of DS' baseball cap last year -- purple, yet totally covered with white from all the salt he sweats out.

When he was younger (your son's age) we had to remind him to drink, would put salt in his kool-aid, give him gatorade, salty snacks... His daycare would do the same AND carry crackers or pretzels when they played outside. Last year I just sent along a salt shaker and he took hits off that and drank water.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />When he was younger (your son's age) we had to remind him to drink, would put salt in his kool-aid, give him gatorade, salty snacks... His daycare would do the same AND carry crackers or pretzels when they played outside. Last year I just sent along a salt shaker and he took hits off that and drank water.
<br />
<br />He loves playing outside and we want him to be active.