Supplemental Insurance

texaslady22

We have several supplemental policies that we've had for awhile. One is an Allstate Cancer policy that pays per each day in ICU (it's primarily cancer but the ICU waiver pays for any stay). I know CF kids are in the hospital often, but how often are they in ICU? I have to really figure out our budget and get rid of this policy if we likely won't benefit from it.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Does your state have a CF supplemental insurance policy? Ours does and it covers all CF-related co-pays. CF differs for each person, but absent very serious complications most hospitalizations are not ICU.

JENNYC

Hi! I live in Texas too! We got supplemental insurance last year and it is my Hail Mary! Abby is in the hospital at least twice a year and has had 15 surgeries and she has never been in ICU but she's also not that sick as far as her CF goes, so others hopefully can chime in and help you with the ICU part. Anyhow we have Combined Insurance and it pays us 800 per admission and 200 a day while in hospital and 100 a day for recovery time after home. It also pays fuel and room and board if more than 100 miles from your home. It pays 100 per ER visit, so much per ambulance, 500 to 1000 per surgery. It pays my copay for me and then some. We are actually going to make money off of this plan unless Abby manages to stay out of the hospital this year. We pay 143 per month for all 4 of us. I'll be happy to send you the brochures to it if you want to take a look. This is my peace of mind. :)

JENNYC

I've never heard of a CF supplemental insurance policy but would love to learn more about it. I'll try googling it. :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Jenny, sorry that is my "short-hand." Basically it is through the state as a "special needs" "insurance." Every state is different but the "insurance" covers only specific conditions, such as CF, sickle-cell, mind-freeze the one your blood won't clot. In our state you qualify no matter your income level and age (so includes adults), but you pay a "premium" based on income. Then it covers all co-pays. For us, it costs more in premiums than co-pays but we do in case they ever stop offering thinking they'll likely grandfather folks. It does cover the drink supplements too, which insurance doesn't. The CF social workers give us all the info at the first appointment it's techincally called "Children Special Health Services."

M

Murphysmama

In our state we qualify for Medicaid because they have a special Medicaid program for children with serious health conditions. My son is eligible every year until he is 18 as long as he has minimal financial assets in his name. The process is a bear and we renew yearly but it is a blessing. We are in a very fortunate position to have private insurance through work and this is addition. We pay almost nothing out of pocket. The social worker at our clinic got us started and I believe she told me there are a handful of other states who fund similar programs. Our program is called TEFRA. I have tried to research it for other states but haven't been successful in finding info. Worth a google at least :)