Supporting someone DX later in life

jamoncita

i don't see how adjusting to an entirely new lifestyle is any easier if one is diagnosed during their teens or their twenties versus being 30 and older. in fact it seems to me that a larger challenge must be faced for a young person to be forced to grow up so suddenly. i was diagnosed at 16 and it has had a huge impact on my life. i was always sick, but it seemed manageable and then it seemed like all hope was lost for a long while. things are certainly better now, and i'm in the best health of my life, but it wasn't easy just because i was young at diagnosis. (yes, i'm a little upset at the age-ist tone of this topic).

jamoncita

i don't see how adjusting to an entirely new lifestyle is any easier if one is diagnosed during their teens or their twenties versus being 30 and older. in fact it seems to me that a larger challenge must be faced for a young person to be forced to grow up so suddenly. i was diagnosed at 16 and it has had a huge impact on my life. i was always sick, but it seemed manageable and then it seemed like all hope was lost for a long while. things are certainly better now, and i'm in the best health of my life, but it wasn't easy just because i was young at diagnosis. (yes, i'm a little upset at the age-ist tone of this topic).

JustDucky

Like all of the others, it was a relief to finally get dx'd even at 33. I was never really healthy and spent a lot of time in and out of hospitals for respiratory problems, especially from my early 20's on. CF never crossed my mind until my GP brought it up after she reviewed my cultures and digestion problems. She was new to my case and literally combed through my encyclopedic medical charts and suggested I get tested. I thought she was nuts, but after some research, I could not believe that no one else sent me for testing because of the many symptoms I had. Anyhow, the rest is history and here I am. I am happy that I am getting the proper treatment and most importantly, that I know what has been making me so sick over the years. I hate not knowing. It was tough getting used to the regimine, I won't lie......but now it is like brushing my teeth, it's just something I need to do.

Jenn 40 wCF

JustDucky

Like all of the others, it was a relief to finally get dx'd even at 33. I was never really healthy and spent a lot of time in and out of hospitals for respiratory problems, especially from my early 20's on. CF never crossed my mind until my GP brought it up after she reviewed my cultures and digestion problems. She was new to my case and literally combed through my encyclopedic medical charts and suggested I get tested. I thought she was nuts, but after some research, I could not believe that no one else sent me for testing because of the many symptoms I had. Anyhow, the rest is history and here I am. I am happy that I am getting the proper treatment and most importantly, that I know what has been making me so sick over the years. I hate not knowing. It was tough getting used to the regimine, I won't lie......but now it is like brushing my teeth, it's just something I need to do.

Jenn 40 wCF