Swallowed mucus causing pancreatitis?

sccf

Hi- This is my first time posting here, but I have enjoyed reading the boards and learning from your comments for some time.
I have sinus and pancreatic problems, but have luckily had fairly minor lung problems thus far. However, I currently have a sinus and lung infection, and I am coughing up mucus, and mucus is going down my throat. I have swallowed a fair amount. I have had minor pancreatitis all week. No appetite and pancreatic pain...this happens fairly frequently, but it usually goes away more quickly if I don't eat/drink anything. I haven't eaten or had anything to drink (except a little water) in the past 5 days, but the pain is still there.
Could there be any chance that the thick drainage I am swallowing is causing problems for the pancreas? If the mucus secreted by the pancreas can cause pancreatitis, could the passage of the mucus that I am swallowing cause similar issues? This seems a bit far-fetched, but I can't figure out another reason why the pain isn't going away like it usually does!
Thank you!

sccf

Hi- This is my first time posting here, but I have enjoyed reading the boards and learning from your comments for some time.
I have sinus and pancreatic problems, but have luckily had fairly minor lung problems thus far. However, I currently have a sinus and lung infection, and I am coughing up mucus, and mucus is going down my throat. I have swallowed a fair amount. I have had minor pancreatitis all week. No appetite and pancreatic pain...this happens fairly frequently, but it usually goes away more quickly if I don't eat/drink anything. I haven't eaten or had anything to drink (except a little water) in the past 5 days, but the pain is still there.
Could there be any chance that the thick drainage I am swallowing is causing problems for the pancreas? If the mucus secreted by the pancreas can cause pancreatitis, could the passage of the mucus that I am swallowing cause similar issues? This seems a bit far-fetched, but I can't figure out another reason why the pain isn't going away like it usually does!
Thank you!

Havoc

Like you, I think the mucus theory is pretty far out there.

I have heard of mild pancreatitis being linked to both certain types of antibiotics as well as corticosteroids, which could be a factor given you are having both a pulmonary and sinusoid exacerbation.

I assume you have had pancreatitis before and can differentiate the pain from other possible causes like gastric ulcer. Since it has been 5 days already, I would phone your clinic and get their take. An office visit and an ultrasound or a CT might not be a bad idea.

Good luck

Havoc

Like you, I think the mucus theory is pretty far out there.

I have heard of mild pancreatitis being linked to both certain types of antibiotics as well as corticosteroids, which could be a factor given you are having both a pulmonary and sinusoid exacerbation.

I assume you have had pancreatitis before and can differentiate the pain from other possible causes like gastric ulcer. Since it has been 5 days already, I would phone your clinic and get their take. An office visit and an ultrasound or a CT might not be a bad idea.

Good luck

Printer

The bacteria that you swallow will follow the same route as the food that you eat and does not go into the pancreasis. Bacteria, however does find its way into the blood stream and will find its way into all of your organs. Contact your CF Doctor and be treated for your pancreatitis ASAP. Trust me, this is nothing to play with.

Bill

Printer

The bacteria that you swallow will follow the same route as the food that you eat and does not go into the pancreasis. Bacteria, however does find its way into the blood stream and will find its way into all of your organs. Contact your CF Doctor and be treated for your pancreatitis ASAP. Trust me, this is nothing to play with.

Bill