Swallowing enzymes

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>tabbycat821</b></i>

We were told by our first clinic that the enzymes had to be taken with something acidic in order for them to work properly, has anyone else been told this? We ran out of applesauce and I have been mixing the enzymes with a little apple juice and a bit of cereal to thicken it. I also figured the cereal would add calories, I know very little calories but anything helps.</end quote></div>

Yes it is common practice to use apple sauce for the acid to help the enzymes work, but if there is a choice between not having the sauce & not giving the enzymes...obviously you use something else.

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>tabbycat821</b></i>

We were told by our first clinic that the enzymes had to be taken with something acidic in order for them to work properly, has anyone else been told this? We ran out of applesauce and I have been mixing the enzymes with a little apple juice and a bit of cereal to thicken it. I also figured the cereal would add calories, I know very little calories but anything helps.</end quote></div>

Yes it is common practice to use apple sauce for the acid to help the enzymes work, but if there is a choice between not having the sauce & not giving the enzymes...obviously you use something else.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

We were told by our first clinic that the enzymes had to be taken with something acidic in order for them to work properly, has anyone else been told this? We ran out of applesauce and I have been mixing the enzymes with a little apple juice and a bit of cereal to thicken it. I also figured the cereal would add calories, I know very little calories but anything helps.</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />We were told by our first clinic that the enzymes had to be taken with something acidic in order for them to work properly, has anyone else been told this? We ran out of applesauce and I have been mixing the enzymes with a little apple juice and a bit of cereal to thicken it. I also figured the cereal would add calories, I know very little calories but anything helps.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Yes it is common practice to use apple sauce for the acid to help the enzymes work, but if there is a choice between not having the sauce & not giving the enzymes...obviously you use something else.
<br />
<br />

M

Mommy2Zeke

Our Dr. said the Creon beads are composed of 2 layers: enzymes on the inside and a protective coating on the outside. Without the protective coating, the enzymes would be neutralized in the stomach acids and wouldn't do their job in the intestines. Thus, the protective coating which is eaten away by stomach acids, exposing the enzymes just in time for action in the intestines.

So, why wouldn't enzymes work without acidic food? as long as your LO has stomach acid...
Worst cases: a) the applesauce acid would start working on the creon before it reaches his stomach, which would expose the enzymes too early and they wouldn't work; b) if stomach acid is not enough, I guess the enzymes would still be coated when they leave the stomach and maybe not do their job. Either way, the result would be less food absorption - I'm betting a dr. would tell you to try non-acidic food for a period (week? 2 weeks?) and monitor weight gain.

Having said all that, our Dr. started us out on a mix of creon 5 with about a spoonful of rice cereal, made into a paste with milk or formula. We can make it as runny or thick as necessary. Dr. said we *could* use applesauce as well (which we have also done). Zeke seemed to tolerate the bland rice on his stomach better than the applesauce.

disclaimer: contents of this post should not be taken as medical advice and any changes to diet or medication should be discussed with your medical provider, blah blah blah...
- Zeke's Dad

M

Mommy2Zeke

Our Dr. said the Creon beads are composed of 2 layers: enzymes on the inside and a protective coating on the outside. Without the protective coating, the enzymes would be neutralized in the stomach acids and wouldn't do their job in the intestines. Thus, the protective coating which is eaten away by stomach acids, exposing the enzymes just in time for action in the intestines.

So, why wouldn't enzymes work without acidic food? as long as your LO has stomach acid...
Worst cases: a) the applesauce acid would start working on the creon before it reaches his stomach, which would expose the enzymes too early and they wouldn't work; b) if stomach acid is not enough, I guess the enzymes would still be coated when they leave the stomach and maybe not do their job. Either way, the result would be less food absorption - I'm betting a dr. would tell you to try non-acidic food for a period (week? 2 weeks?) and monitor weight gain.

Having said all that, our Dr. started us out on a mix of creon 5 with about a spoonful of rice cereal, made into a paste with milk or formula. We can make it as runny or thick as necessary. Dr. said we *could* use applesauce as well (which we have also done). Zeke seemed to tolerate the bland rice on his stomach better than the applesauce.

disclaimer: contents of this post should not be taken as medical advice and any changes to diet or medication should be discussed with your medical provider, blah blah blah...
- Zeke's Dad

M

Mommy2Zeke

- Zeke's Dad

M

Mommy2Zeke

- Zeke's Dad

M

Mommy2Zeke

<br />
<br />So, why wouldn't enzymes work without acidic food? as long as your LO has stomach acid...
<br />Worst cases: a) the applesauce acid would start working on the creon before it reaches his stomach, which would expose the enzymes too early and they wouldn't work; b) if stomach acid is not enough, I guess the enzymes would still be coated when they leave the stomach and maybe not do their job. Either way, the result would be less food absorption - I'm betting a dr. would tell you to try non-acidic food for a period (week? 2 weeks?) and monitor weight gain.
<br />
<br />Having said all that, our Dr. started us out on a mix of creon 5 with about a spoonful of rice cereal, made into a paste with milk or formula. We can make it as runny or thick as necessary. Dr. said we *could* use applesauce as well (which we have also done). Zeke seemed to tolerate the bland rice on his stomach better than the applesauce.
<br />
<br />disclaimer: contents of this post should not be taken as medical advice and any changes to diet or medication should be discussed with your medical provider, blah blah blah...
<br />- Zeke's Dad

JosephinesMommy

Until about a month ago, when we started up with the fruit again, we poured the enzymes in Josephine's mouth and washed them down with a high calorie mix of BM and formula, about 5mls worth. I worked really well and helped gain a few more cals. We reverted to the fruit and we definately saw a change for the better in her poop.

JosephinesMommy

Until about a month ago, when we started up with the fruit again, we poured the enzymes in Josephine's mouth and washed them down with a high calorie mix of BM and formula, about 5mls worth. I worked really well and helped gain a few more cals. We reverted to the fruit and we definately saw a change for the better in her poop.

JosephinesMommy

JosephinesMommy

JosephinesMommy

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've even used chocolate syrup, jelly and ketchup in a pinch when there hasn't been any fruit available. And I have seen enzyme beads turn to mush more quickly with a dairy product than fruit

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've even used chocolate syrup, jelly and ketchup in a pinch when there hasn't been any fruit available. And I have seen enzyme beads turn to mush more quickly with a dairy product than fruit

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member