Sweat questions?

geniecarter

When they say CF Kids taste salty what do they mean like super salty like a potato chip of just sweaty salty. Because both my boys taste salty to me, Seth has always been that way. Now that we are goinbg through this with Riley i think back and Seth has had frequent infections, Ear, lung, and sinus. Really stinky poo and has been coughing since literally the day he was born. Will they do a sweat test on Seth if Riley turns up positive?

geniecarter

When they say CF Kids taste salty what do they mean like super salty like a potato chip of just sweaty salty. Because both my boys taste salty to me, Seth has always been that way. Now that we are goinbg through this with Riley i think back and Seth has had frequent infections, Ear, lung, and sinus. Really stinky poo and has been coughing since literally the day he was born. Will they do a sweat test on Seth if Riley turns up positive?

geniecarter

<br />

M

Mommafirst

My daughter doesn't taste all that salty to me. Not like a potato chip or anything.

If your son comes back positive, they will test the siblings. In our case, they didn't do sweat tests, they did bloodwork to confirm the same genetics as my daughter.

M

Mommafirst

My daughter doesn't taste all that salty to me. Not like a potato chip or anything.

If your son comes back positive, they will test the siblings. In our case, they didn't do sweat tests, they did bloodwork to confirm the same genetics as my daughter.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />If your son comes back positive, they will test the siblings. In our case, they didn't do sweat tests, they did bloodwork to confirm the same genetics as my daughter.

SadiesMom

Sadie didn't taste very salty to as a baby, except on her feet. If I kissed her feet, they would burn my lips because they were so salty. Wyatt's head would taste salty to me though, it was one of the first signs that I knew he had it.

It's my understanding that they test older siblings if younger siblings come back positive.

SadiesMom

Sadie didn't taste very salty to as a baby, except on her feet. If I kissed her feet, they would burn my lips because they were so salty. Wyatt's head would taste salty to me though, it was one of the first signs that I knew he had it.

It's my understanding that they test older siblings if younger siblings come back positive.

SadiesMom

<br />
<br />It's my understanding that they test older siblings if younger siblings come back positive.

hmw

Emily tastes noticeably salty- when i kiss her forehead near her hairline I can taste the salt on my lips after and it kind of burns. It's nothing like her brothers. Her sweat test was 3x as high as one of her brothers and twice as high as the other, so I am not surprised it's a noticeable difference.

At our clinic they test sibs if one child is dx'ed, regardless of age or symptoms. One of my sons had a borderline sweat test and the other was a pretty high negative (34 or 36) so they both also had genetic testing. Neither turned out to have cf.

hmw

Emily tastes noticeably salty- when i kiss her forehead near her hairline I can taste the salt on my lips after and it kind of burns. It's nothing like her brothers. Her sweat test was 3x as high as one of her brothers and twice as high as the other, so I am not surprised it's a noticeable difference.

At our clinic they test sibs if one child is dx'ed, regardless of age or symptoms. One of my sons had a borderline sweat test and the other was a pretty high negative (34 or 36) so they both also had genetic testing. Neither turned out to have cf.

hmw

<br />
<br />At our clinic they test sibs if one child is dx'ed, regardless of age or symptoms. One of my sons had a borderline sweat test and the other was a pretty high negative (34 or 36) so they both also had genetic testing. Neither turned out to have cf.

Monty13

Hi Everybody,

I have a question concerning salt. The CF clinic here in Cape Town South Africa has prescribed 2mls sodium chloride 2 to 3 times a day depending on how hot the day is. Is it harmful to give the little one 4mls at a time? Could it cause him to sweat even more?

He's 1 year, 6 months old & extremely active. His eyes is looking a bit sunken today but everything else is fine, we are just trying our best to get his eyes back to normal.

Monty13

Hi Everybody,

I have a question concerning salt. The CF clinic here in Cape Town South Africa has prescribed 2mls sodium chloride 2 to 3 times a day depending on how hot the day is. Is it harmful to give the little one 4mls at a time? Could it cause him to sweat even more?

He's 1 year, 6 months old & extremely active. His eyes is looking a bit sunken today but everything else is fine, we are just trying our best to get his eyes back to normal.

Monty13

Hi Everybody,
<br />
<br />I have a question concerning salt. The CF clinic here in Cape Town South Africa has prescribed 2mls sodium chloride 2 to 3 times a day depending on how hot the day is. Is it harmful to give the little one 4mls at a time? Could it cause him to sweat even more?
<br />
<br />He's 1 year, 6 months old & extremely active. His eyes is looking a bit sunken today but everything else is fine, we are just trying our best to get his eyes back to normal.

hmw

Giving him the salt isn't going to cause him to sweat more. Rather, it's to help replace the sodium lost through sweating.

Sunken eyes is a sign of dehydration; it's important to give plenty of fluids along with the sodium. Giving 4ml at a time vs. 2ml more frequently is something you'll have to ask the dr. about~ I don't know.

hmw

Giving him the salt isn't going to cause him to sweat more. Rather, it's to help replace the sodium lost through sweating.

Sunken eyes is a sign of dehydration; it's important to give plenty of fluids along with the sodium. Giving 4ml at a time vs. 2ml more frequently is something you'll have to ask the dr. about~ I don't know.