Sweat Test Results are in!

Munkeesmama

Not sure if anybody remembers me but I was here awhile back asking questions about my daughter. She has alot of g.i. issues, failure to thrive, has a g-tube (was a preemie so could be preemie related) she's 2 1/2. Anyways, her sweat test numbers were 19 and 22. I know these are considered normal, but they seem "high" to me from reading here. She also had genetic testing but they tested 100 genes (or right under 100) which i know is barely touching the surface. That test came back negative. With these sweat test numbers and the negative on the intial genetic testing would you feel comfortable calling CF ruled out? Or would you push for more testing. Also, anybody here have numbers in the high teens/low 20's and have CF or even have cf after the intial blood tests?

Munkeesmama

Not sure if anybody remembers me but I was here awhile back asking questions about my daughter. She has alot of g.i. issues, failure to thrive, has a g-tube (was a preemie so could be preemie related) she's 2 1/2. Anyways, her sweat test numbers were 19 and 22. I know these are considered normal, but they seem "high" to me from reading here. She also had genetic testing but they tested 100 genes (or right under 100) which i know is barely touching the surface. That test came back negative. With these sweat test numbers and the negative on the intial genetic testing would you feel comfortable calling CF ruled out? Or would you push for more testing. Also, anybody here have numbers in the high teens/low 20's and have CF or even have cf after the intial blood tests?

Munkeesmama

Munkeesmama

Munkeesmama

S

sdelorenzo

I would feel pretty good that my child did not have cf with 19 & 22 on the sweat test and 90-95%% of the most common genes tested.

If you are still concerned why don't you ask the GI dr to allow you to try enzymes for your daughter. You could see if they help her gain weight and regulate her bowel movements.

Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

I would feel pretty good that my child did not have cf with 19 & 22 on the sweat test and 90-95%% of the most common genes tested.

If you are still concerned why don't you ask the GI dr to allow you to try enzymes for your daughter. You could see if they help her gain weight and regulate her bowel movements.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />
<br />If you are still concerned why don't you ask the GI dr to allow you to try enzymes for your daughter. You could see if they help her gain weight and regulate her bowel movements.
<br />
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

M

Mommafirst

Honestly, if your child had no symptoms I'd say you could rule it put and be done. But considering the symptoms you might either do the full genetics now or at least keep it as an option if nothing else turns up as an explanation.

The thing is, missing a diagnosis could mean failure to get the right preventative care. I'd hate to tell you to feel secure in crossing CF off the list only to find later, when lung damage kicks in, that it really was CF.

M

Mommafirst

Honestly, if your child had no symptoms I'd say you could rule it put and be done. But considering the symptoms you might either do the full genetics now or at least keep it as an option if nothing else turns up as an explanation.

The thing is, missing a diagnosis could mean failure to get the right preventative care. I'd hate to tell you to feel secure in crossing CF off the list only to find later, when lung damage kicks in, that it really was CF.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />The thing is, missing a diagnosis could mean failure to get the right preventative care. I'd hate to tell you to feel secure in crossing CF off the list only to find later, when lung damage kicks in, that it really was CF.