sweat test results

ljhwill

I would like some advice regarding my 1 year old's sweat test results. The number was 29 and the pediatrician told me he is negative, and his lung problems are due to a high IGE number (he has severe food allergies.) After lurking on this forum, I see that 29 is not all that low after all. He was tested at an accredited location and at the time of testing, I asked how many mutations they were able to test for, and she said over 1000. (yes, I know vague) They also were only able to gather enough sweat from one of the arms.

Thoughts? I know that many will think that I should ask for further testing for peace of mind. I probably will do this, but I guess I am wondering your thoughts on what is most likely? Meaning, are most people in this scenario truly negative?

Thank you!

ljhwill

I would like some advice regarding my 1 year old's sweat test results. The number was 29 and the pediatrician told me he is negative, and his lung problems are due to a high IGE number (he has severe food allergies.) After lurking on this forum, I see that 29 is not all that low after all. He was tested at an accredited location and at the time of testing, I asked how many mutations they were able to test for, and she said over 1000. (yes, I know vague) They also were only able to gather enough sweat from one of the arms.

Thoughts? I know that many will think that I should ask for further testing for peace of mind. I probably will do this, but I guess I am wondering your thoughts on what is most likely? Meaning, are most people in this scenario truly negative?

Thank you!

ljhwill

Thank you!

ljhwill

Thank you!

ljhwill

<br />
<br />Thoughts? I know that many will think that I should ask for further testing for peace of mind. I probably will do this, but I guess I am wondering your thoughts on what is most likely? Meaning, are most people in this scenario truly negative?
<br />
<br />Thank you!

JORDYSMOM

Hi and welcome. I'm a little confused on something. You said you asked when he was being sweat tested, how many mutations they could test for, and you were told over 1000. While it's true that they CAN test for over 1000 (actually over 1500!)sweat tests do not test for mutations. That has to be done through DNA testing. Did they draw blood and send it off to a DNA lab? If not, get this done. Insist, push, do whatever you have to do to get them to run the full-panel DNA test.

The sweat test number of 29 is not, in my opinion, a clear negative. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many members here with sweat test numbers even lower than that, and when the DNA tests were run, they found two CF mutations. I hope you can find the answers you need to help your son. Please keep us posted.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Hi and welcome. I'm a little confused on something. You said you asked when he was being sweat tested, how many mutations they could test for, and you were told over 1000. While it's true that they CAN test for over 1000 (actually over 1500!)sweat tests do not test for mutations. That has to be done through DNA testing. Did they draw blood and send it off to a DNA lab? If not, get this done. Insist, push, do whatever you have to do to get them to run the full-panel DNA test.

The sweat test number of 29 is not, in my opinion, a clear negative. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many members here with sweat test numbers even lower than that, and when the DNA tests were run, they found two CF mutations. I hope you can find the answers you need to help your son. Please keep us posted.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />The sweat test number of 29 is not, in my opinion, a clear negative. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many members here with sweat test numbers even lower than that, and when the DNA tests were run, they found two CF mutations. I hope you can find the answers you need to help your son. Please keep us posted.
<br />
<br />Stacey

ljhwill

Yes, that is what she said. I don't know why she would say that, and I didn't know better to question further. Cinda

ljhwill

Yes, that is what she said. I don't know why she would say that, and I didn't know better to question further. Cinda

ljhwill

ljhwill

ljhwill

JazzysMom

It sounds like a bit of confusion in the communication. IF no blood has been drawn then no mutations are being looked for. She might have meant they COULD look for over 1000, but its not being done.

I would also push for the genetic testing. Sweat tests are usually the starting point due to cost, but its not the gold standard of testing that it once was.

If you have any other ?? please bring them to us!

HUGS

JazzysMom

It sounds like a bit of confusion in the communication. IF no blood has been drawn then no mutations are being looked for. She might have meant they COULD look for over 1000, but its not being done.

I would also push for the genetic testing. Sweat tests are usually the starting point due to cost, but its not the gold standard of testing that it once was.

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I would also push for the genetic testing. Sweat tests are usually the starting point due to cost, but its not the gold standard of testing that it once was.
<br />
<br />If you have any other ?? please bring them to us!
<br />
<br />HUGS