sweat test tomorrow...concerned mom

momsbreak9

Hi all!
My son is going in for a sweat test tomorrow. He is 8 and has been sick all his life. He is prone to severe illnesses, has asthma and doesnt gain weight. he is 48 lbs and has been for almost 2 years now. He also has numerous food allergies. We have been working with drs for years to figure out why his immune system is so low. he has had viral menegitis 2 times, another entroviral infection same family as menengitis, mono, rsv and strep more times than i can count, and every cold is a major illness for him, and goes right to asthma. He runs mystery fevers and chest pain. I had to pull him out of public schools due to frequent illnesses. we recently moved and just met his new dr. She it sending him to get a sweat test. On one hand i would LOVE to have answers for my little guy and finally know whats going on with him! Then we at least would have some direction to go.. and I can answer his question of "whats wrong with me and why do I get sick all the time" Its been a very frustrating road for years now. On the other hand... Im a little scared that this IS what it is!
I just wanted.. i dont know.. hoping someone would have some idea of what we have been going thru! if its not this.. I dont know where to turn. If it IS this..I dont know what we are getting into. sorry for the rambling I just needed to get my thoughts out there. Anyone else go through things like this that can give me some encouragement?
Thanks!
momsbreak9

momsbreak9

Hi all!
My son is going in for a sweat test tomorrow. He is 8 and has been sick all his life. He is prone to severe illnesses, has asthma and doesnt gain weight. he is 48 lbs and has been for almost 2 years now. He also has numerous food allergies. We have been working with drs for years to figure out why his immune system is so low. he has had viral menegitis 2 times, another entroviral infection same family as menengitis, mono, rsv and strep more times than i can count, and every cold is a major illness for him, and goes right to asthma. He runs mystery fevers and chest pain. I had to pull him out of public schools due to frequent illnesses. we recently moved and just met his new dr. She it sending him to get a sweat test. On one hand i would LOVE to have answers for my little guy and finally know whats going on with him! Then we at least would have some direction to go.. and I can answer his question of "whats wrong with me and why do I get sick all the time" Its been a very frustrating road for years now. On the other hand... Im a little scared that this IS what it is!
I just wanted.. i dont know.. hoping someone would have some idea of what we have been going thru! if its not this.. I dont know where to turn. If it IS this..I dont know what we are getting into. sorry for the rambling I just needed to get my thoughts out there. Anyone else go through things like this that can give me some encouragement?
Thanks!
momsbreak9

momsbreak9

Hi all!
Thanks!
momsbreak9

PACmommy

I have been there and know excactly how you're feeling. CF is the last thing we wanted to here, and now when people talk about asthma, I wish we go back to the days when we thought our daughter had asthma.
Like I've said before, knowledge is power, and to know means you can put your "game face" on and deal with a proper diagnosis. If your son's results are positive, the information out there can be overwhelming as well as scary. You have to be discerning about what you read.
Treatment is not easy, (meds and chest physio) but it's amazing how quickly life adjusts, 5 months later it's just part of our routine of the day. I really think that our children are also alot stronger than we give them credit for. My daughter is a real inspiration to me, she doesn't let anything stop her.
I also think it's quite allright to just get on your knees and pray, it's okay to be angry and scared and I took alot of it out on God, I found great strength there. Through our experiences my faith is stronger, my marriage and family life has all been enrichened and now we're moving on to deal with life one day at a time.

PACmommy

I have been there and know excactly how you're feeling. CF is the last thing we wanted to here, and now when people talk about asthma, I wish we go back to the days when we thought our daughter had asthma.
Like I've said before, knowledge is power, and to know means you can put your "game face" on and deal with a proper diagnosis. If your son's results are positive, the information out there can be overwhelming as well as scary. You have to be discerning about what you read.
Treatment is not easy, (meds and chest physio) but it's amazing how quickly life adjusts, 5 months later it's just part of our routine of the day. I really think that our children are also alot stronger than we give them credit for. My daughter is a real inspiration to me, she doesn't let anything stop her.
I also think it's quite allright to just get on your knees and pray, it's okay to be angry and scared and I took alot of it out on God, I found great strength there. Through our experiences my faith is stronger, my marriage and family life has all been enrichened and now we're moving on to deal with life one day at a time.

PACmommy

momsbreak9

thank you Pac for your kind words of encouragement! Trystin is already on daily meds for asthma and I have had to do CP on him. After his T&A surgery a year ago his lungs filled with fluids. I think I can handle that! I have to agree with ya that there is alot of info and need to be discerning! I think im not going to read any more websites except this forum unless Trystin is diagnosed. I was scaring myself lol! My thoughts and prayers are out there for all of you who are diagnosed or have children diagnosed with CF! I never knew that much about it until now. You all are such wonderful strong people. Even if Trystin doesnt end up having this, I am better for having seen all of you. It will help greatly with our daily struggles with his health just knowing we are not alone.

momsbreak9

thank you Pac for your kind words of encouragement! Trystin is already on daily meds for asthma and I have had to do CP on him. After his T&A surgery a year ago his lungs filled with fluids. I think I can handle that! I have to agree with ya that there is alot of info and need to be discerning! I think im not going to read any more websites except this forum unless Trystin is diagnosed. I was scaring myself lol! My thoughts and prayers are out there for all of you who are diagnosed or have children diagnosed with CF! I never knew that much about it until now. You all are such wonderful strong people. Even if Trystin doesnt end up having this, I am better for having seen all of you. It will help greatly with our daily struggles with his health just knowing we are not alone.

momsbreak9

Alyssa

If you have time, read my post about sweat test numbers (link in my signature line) -- if your son falls anywhere in the 30's you should continue to push for FULL GENETIC testing. Many people on this site have CF, but have "normal" or "borderline" sweat test numbers.

I wish you well -- please be sure to tell us what the results are.

Alyssa

If you have time, read my post about sweat test numbers (link in my signature line) -- if your son falls anywhere in the 30's you should continue to push for FULL GENETIC testing. Many people on this site have CF, but have "normal" or "borderline" sweat test numbers.

Alyssa

rubiesmom

Hello momsbreak9, I know exactly what you're going through. My daughter who is 6 just had her sweat test done yesterday and we wont have the results till monday. Shes only 35lbs and she eats all the time, shes showing a lot of the digetive symptoms and we're terrified for her.
I'll pray for your little guy and I hope it all goes well for him and you're whole family.

rubiesmom

Hello momsbreak9, I know exactly what you're going through. My daughter who is 6 just had her sweat test done yesterday and we wont have the results till monday. Shes only 35lbs and she eats all the time, shes showing a lot of the digetive symptoms and we're terrified for her.
I'll pray for your little guy and I hope it all goes well for him and you're whole family.

rubiesmom