Swimming in a saline/saltwater pool

websterhome

Hello,
Our daughter is now 19 months and loves the outdoors. She had our first big scare a few months ago with a positive pseudomonas culture, thankfully it responded well to a month of TOBI and we had a clean follow up culture. Of course we are always concerned about potential risks that could lead to her picking up bacteria. With that said, a relative of ours has a pool and we have all been discussing the possibility of converting it to a saline pool. I have not yet run this by our CF doctors, but would welcome imput from all of you on here. Is a saline pool more or less risky with bacteria? Is a saline pool actually very therapeutic? Thank you!
Blessings to everyone!

websterhome

Hello,
Our daughter is now 19 months and loves the outdoors. She had our first big scare a few months ago with a positive pseudomonas culture, thankfully it responded well to a month of TOBI and we had a clean follow up culture. Of course we are always concerned about potential risks that could lead to her picking up bacteria. With that said, a relative of ours has a pool and we have all been discussing the possibility of converting it to a saline pool. I have not yet run this by our CF doctors, but would welcome imput from all of you on here. Is a saline pool more or less risky with bacteria? Is a saline pool actually very therapeutic? Thank you!
Blessings to everyone!

websterhome

Hello,
Blessings to everyone!

websterhome

Hello,
Blessings to everyone!

websterhome

Hello,
<br />Our daughter is now 19 months and loves the outdoors. She had our first big scare a few months ago with a positive pseudomonas culture, thankfully it responded well to a month of TOBI and we had a clean follow up culture. Of course we are always concerned about potential risks that could lead to her picking up bacteria. With that said, a relative of ours has a pool and we have all been discussing the possibility of converting it to a saline pool. I have not yet run this by our CF doctors, but would welcome imput from all of you on here. Is a saline pool more or less risky with bacteria? Is a saline pool actually very therapeutic? Thank you!
<br />Blessings to everyone!

JORDYSMOM

Christy, where do you live? I ask because that really does have a bearing on whether or not I'd want a saline or chlorine pool. Weather/climate play into it.

I work for a pool service company, and we are in Oklahoma. I can tell you that salt generators take salt, and convert them to chlorine, so you will still be swimming in chlorine, but it's a softer version of it. The biggest problem we see is that a lot of times the salt generators cannot produce chlorine fast enough to keep up with algea growth. Especially during really rainy seasons. Also, salt generators do not function when the temperatures drop below 45 degrees or so. We have to supplement chlorine in our salt pools on a regular basis here.

I think that with CF we have to be concerned about bacteria, and if the salt gen. isn't working properly, it does start growing quickly. Personally, I'd rather have a chlorine pool, because you add the chlorine, and it's immediately circulating. With the salt, there is a chance the cell will get clogged with calcium build up, and not function properly. Either way, I'd just test the water with a test strip that you can buy at any pool supply store, before letting your child swim. Make sure the ph is in balance, and everything should be fine.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Christy, where do you live? I ask because that really does have a bearing on whether or not I'd want a saline or chlorine pool. Weather/climate play into it.

I work for a pool service company, and we are in Oklahoma. I can tell you that salt generators take salt, and convert them to chlorine, so you will still be swimming in chlorine, but it's a softer version of it. The biggest problem we see is that a lot of times the salt generators cannot produce chlorine fast enough to keep up with algea growth. Especially during really rainy seasons. Also, salt generators do not function when the temperatures drop below 45 degrees or so. We have to supplement chlorine in our salt pools on a regular basis here.

I think that with CF we have to be concerned about bacteria, and if the salt gen. isn't working properly, it does start growing quickly. Personally, I'd rather have a chlorine pool, because you add the chlorine, and it's immediately circulating. With the salt, there is a chance the cell will get clogged with calcium build up, and not function properly. Either way, I'd just test the water with a test strip that you can buy at any pool supply store, before letting your child swim. Make sure the ph is in balance, and everything should be fine.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />I work for a pool service company, and we are in Oklahoma. I can tell you that salt generators take salt, and convert them to chlorine, so you will still be swimming in chlorine, but it's a softer version of it. The biggest problem we see is that a lot of times the salt generators cannot produce chlorine fast enough to keep up with algea growth. Especially during really rainy seasons. Also, salt generators do not function when the temperatures drop below 45 degrees or so. We have to supplement chlorine in our salt pools on a regular basis here.
<br />
<br />I think that with CF we have to be concerned about bacteria, and if the salt gen. isn't working properly, it does start growing quickly. Personally, I'd rather have a chlorine pool, because you add the chlorine, and it's immediately circulating. With the salt, there is a chance the cell will get clogged with calcium build up, and not function properly. Either way, I'd just test the water with a test strip that you can buy at any pool supply store, before letting your child swim. Make sure the ph is in balance, and everything should be fine.
<br />
<br />Stacey