switching over from Childrens hospital to adult hospital =(

Angel2393

In my past I have had 2 sinus surgories- nasal polyp removals. Since I was 18 and under I have had them performed at Childrens Hospital in Philly and the surgeon was amazing! was in no pain or had any difficulties. I now need the surgory again, and now since I am over 18, they are reccommeding me to the adult hospital across the street, - hospital of PEN. I am very nervous that something will go wrong !!! since it would be a new surgeon -(

Angel2393

In my past I have had 2 sinus surgories- nasal polyp removals. Since I was 18 and under I have had them performed at Childrens Hospital in Philly and the surgeon was amazing! was in no pain or had any difficulties. I now need the surgory again, and now since I am over 18, they are reccommeding me to the adult hospital across the street, - hospital of PEN. I am very nervous that something will go wrong !!! since it would be a new surgeon -(

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
How old are you now? If your transition to adult care is fairly recent, I would think you could work with your team and push for the same surgeon, explaining that the transition to adult care is hard enough on CFers, that you really need this to be down by the surgeon with whom you have built the trust. Yes, you'll have to eventually trust a new surgeon, but I can understand your apprehension and think since it was a "recommendation," that you might be able to push harder to stay with your former surgeon and make the transition easier for you. Not sure this is of any help. Good luck.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
How old are you now? If your transition to adult care is fairly recent, I would think you could work with your team and push for the same surgeon, explaining that the transition to adult care is hard enough on CFers, that you really need this to be down by the surgeon with whom you have built the trust. Yes, you'll have to eventually trust a new surgeon, but I can understand your apprehension and think since it was a "recommendation," that you might be able to push harder to stay with your former surgeon and make the transition easier for you. Not sure this is of any help. Good luck.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I think given your youth, you could really make a good argument that the transition is very hard and that while you work on adapting to the transition to adult care you want the same surgeon to do this surgery. You said they 'recommended' you go to adult hospital, so i would just be very frank that you know you need to transition to adult care and are working hard to do so but it is clearly a difficult process (and there is lots of research to back that up), so for this surgery you need the surgeon you trust to do it. And ask what do you need to do to make that possible. Maybe there is a social worker that you can enlist, etc. Basically, I'd insist (kindly/positively, with good reasons), and worst case they'll outrightly refuse--I doubt it but it can't hurt. Good luck!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I think given your youth, you could really make a good argument that the transition is very hard and that while you work on adapting to the transition to adult care you want the same surgeon to do this surgery. You said they 'recommended' you go to adult hospital, so i would just be very frank that you know you need to transition to adult care and are working hard to do so but it is clearly a difficult process (and there is lots of research to back that up), so for this surgery you need the surgeon you trust to do it. And ask what do you need to do to make that possible. Maybe there is a social worker that you can enlist, etc. Basically, I'd insist (kindly/positively, with good reasons), and worst case they'll outrightly refuse--I doubt it but it can't hurt. Good luck!