Syncope?

jenhum

I have had several episodes in the last 5 years where I'm coughing hard and all of the sudden my legs go numb, I get tunnel vision for about an hour, and I am dizzy, nauseous and have a bad headache.

The day after Thanksgiving, I was coughing, and I felt my legs go numb, but then that's the last thing I remember. I passed out and fell backwards out of my chair. My mom came downstairs about a minute later and found me, and she said I was rigid and struggling to breathe. Right after she came down, my nose started gushing blood (although I fell backwards and did not hit my nose) and I was still unconscious and choking on it. They rolled me to my side and I came to a couple of minutes later, but it was very scary. It really freaks me out to think of what might have happened if I had been alone.

I'm in the hospital now for IV's, and they are trying to figure out why I fainted (most likely low blood pressure that got way too low when I coughed). But I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what your doctors told you. It makes me very afraid to cough, since I am alone with my daughter the majority of the time.

jenhum

I have had several episodes in the last 5 years where I'm coughing hard and all of the sudden my legs go numb, I get tunnel vision for about an hour, and I am dizzy, nauseous and have a bad headache.

The day after Thanksgiving, I was coughing, and I felt my legs go numb, but then that's the last thing I remember. I passed out and fell backwards out of my chair. My mom came downstairs about a minute later and found me, and she said I was rigid and struggling to breathe. Right after she came down, my nose started gushing blood (although I fell backwards and did not hit my nose) and I was still unconscious and choking on it. They rolled me to my side and I came to a couple of minutes later, but it was very scary. It really freaks me out to think of what might have happened if I had been alone.

I'm in the hospital now for IV's, and they are trying to figure out why I fainted (most likely low blood pressure that got way too low when I coughed). But I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what your doctors told you. It makes me very afraid to cough, since I am alone with my daughter the majority of the time.

jenhum

<br />
<br />The day after Thanksgiving, I was coughing, and I felt my legs go numb, but then that's the last thing I remember. I passed out and fell backwards out of my chair. My mom came downstairs about a minute later and found me, and she said I was rigid and struggling to breathe. Right after she came down, my nose started gushing blood (although I fell backwards and did not hit my nose) and I was still unconscious and choking on it. They rolled me to my side and I came to a couple of minutes later, but it was very scary. It really freaks me out to think of what might have happened if I had been alone.
<br />
<br />I'm in the hospital now for IV's, and they are trying to figure out why I fainted (most likely low blood pressure that got way too low when I coughed). But I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what your doctors told you. It makes me very afraid to cough, since I am alone with my daughter the majority of the time.

LouLou

How frightening! Have they talked about ways you could increase your blood pressure...staying well hydrated and eating red meat I believe are two things I have been told to do for this problem. How's your iron level? Red meat will help this too.

LouLou

How frightening! Have they talked about ways you could increase your blood pressure...staying well hydrated and eating red meat I believe are two things I have been told to do for this problem. How's your iron level? Red meat will help this too.

LouLou

jenhum

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LouLou</b></i>

How frightening! Have they talked about ways you could increase your blood pressure...staying well hydrated and eating red meat I believe are two things I have been told to do for this problem. How's your iron level? Red meat will help this too.</end quote></div>

Thanks LouLou. My iron actually was a tiny bit low when I checked in, so I've started iron pills. I do eat a decent amount of red meat, but I am not so good at staying well hydrated, so I am definitely going to change that. A friend of mine with low blood pressure is on salt tablets, so I think I'm going to ask about that as well (even though I already salt the crap out of everything b/c of cf!).

jenhum

How frightening! Have they talked about ways you could increase your blood pressure...staying well hydrated and eating red meat I believe are two things I have been told to do for this problem. How's your iron level? Red meat will help this too.</end quote>

Thanks LouLou. My iron actually was a tiny bit low when I checked in, so I've started iron pills. I do eat a decent amount of red meat, but I am not so good at staying well hydrated, so I am definitely going to change that. A friend of mine with low blood pressure is on salt tablets, so I think I'm going to ask about that as well (even though I already salt the crap out of everything b/c of cf!).

jenhum

<br />
<br />How frightening! Have they talked about ways you could increase your blood pressure...staying well hydrated and eating red meat I believe are two things I have been told to do for this problem. How's your iron level? Red meat will help this too.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Thanks LouLou. My iron actually was a tiny bit low when I checked in, so I've started iron pills. I do eat a decent amount of red meat, but I am not so good at staying well hydrated, so I am definitely going to change that. A friend of mine with low blood pressure is on salt tablets, so I think I'm going to ask about that as well (even though I already salt the crap out of everything b/c of cf!).

rubyroselee

Hey Jen,

How scary! Well, when I am coughing hard, I definitely feel strange sometimes. I even think I've experienced the leg numbness thing too. But there are times when I cough so hard that I give myself a horrible headache. It happened the other day and I think I saw stars.

Could it have been your blood sugar? Do you ever have problems with that? Hopefully they can figure it out and I surely hope it doesn't happen again!

rubyroselee

Hey Jen,

How scary! Well, when I am coughing hard, I definitely feel strange sometimes. I even think I've experienced the leg numbness thing too. But there are times when I cough so hard that I give myself a horrible headache. It happened the other day and I think I saw stars.

Could it have been your blood sugar? Do you ever have problems with that? Hopefully they can figure it out and I surely hope it doesn't happen again!

rubyroselee

Hey Jen,
<br />
<br />How scary! Well, when I am coughing hard, I definitely feel strange sometimes. I even think I've experienced the leg numbness thing too. But there are times when I cough so hard that I give myself a horrible headache. It happened the other day and I think I saw stars.
<br />
<br />Could it have been your blood sugar? Do you ever have problems with that? Hopefully they can figure it out and I surely hope it doesn't happen again!

just1more

Check out <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.stars.org.uk/">http://www.stars.org.uk/</a> chances are you might find something that will give you a direction.

2 of my kids have what is call RAS (reflex anoxic syncope); what happens is something triggers your vegus nerve and you pass out. There is then often a recovery phase that sounds just like what you describe. Both of mine are triggered by hitting the back of their head (like falling out of a chair); my oldest dau was dx'd by a neurologist years ago or we would have no idea.

It is possible your coughing is triggering an episode as from that point it sounds eerily similar, down to the 'seizure-like symptoms' and the period afterward.

just1more

Check out <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.stars.org.uk/">http://www.stars.org.uk/</a> chances are you might find something that will give you a direction.

2 of my kids have what is call RAS (reflex anoxic syncope); what happens is something triggers your vegus nerve and you pass out. There is then often a recovery phase that sounds just like what you describe. Both of mine are triggered by hitting the back of their head (like falling out of a chair); my oldest dau was dx'd by a neurologist years ago or we would have no idea.

It is possible your coughing is triggering an episode as from that point it sounds eerily similar, down to the 'seizure-like symptoms' and the period afterward.

just1more

<br />
<br />2 of my kids have what is call RAS (reflex anoxic syncope); what happens is something triggers your vegus nerve and you pass out. There is then often a recovery phase that sounds just like what you describe. Both of mine are triggered by hitting the back of their head (like falling out of a chair); my oldest dau was dx'd by a neurologist years ago or we would have no idea.
<br />
<br />It is possible your coughing is triggering an episode as from that point it sounds eerily similar, down to the 'seizure-like symptoms' and the period afterward.

scanboyd

This has happened to me, the almsot passing out(black out for a second or two) and seizure like activity on side of body after hard coughing. But went away as fast as it came on. This has happed before when I do pfts and blow out hard and long.

scanboyd

This has happened to me, the almsot passing out(black out for a second or two) and seizure like activity on side of body after hard coughing. But went away as fast as it came on. This has happed before when I do pfts and blow out hard and long.

scanboyd

jenhum

Thanks everyone. They have run all kinds of tests on me and of course everything is coming back normal (which is good I guess, just doesn't help me figure out how to prevent this in the future).

just1more- thank you for that link, that is very interesting. I'm going to look into that a bit more. It just seemed like a little more than a normal fainting episode, so I want to make sure I look into every possibility.

jenhum

Thanks everyone. They have run all kinds of tests on me and of course everything is coming back normal (which is good I guess, just doesn't help me figure out how to prevent this in the future).

just1more- thank you for that link, that is very interesting. I'm going to look into that a bit more. It just seemed like a little more than a normal fainting episode, so I want to make sure I look into every possibility.