Tattoos

T

tarheel

Well- their worry is infection. A portacath can get infected too. So can a bug bite, a scratch...
I would say the risk is about on par with a port getting infected. (If you have/had one you probably have an idea, but the official figure according to my surgeon is about 3/1000) That being said- my port got infected.

T

tarheel

Well- their worry is infection. A portacath can get infected too. So can a bug bite, a scratch...
I would say the risk is about on par with a port getting infected. (If you have/had one you probably have an idea, but the official figure according to my surgeon is about 3/1000) That being said- my port got infected.

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

<br />I would say the risk is about on par with a port getting infected. (If you have/had one you probably have an idea, but the official figure according to my surgeon is about 3/1000) That being said- my port got infected.

cutiepatootie

I know how you all feel about tattoos after transplant, I want another one too, I already have 3, all before transplant. My Dr.'s say no too, I do know some people who have had them since Tx. They were fine, if you decide to get one they don't clean the needs they put new ones on every time. So if you get one just tell them you want to see them sterilize there equipment in front of you, ask to see them taking the needs out of the packages in front of you and pour the ink too. They should automatically do that for you anyway they did form me every time I got one. I was picky about it too! I didn't want any infections.
I hope this help.

Karla

cutiepatootie

I know how you all feel about tattoos after transplant, I want another one too, I already have 3, all before transplant. My Dr.'s say no too, I do know some people who have had them since Tx. They were fine, if you decide to get one they don't clean the needs they put new ones on every time. So if you get one just tell them you want to see them sterilize there equipment in front of you, ask to see them taking the needs out of the packages in front of you and pour the ink too. They should automatically do that for you anyway they did form me every time I got one. I was picky about it too! I didn't want any infections.
I hope this help.

Karla

cutiepatootie

I hope this help.

Karla

cutiepatootie

I hope this help.

Karla

cutiepatootie

I hope this help.

Karla

jakc

I had a transplant about a year ago and I'm thinking about getting a tattoo on my wrist. The one major problem I can see is that this may interfere with future IVs and blood draws. I'm going to ask my doctor and I'm sure he'll say no, but I may just do it anyways. Do you all think this is a bad idea?

jakc

I had a transplant about a year ago and I'm thinking about getting a tattoo on my wrist. The one major problem I can see is that this may interfere with future IVs and blood draws. I'm going to ask my doctor and I'm sure he'll say no, but I may just do it anyways. Do you all think this is a bad idea?

jakc

jakc

jakc

dewgirl

Amber - Even though they don't recommend getting tattoos, does the fact that you're past that first year post transplant make your doctor feel any better about your decision to get one? I don't know exactly why but my husband couldn't donate blood because our last tattoos were less than a year old. After a year it would be alright to do so again. Is there any correlation?

Like Karla suggested, definitely watch them take their needles out of packages in front of you. Ask for new ink. You can also ask to watch them autoclave equipment (sterilizing but can be timely depending on their equipment) but just dipping equipment in sterile solutions is not enough imo. Maybe even ask if they were planning on ordering new equipment anytime in the near future? If so, will they hold it to use first with you?

I think if your not to embarrassed to tell the tattoo shop why and what you need you'll be able to lessen your risks.

Jakc - They feel for veins as well as look so it shouldn't hamper IV's too much. Spongy feel means vein is there. In my experience blood draws aren't done in the wrist but the elbow bend area. Blood gas measures would be the only wrist draw. They use a stethoscope to find your artery and it's a rare test anyway so should not be an issue.

dewgirl

Amber - Even though they don't recommend getting tattoos, does the fact that you're past that first year post transplant make your doctor feel any better about your decision to get one? I don't know exactly why but my husband couldn't donate blood because our last tattoos were less than a year old. After a year it would be alright to do so again. Is there any correlation?

Like Karla suggested, definitely watch them take their needles out of packages in front of you. Ask for new ink. You can also ask to watch them autoclave equipment (sterilizing but can be timely depending on their equipment) but just dipping equipment in sterile solutions is not enough imo. Maybe even ask if they were planning on ordering new equipment anytime in the near future? If so, will they hold it to use first with you?

I think if your not to embarrassed to tell the tattoo shop why and what you need you'll be able to lessen your risks.

Jakc - They feel for veins as well as look so it shouldn't hamper IV's too much. Spongy feel means vein is there. In my experience blood draws aren't done in the wrist but the elbow bend area. Blood gas measures would be the only wrist draw. They use a stethoscope to find your artery and it's a rare test anyway so should not be an issue.

dewgirl

dewgirl

dewgirl

<br />
<br />Like Karla suggested, definitely watch them take their needles out of packages in front of you. Ask for new ink. You can also ask to watch them autoclave equipment (sterilizing but can be timely depending on their equipment) but just dipping equipment in sterile solutions is not enough imo. Maybe even ask if they were planning on ordering new equipment anytime in the near future? If so, will they hold it to use first with you?
<br />
<br />I think if your not to embarrassed to tell the tattoo shop why and what you need you'll be able to lessen your risks.
<br />
<br />Jakc - They feel for veins as well as look so it shouldn't hamper IV's too much. Spongy feel means vein is there. In my experience blood draws aren't done in the wrist but the elbow bend area. Blood gas measures would be the only wrist draw. They use a stethoscope to find your artery and it's a rare test anyway so should not be an issue.