Technion scientists develop material to treat genetic diseases

BlueTurtle

Mar. 25 - Technion scientists have developed a new material with the potential to treat "hundreds of genetic diseases," reported the Jerusalem Post. Created by Professor Timor Bazov of the chemistry faculty and Dr. Tamar Ben-Yosef of the Rappaport School of Medicine, they took a chemical modification of the antibiotic gentamycin, which can correct a defective gene in cystic fibrosis patients, that is much safer. The results were reported in the journal Bioorganic and Medical Chemistry Letters. "The new material has the potential to help cure hundreds of genetic diseases," Bazov claimed, "and perhaps even certain types of cancer."

BlueTurtle

Mar. 25 - Technion scientists have developed a new material with the potential to treat "hundreds of genetic diseases," reported the Jerusalem Post. Created by Professor Timor Bazov of the chemistry faculty and Dr. Tamar Ben-Yosef of the Rappaport School of Medicine, they took a chemical modification of the antibiotic gentamycin, which can correct a defective gene in cystic fibrosis patients, that is much safer. The results were reported in the journal Bioorganic and Medical Chemistry Letters. "The new material has the potential to help cure hundreds of genetic diseases," Bazov claimed, "and perhaps even certain types of cancer."

BlueTurtle

NoExcuses

If I had a dollar for every time I heard one of those stories over the past 10 years.....

Maybe one day..... who knows....

NoExcuses

If I had a dollar for every time I heard one of those stories over the past 10 years.....

NoExcuses

AnD

This one has been around for a while though, something about people with a certain gene defect having a positive reaction to gentamycin? Anybody remember that?

AnD

This one has been around for a while though, something about people with a certain gene defect having a positive reaction to gentamycin? Anybody remember that?

AnD

dasjsmum

Isnt this the PC124 (whatever it is) gene thingo? I seem to remember that they had done experiemnts using gentamycin.

dasjsmum

Isnt this the PC124 (whatever it is) gene thingo? I seem to remember that they had done experiemnts using gentamycin.

dasjsmum