Teenager with positive sweat test? What next?

H2OSPORTSMOM

Hello Friends,
I just wanted to give an up date. The CF center we went to did a CF 70. It is just that it only checked for 70 of the most common genes. We have not met with the CF Center to discuss results but we requested results from lab before we do meet back with them. The reslts are a bit confusing it reads - Negative for the mutations analysed. The Interpretation reads - This symptomatic patient is negative for common SF mutations. This result does not exclude a diagnosis of CF. It is possible that this patient has one if not two mutations not detected by this test. This test detects variable rates of mutations depending on patients ethnic background and so on. That was the most of it. I don't understand why test for only 70 of possible 1500 genes? How do you get physicians to help you rule this out and get on with your life. We do talk back with the CF Center Doctor on August 9, Test was done on May 15, another discouraging aspect. No one ever calls you back patients must feel like they are hopunding the docs to just call them back. I know we are blessed that Reid's lungs are so clear. His sinus not so good. He is still sweating salt bullets, but all in all doing good. I just want to be proactive if this is still a possibility. Why do docs not want to order the broader tests first is it insurance? We have great coverage there, I think. What would some of you do that have been down this path before. I need some leverage advice so when I go back to the Center next month. Thanks for your advice and encouragment so far!! Thanks for this site on the Web!!

H2OSPORTSMOM

Hello Friends,
I just wanted to give an up date. The CF center we went to did a CF 70. It is just that it only checked for 70 of the most common genes. We have not met with the CF Center to discuss results but we requested results from lab before we do meet back with them. The reslts are a bit confusing it reads - Negative for the mutations analysed. The Interpretation reads - This symptomatic patient is negative for common SF mutations. This result does not exclude a diagnosis of CF. It is possible that this patient has one if not two mutations not detected by this test. This test detects variable rates of mutations depending on patients ethnic background and so on. That was the most of it. I don't understand why test for only 70 of possible 1500 genes? How do you get physicians to help you rule this out and get on with your life. We do talk back with the CF Center Doctor on August 9, Test was done on May 15, another discouraging aspect. No one ever calls you back patients must feel like they are hopunding the docs to just call them back. I know we are blessed that Reid's lungs are so clear. His sinus not so good. He is still sweating salt bullets, but all in all doing good. I just want to be proactive if this is still a possibility. Why do docs not want to order the broader tests first is it insurance? We have great coverage there, I think. What would some of you do that have been down this path before. I need some leverage advice so when I go back to the Center next month. Thanks for your advice and encouragment so far!! Thanks for this site on the Web!!

Alyssa

Yes, it is a matter of money -- it is far cheaper to only test for the 70 mutations, and as you have just experienced it is usually pointless and leaves you with the possibility of over 1430 more genes that they never even looked for !

Keep insisting on full genetic testing - you can post your questions here to the Ambry guy too, he is quite helpful.

The bottom line is your son has a positive sweat test number along with some CF symptoms -- he needs complete genetic testing and he needs to be followed and treated as if he has CF so he can benefit from pro-active treatments and/or the correct care when something is wrong. If full genetic testing still does not confirm CF, then ask about the Nasal Potential Difference testing to confirm CF -- it isn't available everywhere, so find out how far away it is and if it is possible to get there. Also make sure you are working with an accredited CF Clinic -- I see you said you are going there in August -- are they the ones that ordered the test for 70 genes? or are you being sent there now after the testing?

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Alyssa

Yes, it is a matter of money -- it is far cheaper to only test for the 70 mutations, and as you have just experienced it is usually pointless and leaves you with the possibility of over 1430 more genes that they never even looked for !

Keep insisting on full genetic testing - you can post your questions here to the Ambry guy too, he is quite helpful.

The bottom line is your son has a positive sweat test number along with some CF symptoms -- he needs complete genetic testing and he needs to be followed and treated as if he has CF so he can benefit from pro-active treatments and/or the correct care when something is wrong. If full genetic testing still does not confirm CF, then ask about the Nasal Potential Difference testing to confirm CF -- it isn't available everywhere, so find out how far away it is and if it is possible to get there. Also make sure you are working with an accredited CF Clinic -- I see you said you are going there in August -- are they the ones that ordered the test for 70 genes? or are you being sent there now after the testing?

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

H2OSPORTSMOM

We are going to an accredited CF Center. They are the ones that ordered the genetic testing. I will be insisting on further testing because I am also very interested in being pro-active with my childrens health. I will keep you posted after our August appointment. Thanks for your advice.

H2OSPORTSMOM

We are going to an accredited CF Center. They are the ones that ordered the genetic testing. I will be insisting on further testing because I am also very interested in being pro-active with my childrens health. I will keep you posted after our August appointment. Thanks for your advice.

H2OSPORTSMOM

H2OSPORTSMOM

H2OSPORTSMOM

H2OSPORTSMOM