Teeth Issues

kunkels

I am taking my 5 year old who has CF to the dentist today. He was diagnosed with CF at 3 months old and I have a daughter, Serenity, who is 21 months old with CF. I know all about CF but what I don't know, are the effects it has on our kiddos teeth. He has little black spots on the back of his front teeth that I have been told may be iron deposits. I'm just concerned because his CF Doc had said that some meds could affect his teeth. Does anyone know what meds these are? He is on Ultrase enzymes, ADEK vitamin, pulomzyme, xopenex, prevacid. I was also told diet could affect the teeth of course. I just want to know if anyone has experienced teeth problems while having CF. Thank you.

kunkels

I am taking my 5 year old who has CF to the dentist today. He was diagnosed with CF at 3 months old and I have a daughter, Serenity, who is 21 months old with CF. I know all about CF but what I don't know, are the effects it has on our kiddos teeth. He has little black spots on the back of his front teeth that I have been told may be iron deposits. I'm just concerned because his CF Doc had said that some meds could affect his teeth. Does anyone know what meds these are? He is on Ultrase enzymes, ADEK vitamin, pulomzyme, xopenex, prevacid. I was also told diet could affect the teeth of course. I just want to know if anyone has experienced teeth problems while having CF. Thank you.

kunkels

kunkels

kunkels

JazzysMom

Between some antibiotics (tetracycaline turned my teeth gray as a kid), the acid in our systems, the thickened saliva that doesnt allow our systems to "cleanse" our mouth like it should. We also have vitamin deficiencies which are needed for strong bones & teeth. In addition is all the nebs that will cause a build up so its extra important that we brush & use floride.

Its a wonder at times that I have any teeth left LOL!

Granted everyone is different, but this is the general idea regarding CF. I also believe that other genetics influences healthy or bad dental issues. My family on both sides have awful dental issues & I am the only one with CF.

Hope this helps a bit!!

JazzysMom

Between some antibiotics (tetracycaline turned my teeth gray as a kid), the acid in our systems, the thickened saliva that doesnt allow our systems to "cleanse" our mouth like it should. We also have vitamin deficiencies which are needed for strong bones & teeth. In addition is all the nebs that will cause a build up so its extra important that we brush & use floride.

Granted everyone is different, but this is the general idea regarding CF. I also believe that other genetics influences healthy or bad dental issues. My family on both sides have awful dental issues & I am the only one with CF.

Hope this helps a bit!!

JazzysMom

Hope this helps a bit!!

JazzysMom

Hope this helps a bit!!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Its a wonder at times that I have any teeth left LOL!
<br />
<br />Granted everyone is different, but this is the general idea regarding CF. I also believe that other genetics influences healthy or bad dental issues. My family on both sides have awful dental issues & I am the only one with CF.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps a bit!!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS first got teeth, I noticed he has brownish spots on his teeth, mainly inside lower ones and I was terrified his teeth were rotting. I took him to the dentist and the hygenist indicated they were VERY stained. They thought it could be from nebulized meds, abx, but my thought was from the ADEKS. His teeth are fine. They pretty much got rid of it with several cleanings. He's 5 as well.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When DS first got teeth, I noticed he has brownish spots on his teeth, mainly inside lower ones and I was terrified his teeth were rotting. I took him to the dentist and the hygenist indicated they were VERY stained. They thought it could be from nebulized meds, abx, but my thought was from the ADEKS. His teeth are fine. They pretty much got rid of it with several cleanings. He's 5 as well.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

janddburke

Jess has had problems with her teeth too. I was told it was a side effect from medication but no one will tell me which ones.
she is 13 now and one lower tooth in the back needed to be capped.
we called it her 'popcorn' tooth because it looked like a piece of popcorn, sort of white and yellowish and mottled.
turns out the enamel was weakened and it could have cracked at any time.
that tooth was the worst one but her teeth have never been terribly white.

janddburke

Jess has had problems with her teeth too. I was told it was a side effect from medication but no one will tell me which ones.
we called it her 'popcorn' tooth because it looked like a piece of popcorn, sort of white and yellowish and mottled.

janddburke

janddburke

janddburke

<br />she is 13 now and one lower tooth in the back needed to be capped.
<br />we called it her 'popcorn' tooth because it looked like a piece of popcorn, sort of white and yellowish and mottled.
<br />turns out the enamel was weakened and it could have cracked at any time.
<br />that tooth was the worst one but her teeth have never been terribly white.