tests on babies with cf

Buckeye

CT is a catscan.And when I Googled BAL test I found a site that said "A BAL is a broncho-alveolar lavage, which just means that they introduce some sterile saline into the airway then recollect it for examination".My son had a CT for his sinuses, but not the lavage. I would be concerned about water being left in the lungs??? Maybe some of the older CFers have had this done though.

Buckeye

CT is a catscan.And when I Googled BAL test I found a site that said "A BAL is a broncho-alveolar lavage, which just means that they introduce some sterile saline into the airway then recollect it for examination".My son had a CT for his sinuses, but not the lavage. I would be concerned about water being left in the lungs??? Maybe some of the older CFers have had this done though.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

CT is a catscan.<p>And when I Googled BAL test I found a site that said "A BAL is a broncho-alveolar lavage, which just means that they introduce some sterile saline into the airway then recollect it for examination".<p>My son had a CT for his sinuses, but not the lavage. I would be concerned about water being left in the lungs??? Maybe some of the older CFers have had this done though.

viori2001

I decided to go for it as they(the doctors) said it is a normal procedure now for all babies.
she did the broncho-alvear lavage and ct scan. I thought we'd better do it now cos otherwise I would ahve regret it and be worried up until she is 12 months(when they usually have the tests).
I was stressed for weeks b4 that. but everything seemed fine. she didnt have any fever or anything after. and whats more important the results came back perfect. she doesnt have any bacteria at the moment and lungs seem good. so at least I know she is alright so far.
it is very hard thinking of all these stuff a baby has to go through.
thank u all.

viori2001

I decided to go for it as they(the doctors) said it is a normal procedure now for all babies.
she did the broncho-alvear lavage and ct scan. I thought we'd better do it now cos otherwise I would ahve regret it and be worried up until she is 12 months(when they usually have the tests).
I was stressed for weeks b4 that. but everything seemed fine. she didnt have any fever or anything after. and whats more important the results came back perfect. she doesnt have any bacteria at the moment and lungs seem good. so at least I know she is alright so far.
thank u all.

viori2001

thank u all.

viori2001

thank u all.

viori2001

<br />she did the broncho-alvear lavage and ct scan. I thought we'd better do it now cos otherwise I would ahve regret it and be worried up until she is 12 months(when they usually have the tests).
<br />I was stressed for weeks b4 that. but everything seemed fine. she didnt have any fever or anything after. and whats more important the results came back perfect. she doesnt have any bacteria at the moment and lungs seem good. so at least I know she is alright so far.
<br />it is very hard thinking of all these stuff a baby has to go through.
<br />thank u all.

E

Ellasmommy

Yearly ct scans will enable you to start treating lung damage before it's even causing distress. However radiation on babies is highly controversal. Infant PFTs have no adverse side effects and will tell you ifthere is any lung damage. Newer technology omits the least amount of radiation. We did our second infant PFT and comparing the two she is showing damage.

E

Ellasmommy

Yearly ct scans will enable you to start treating lung damage before it's even causing distress. However radiation on babies is highly controversal. Infant PFTs have no adverse side effects and will tell you ifthere is any lung damage. Newer technology omits the least amount of radiation. We did our second infant PFT and comparing the two she is showing damage.

E

Ellasmommy

E

Ellasmommy

E

Ellasmommy