The Cost of Saline

mattmcegg

When I first got HS a year, the pharmacist mixed it himself, and it came in a giant syringe. I don't think I even used my insurance and paid cash since it was cheap.

Now, I see PARI has gotten on the HS bandwangon and has packaged it. Easy for the pharmacist, $$$ for PARI, but crappy for us. I went to go pick it up and its now a $30 copay? Am i really paying $30 for salt water? Does anyone know somewhere (maybe online) I can order this for a fair price? I miss the giant syringes.

I love HS b/c its natural and cheap, but now I feel like I'm padding the drug companies pockets once again.

-Matt

mattmcegg

When I first got HS a year, the pharmacist mixed it himself, and it came in a giant syringe. I don't think I even used my insurance and paid cash since it was cheap.

Now, I see PARI has gotten on the HS bandwangon and has packaged it. Easy for the pharmacist, $$$ for PARI, but crappy for us. I went to go pick it up and its now a $30 copay? Am i really paying $30 for salt water? Does anyone know somewhere (maybe online) I can order this for a fair price? I miss the giant syringes.

I love HS b/c its natural and cheap, but now I feel like I'm padding the drug companies pockets once again.

-Matt

mattmcegg

-Matt

mattmcegg

-Matt

mattmcegg

<br />
<br />Now, I see PARI has gotten on the HS bandwangon and has packaged it. Easy for the pharmacist, $$$ for PARI, but crappy for us. I went to go pick it up and its now a $30 copay? Am i really paying $30 for salt water? Does anyone know somewhere (maybe online) I can order this for a fair price? I miss the giant syringes.
<br />
<br />I love HS b/c its natural and cheap, but now I feel like I'm padding the drug companies pockets once again.
<br />
<br />-Matt

Nervous1

I recently started on HTS and the pharmacy has to prepare it. (I don't live in the US.)

A month's worth costs me approximately $250, of which my insurance covers half. They claim that the salt water is so expensive because they have to prepare it in completely sterile conditions.

Finally I found a pharmacist who is willing to take a 1 liter bag of 0.9 IV solution and increase the concentration to what I need. He dissolves the salt in a sterile solution using sterile instruments and then adds it to the IV bag. Officially this is not considered 100% sterile, so I buy a new 1 liter bag of this from him every week. A lot of salt water gets thrown away every week, but it's A LOT cheaper - only $70/month. $35 vs. $175 out of my pocket is a big difference!

Nervous1

I recently started on HTS and the pharmacy has to prepare it. (I don't live in the US.)

A month's worth costs me approximately $250, of which my insurance covers half. They claim that the salt water is so expensive because they have to prepare it in completely sterile conditions.

Finally I found a pharmacist who is willing to take a 1 liter bag of 0.9 IV solution and increase the concentration to what I need. He dissolves the salt in a sterile solution using sterile instruments and then adds it to the IV bag. Officially this is not considered 100% sterile, so I buy a new 1 liter bag of this from him every week. A lot of salt water gets thrown away every week, but it's A LOT cheaper - only $70/month. $35 vs. $175 out of my pocket is a big difference!

Nervous1

Nervous1

Nervous1

<br />
<br />A month's worth costs me approximately $250, of which my insurance covers half. They claim that the salt water is so expensive because they have to prepare it in completely sterile conditions.
<br />
<br />Finally I found a pharmacist who is willing to take a 1 liter bag of 0.9 IV solution and increase the concentration to what I need. He dissolves the salt in a sterile solution using sterile instruments and then adds it to the IV bag. Officially this is not considered 100% sterile, so I buy a new 1 liter bag of this from him every week. A lot of salt water gets thrown away every week, but it's A LOT cheaper - only $70/month. $35 vs. $175 out of my pocket is a big difference!

Melissa75

Administrator
I buy little 15 ml vials of 3% and 10% and mix them myself (half and half makes 7%). I toss the extra. Though lately, I just use the 10% alone. The manufacturer is DEY and I used to get it from CVS--took some manager-chats, now I have to use xpress-scripts.

I pay $12.30 for 135 vials. So almost a 70 day supply if I am using 10% only; and a month's supply if I am using two vials to mix twice a day.

Sounds like a deal huh?

Melissa75

Administrator
I buy little 15 ml vials of 3% and 10% and mix them myself (half and half makes 7%). I toss the extra. Though lately, I just use the 10% alone. The manufacturer is DEY and I used to get it from CVS--took some manager-chats, now I have to use xpress-scripts.

I pay $12.30 for 135 vials. So almost a 70 day supply if I am using 10% only; and a month's supply if I am using two vials to mix twice a day.

Sounds like a deal huh?

Melissa75

Administrator

Sounds like a deal huh?

Melissa75

Administrator

Sounds like a deal huh?

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />I pay $12.30 for 135 vials. So almost a 70 day supply if I am using 10% only; and a month's supply if I am using two vials to mix twice a day.
<br />
<br />Sounds like a deal huh?
<br />___________
<br />Melissa, 33 yrs, bronchiectasis (no cf)