The Enzymes Pancrease MT 20 im having problems...

littlepinkstar

My doctors have recently put me on these new enzymes. I have taken them when I was a toddler, and a infant. I used to take Ultrase MT 20 before these. But I Have been getting the CF stomache aches and I have had to go to the bathroom alot more with these pills. I do not think they are working right. I was recently at my cousins house and I was taking these pills, and getting stomache aches. Well she had some of my Ultrase MT 20's at her house and i took them instead. I didnt have stomache aches after this. I have talked to my grandma about this (Gaurdian of me ever since i was 9months old) and she said that it is the same ingrediants. I really am doubting this. Does anyone have this problem with these pills? Have they experianced it? What to do, please help okay thanks! Because i really am worried that i wont gain the weight i need and I am already underweight. 80 lbs. My grandma has called in new perscriptions though for Ultrase now, but i would still like to know! Thanks :)x0x,Alyssa Marie15/f/wcf

anonymous

Hi Alyssa, my daughter uses Pancrease MT 20's and she has no problems with them. She has always used Pancrease but started out with the 8's when she was younger. If the Ultrase was working for you, why is your doctor changing brands? I think everyone's bodies are different and some things work better for some people.

Liza

Alyssa, I have been told that some enzyme brands seem to work differently for some than others. For example, my girls (14 &17 yrs) take Pancrease MT16. While we were stationed in Germany they had to switch to another brand, that I can't remember right now, because we couldn't get the Pancrese MT16 over there. I'm thinking it was Ultrase but can't be sure. Anyway, the only way we could get it was through mail order which kind of got messed up sometimes and we didn't get the medicine or they would try and say it was too soon. I'd argue with them because they'd change the amount and what are they supposed to do? Not eat? Anyway, Rachel did fine with the new enzyme but Anna complained that it wasn't working right because she was always getting a stomach ache. Her doctor then told her that sometimes it happens and would try to find another one for her but we decided to do the mail order thing again and I was just sneaky about it and didn't cancel my other daughters prescription so when I re-ordered I just refilled for both of them eventhough it was just for the one. We always had enough that way. So it's possible that it could be the enyzme or maybe you are just not taking enough of them. Tell your CF doc. Don't wait for an appt. call them up and do a phone consult. They might however want to do a fatty stool sample. I don't know how you feel about those but my 17 yr old is a pain in the you know what when it comes to any of her bodily fluids, always has been, well not before about the age of 10. Was there a particular reason for changing? Hope you feel better. Liza

anonymous

The CF Doctors at the Phoenix Childrens Hospital have claimed that patients taking the (generic) Pancrease MT20's have had serious health problems. So, they instead prescribe the Ultrase MT20's manufactured by Solvay Pharmaceuticals. Apparently, patients have improved dramatically when they made the change.

EmilysMom

Years ago, at one point, they changed Emily from Ultrase to Creon (same dosage) but she had some major problems until we went back to the Ultrase. Sometimes the change in brand names can make a huge difference!

anonymous

Yes they work different. I was told that the Ultrase is way stronger than the pancrease. Even the MT 20s are different, Ultrase is stronger and is a bit different. Yes they use the basic same ingridients but they are different. Yes brand names are all different and work different and have things in them for them to work different. But never ever let them give you generic, they are bad. They may work for some people but not all. The Cf foundation even has a article on not to take generic. Anyway sorry to ramble but yes they are different. I would ask for them to put you back on the Ultrase, call them up and tell them the pancrease isn't working. They may just say increase the pancrease, you may want to try that, but if it doesn't work keep asking to change you back to what works. If they changed you before because you were having some problems with Ultrase you may have jsut needed a small increase in them, otherwise why did they change it?AB