the pancreas

jdubbs

Hi,

I have been doing some research and seem to have discovered that those with pancreatic insufficiency are at relatively high risk of pancreatic cancer later in life (35+, which I am approaching). Some numbers are below. I also included the link to the article I read. I'm making the assumption that pancreatic insufficiency implies Chronic Pancreatitis - (I'm not sure if this is true).

So, questions:

Is there any type of screening I could do?

If I develop CFRD (which seems likely given how crappy my pancreas works otherwise) should I have my pancreas removed to eliminate the risk of cancer?

When people get transplants do they ever get a new pancreas at the same time?

Has anyone ever discussed this issue with their doctor?

I guess I'm jsut curious if anyone else worries about this.

Thanks.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/2/G315
">http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cg...ntent/full/287/2/G315
</a>
CP = chronic pancreatitis

"The cumulative risk of pancreatic cancer from symptom onset for the 233 patients with complete information and whose symptoms occurred before cancer was 1.5% [95% confidence interval (CI): 0%, 3.6%] at 20 yr after symptom onset, 2.5% (95% CI: 0%, 5.3%) at 30 yr, 8.5% (95% CI: 1.4%, 15.7%) at 40 yr, 14.6% (95% CI: 1.3%, 28.0%) at 50 yr, 25.3% (95% CI: 2.5%, 48.1%) at 60 yr, and 44.0% (95% CI: 8.0%, 80.0%) at 70 yr from symptom onset with a standardized incidence ratio of 67% (50%, 82%) (10)."

"The association between long-standing CP and cancer has now been clearly established. Pancreatic cancer develops in the setting of CP from all known etiologies but appears to require 30 - 40 yr of inflammation before an appreciable percentage of CP patients develop pancreatic cancer. "

jdubbs

Hi,

I have been doing some research and seem to have discovered that those with pancreatic insufficiency are at relatively high risk of pancreatic cancer later in life (35+, which I am approaching). Some numbers are below. I also included the link to the article I read. I'm making the assumption that pancreatic insufficiency implies Chronic Pancreatitis - (I'm not sure if this is true).

So, questions:

If I develop CFRD (which seems likely given how crappy my pancreas works otherwise) should I have my pancreas removed to eliminate the risk of cancer?

Thanks.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/2/G315
</a>

"The cumulative risk of pancreatic cancer from symptom onset for the 233 patients with complete information and whose symptoms occurred before cancer was 1.5% [95% confidence interval (CI): 0%, 3.6%] at 20 yr after symptom onset, 2.5% (95% CI: 0%, 5.3%) at 30 yr, 8.5% (95% CI: 1.4%, 15.7%) at 40 yr, 14.6% (95% CI: 1.3%, 28.0%) at 50 yr, 25.3% (95% CI: 2.5%, 48.1%) at 60 yr, and 44.0% (95% CI: 8.0%, 80.0%) at 70 yr from symptom onset with a standardized incidence ratio of 67% (50%, 82%) (10)."

"The association between long-standing CP and cancer has now been clearly established. Pancreatic cancer develops in the setting of CP from all known etiologies but appears to require 30 - 40 yr of inflammation before an appreciable percentage of CP patients develop pancreatic cancer. "

jdubbs

Hi,

So, questions:

Thanks.

</a>

jdubbs

Hi,

So, questions:

Thanks.

</a>

jdubbs

Hi,
<br />
<br />I have been doing some research and seem to have discovered that those with pancreatic insufficiency are at relatively high risk of pancreatic cancer later in life (35+, which I am approaching). Some numbers are below. I also included the link to the article I read. I'm making the assumption that pancreatic insufficiency implies Chronic Pancreatitis - (I'm not sure if this is true).
<br />
<br />So, questions:
<br />
<br />Is there any type of screening I could do?
<br />
<br />If I develop CFRD (which seems likely given how crappy my pancreas works otherwise) should I have my pancreas removed to eliminate the risk of cancer?
<br />
<br />When people get transplants do they ever get a new pancreas at the same time?
<br />
<br />Has anyone ever discussed this issue with their doctor?
<br />
<br />I guess I'm jsut curious if anyone else worries about this.
<br />
<br />Thanks.
<br />
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/2/G315
</a><br />
<br />CP = chronic pancreatitis
<br />
<br />"The cumulative risk of pancreatic cancer from symptom onset for the 233 patients with complete information and whose symptoms occurred before cancer was 1.5% [95% confidence interval (CI): 0%, 3.6%] at 20 yr after symptom onset, 2.5% (95% CI: 0%, 5.3%) at 30 yr, 8.5% (95% CI: 1.4%, 15.7%) at 40 yr, 14.6% (95% CI: 1.3%, 28.0%) at 50 yr, 25.3% (95% CI: 2.5%, 48.1%) at 60 yr, and 44.0% (95% CI: 8.0%, 80.0%) at 70 yr from symptom onset with a standardized incidence ratio of 67% (50%, 82%) (10)."
<br />
<br />"The association between long-standing CP and cancer has now been clearly established. Pancreatic cancer develops in the setting of CP from all known etiologies but appears to require 30 - 40 yr of inflammation before an appreciable percentage of CP patients develop pancreatic cancer. "

Sakem

Chronic Pancreatitis is not pancreatic insufficent. It is inflamation in the pancrease. In CF the problem with the pancrease is that the enzymes produced by the pancrease can not usually be released to do their job, because mucus is blocking the ducts.

I would not recommend getting your pancrease out. U need it to live.

I would put to much time into worrying if u r going to get cancer, most cancers are out of our control or not fully understood why it strikes, except for the obvious reason in smokers.

Sakem

Chronic Pancreatitis is not pancreatic insufficent. It is inflamation in the pancrease. In CF the problem with the pancrease is that the enzymes produced by the pancrease can not usually be released to do their job, because mucus is blocking the ducts.

I would put to much time into worrying if u r going to get cancer, most cancers are out of our control or not fully understood why it strikes, except for the obvious reason in smokers.

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

<br />
<br />I would not recommend getting your pancrease out. U need it to live.
<br />
<br />I would put to much time into worrying if u r going to get cancer, most cancers are out of our control or not fully understood why it strikes, except for the obvious reason in smokers.

JazzysMom

I agree that worrying about cancer is kind of a mute point.

As to transplant.....usually pancrease transplants dont take place in someone with lung issues & often its done with kidneys since their functions are intertwined....

JazzysMom

As to transplant.....usually pancrease transplants dont take place in someone with lung issues & often its done with kidneys since their functions are intertwined....

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />As to transplant.....usually pancrease transplants dont take place in someone with lung issues & often its done with kidneys since their functions are intertwined....
<br />
<br />