Their daycare is driving me nuts

Mommy2Alysa

I understand that daycares have policies and protocols to follow such as: if a child is coughing then it may mean they have a cold and should be sent to see a doctor in case they are contagious.... well my girls cough a lot and sometimes to the point where they sound like they are choking. DH and I are used to as we know it is just part of CF and we have tried time and time again to the tell the daycare that is normal and they are NOT contagious and stuff.

Yesterday was the icing on the cake. Last week I had Kiana at the doctors with quick breathing and green mucus and I was worried she got the bug Alysa was just getting over (they both have CF) and an xray showed that there was some blotchyness and gave us antibiotics and told us she is fine, just to keep the team posted if she gets worse. She was fine to go to daycare and blah blah blah.

So yesterday I drop them off and tell them about the xray cause they asked and emphasized that SHE IS FINE TO BE HERE and went to work. I am barely in the door when my phone is ringing and it is daycare calling to say "Kiana is having trouble swollowing, she is coughing a lot and I thought she was choking and now her lips are blue" Blue? Blue you say? That's new so off I go worried what I would find when I arrived.

I found Kiana in the hallway being held by one of the workers crying. I grab her and check her over, no blue, no cough and I go home to keep an eye on her after being told that "since she is on antibiotics and coughing and stuff we would like you to keep her home until Wednesday" okay fine... great.. two days off work and two days of daycare bills lovely... but my baby girl is more important and I contemplated taking her into the hospital but thought I would wait as she seemed okay.

I gave her a bottle (so much for having trouble swollowing) and laid her down for a nap. She slept for 4 hours! Nice day off for me lol because DH was sleeping as well (he works nights). Kiana was fine, she is fine and there was nothing wrong with her and I am starting to wonder if her lips actually were in fact blue or if they made that up, ya know? This isnt the first time I have had to go get her and missing work for pretty much no reason. They just dont get it!

My question and so sorry this is long is how do you handle your kiddos daycare? Did you ask someone from their team to come in and tell them "ths is normal and this is when you should be concerned" and stuff or did you bring in a reading material for them to check out. I understand CF is new to them and I am sure it is scary.. I still get scared with them sometimes and I see it everyday!

I just cant keep missing work (Kiana is home with Daddy today)

Thanks for the help.

Mommy2Alysa

I understand that daycares have policies and protocols to follow such as: if a child is coughing then it may mean they have a cold and should be sent to see a doctor in case they are contagious.... well my girls cough a lot and sometimes to the point where they sound like they are choking. DH and I are used to as we know it is just part of CF and we have tried time and time again to the tell the daycare that is normal and they are NOT contagious and stuff.

Yesterday was the icing on the cake. Last week I had Kiana at the doctors with quick breathing and green mucus and I was worried she got the bug Alysa was just getting over (they both have CF) and an xray showed that there was some blotchyness and gave us antibiotics and told us she is fine, just to keep the team posted if she gets worse. She was fine to go to daycare and blah blah blah.

So yesterday I drop them off and tell them about the xray cause they asked and emphasized that SHE IS FINE TO BE HERE and went to work. I am barely in the door when my phone is ringing and it is daycare calling to say "Kiana is having trouble swollowing, she is coughing a lot and I thought she was choking and now her lips are blue" Blue? Blue you say? That's new so off I go worried what I would find when I arrived.

I found Kiana in the hallway being held by one of the workers crying. I grab her and check her over, no blue, no cough and I go home to keep an eye on her after being told that "since she is on antibiotics and coughing and stuff we would like you to keep her home until Wednesday" okay fine... great.. two days off work and two days of daycare bills lovely... but my baby girl is more important and I contemplated taking her into the hospital but thought I would wait as she seemed okay.

I gave her a bottle (so much for having trouble swollowing) and laid her down for a nap. She slept for 4 hours! Nice day off for me lol because DH was sleeping as well (he works nights). Kiana was fine, she is fine and there was nothing wrong with her and I am starting to wonder if her lips actually were in fact blue or if they made that up, ya know? This isnt the first time I have had to go get her and missing work for pretty much no reason. They just dont get it!

My question and so sorry this is long is how do you handle your kiddos daycare? Did you ask someone from their team to come in and tell them "ths is normal and this is when you should be concerned" and stuff or did you bring in a reading material for them to check out. I understand CF is new to them and I am sure it is scary.. I still get scared with them sometimes and I see it everyday!

Thanks for the help.

Mommy2Alysa

Thanks for the help.

Mommy2Alysa

Thanks for the help.

Mommy2Alysa

<br />
<br />Yesterday was the icing on the cake. Last week I had Kiana at the doctors with quick breathing and green mucus and I was worried she got the bug Alysa was just getting over (they both have CF) and an xray showed that there was some blotchyness and gave us antibiotics and told us she is fine, just to keep the team posted if she gets worse. She was fine to go to daycare and blah blah blah.
<br />
<br />So yesterday I drop them off and tell them about the xray cause they asked and emphasized that SHE IS FINE TO BE HERE and went to work. I am barely in the door when my phone is ringing and it is daycare calling to say "Kiana is having trouble swollowing, she is coughing a lot and I thought she was choking and now her lips are blue" Blue? Blue you say? That's new so off I go worried what I would find when I arrived.
<br />
<br />I found Kiana in the hallway being held by one of the workers crying. I grab her and check her over, no blue, no cough and I go home to keep an eye on her after being told that "since she is on antibiotics and coughing and stuff we would like you to keep her home until Wednesday" okay fine... great.. two days off work and two days of daycare bills lovely... but my baby girl is more important and I contemplated taking her into the hospital but thought I would wait as she seemed okay.
<br />
<br />I gave her a bottle (so much for having trouble swollowing) and laid her down for a nap. She slept for 4 hours! Nice day off for me lol because DH was sleeping as well (he works nights). Kiana was fine, she is fine and there was nothing wrong with her and I am starting to wonder if her lips actually were in fact blue or if they made that up, ya know? This isnt the first time I have had to go get her and missing work for pretty much no reason. They just dont get it!
<br />
<br />My question and so sorry this is long is how do you handle your kiddos daycare? Did you ask someone from their team to come in and tell them "ths is normal and this is when you should be concerned" and stuff or did you bring in a reading material for them to check out. I understand CF is new to them and I am sure it is scary.. I still get scared with them sometimes and I see it everyday!
<br />
<br />I just cant keep missing work (Kiana is home with Daddy today)
<br />
<br />Thanks for the help.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been in daycare since he was 3 months old. It's rare that he coughs. When we first started, I explained to the director and his primary caregiver about enzymes, provided information on CF from the CFF site, indicated I'd be available to answer any questions, was willing to talk with any new caregivers, that he's a normal kid.

Our concerns were primarily having to do with his getting enough to eat, making sure he got his enzymes, if he was pooping or had loose stools... We also wanted to know if any bugs were going around, but they contact everyone if a child gets sick.

I have had to go get him because of a rash, red eyes, loose stools, but always because it was because another child had chicken pox, pink eye or rotavirus. With the latter, I suspect they called all the parents of babies and had them pick them up, so they could sanitize everything. The older kids were able to play outside, but all 5-6 of the babies went home that day.

We DID have some issues with a couple teachers. One person complained that DS threw up tons of green mucus all over her and she had to go home and change --- which was a flat out lie. DS rarely coughed, and if he did it wasn't productive. She was pretty lazy and I imagine didn't all that "extra care" DS required -- enzymes with a bottle and a few extra diaper changes. I was relieved when she was let go after a couple weeks, because she'd greet me each afteroon with a whole litany of things that were apparently WRONG with DS, which freaked me out. I suspect she did the same thing to the other parents in the baby room and probably just hated her job.

IMO, if you haven't already done so, provide some of the literature the CF Foundation. Also, our local CF clinic has a form that we provide to the preschool, which they can fill out should they have any concerns and if they'd like someone from the CF team to speak with them. The director and the teachers have never had any issues.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been in daycare since he was 3 months old. It's rare that he coughs. When we first started, I explained to the director and his primary caregiver about enzymes, provided information on CF from the CFF site, indicated I'd be available to answer any questions, was willing to talk with any new caregivers, that he's a normal kid.

Our concerns were primarily having to do with his getting enough to eat, making sure he got his enzymes, if he was pooping or had loose stools... We also wanted to know if any bugs were going around, but they contact everyone if a child gets sick.

I have had to go get him because of a rash, red eyes, loose stools, but always because it was because another child had chicken pox, pink eye or rotavirus. With the latter, I suspect they called all the parents of babies and had them pick them up, so they could sanitize everything. The older kids were able to play outside, but all 5-6 of the babies went home that day.

We DID have some issues with a couple teachers. One person complained that DS threw up tons of green mucus all over her and she had to go home and change --- which was a flat out lie. DS rarely coughed, and if he did it wasn't productive. She was pretty lazy and I imagine didn't all that "extra care" DS required -- enzymes with a bottle and a few extra diaper changes. I was relieved when she was let go after a couple weeks, because she'd greet me each afteroon with a whole litany of things that were apparently WRONG with DS, which freaked me out. I suspect she did the same thing to the other parents in the baby room and probably just hated her job.

IMO, if you haven't already done so, provide some of the literature the CF Foundation. Also, our local CF clinic has a form that we provide to the preschool, which they can fill out should they have any concerns and if they'd like someone from the CF team to speak with them. The director and the teachers have never had any issues.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Our concerns were primarily having to do with his getting enough to eat, making sure he got his enzymes, if he was pooping or had loose stools... We also wanted to know if any bugs were going around, but they contact everyone if a child gets sick.
<br />
<br />I have had to go get him because of a rash, red eyes, loose stools, but always because it was because another child had chicken pox, pink eye or rotavirus. With the latter, I suspect they called all the parents of babies and had them pick them up, so they could sanitize everything. The older kids were able to play outside, but all 5-6 of the babies went home that day.
<br />
<br />We DID have some issues with a couple teachers. One person complained that DS threw up tons of green mucus all over her and she had to go home and change --- which was a flat out lie. DS rarely coughed, and if he did it wasn't productive. She was pretty lazy and I imagine didn't all that "extra care" DS required -- enzymes with a bottle and a few extra diaper changes. I was relieved when she was let go after a couple weeks, because she'd greet me each afteroon with a whole litany of things that were apparently WRONG with DS, which freaked me out. I suspect she did the same thing to the other parents in the baby room and probably just hated her job.
<br />
<br />IMO, if you haven't already done so, provide some of the literature the CF Foundation. Also, our local CF clinic has a form that we provide to the preschool, which they can fill out should they have any concerns and if they'd like someone from the CF team to speak with them. The director and the teachers have never had any issues.

Mommy2Alysa

The daycare is amazing at giving us a progress report in Kiana's room (baby room they do it for all the babies) they write down when her enzymes were given, what her poops were and what she ate. In the enzyme department they seem to get it but it's the other stuff that bothers me.

I am waiting to hear from their team to see if they have any suggestions.

Mommy2Alysa

The daycare is amazing at giving us a progress report in Kiana's room (baby room they do it for all the babies) they write down when her enzymes were given, what her poops were and what she ate. In the enzyme department they seem to get it but it's the other stuff that bothers me.

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

<br />
<br />I am waiting to hear from their team to see if they have any suggestions.

angelsmom

I have a 4-year old who went to an in-home daycare from 3 months of age until just last week when we moved her to a center for a pre-k class. I am finding already, just in the 5 days she has gone, that the level of care and individual attention we were used to is probably not going to happen here. My daughter awoke with a runny nose and some coughing today, so I will be interested to see what, if anything, they say to me at pick up today.

I did not provide them with any literature re: CF, but am thinking that maybe I will and see if it helps give them a better understanding.

To respond more directly to your post, I think if I were in your situation, I would talk to the director about what things would necessitate a phone call to you at work and what things would require you to pick up your daughters. I can understand they were probably concerned about the "blue lips" they apparently saw, so maybe in this one instance, they were just trying to cover themselves and avoid any further issues. It is a tough call for them to make sometimes, I am sure, so you'll have to find a way to work together, I think. If someone from your clinic is willing to talk to them, I would probably pursue that as well.

good luck

Sandra
Mom to Sara, 4 wcf

angelsmom

I have a 4-year old who went to an in-home daycare from 3 months of age until just last week when we moved her to a center for a pre-k class. I am finding already, just in the 5 days she has gone, that the level of care and individual attention we were used to is probably not going to happen here. My daughter awoke with a runny nose and some coughing today, so I will be interested to see what, if anything, they say to me at pick up today.

I did not provide them with any literature re: CF, but am thinking that maybe I will and see if it helps give them a better understanding.

To respond more directly to your post, I think if I were in your situation, I would talk to the director about what things would necessitate a phone call to you at work and what things would require you to pick up your daughters. I can understand they were probably concerned about the "blue lips" they apparently saw, so maybe in this one instance, they were just trying to cover themselves and avoid any further issues. It is a tough call for them to make sometimes, I am sure, so you'll have to find a way to work together, I think. If someone from your clinic is willing to talk to them, I would probably pursue that as well.

good luck

Sandra
Mom to Sara, 4 wcf

angelsmom

good luck

Sandra
Mom to Sara, 4 wcf

angelsmom

good luck

Sandra
Mom to Sara, 4 wcf

angelsmom

<br />
<br />I did not provide them with any literature re: CF, but am thinking that maybe I will and see if it helps give them a better understanding.
<br />
<br />To respond more directly to your post, I think if I were in your situation, I would talk to the director about what things would necessitate a phone call to you at work and what things would require you to pick up your daughters. I can understand they were probably concerned about the "blue lips" they apparently saw, so maybe in this one instance, they were just trying to cover themselves and avoid any further issues. It is a tough call for them to make sometimes, I am sure, so you'll have to find a way to work together, I think. If someone from your clinic is willing to talk to them, I would probably pursue that as well.
<br />
<br />good luck
<br />
<br />Sandra
<br />Mom to Sara, 4 wcf