Therapy animals

JazzysMom

In both our local hospital & the Hospital I go to for my CF, they have therapy dogs through the volunteer department. I was wondering if anyone has heard or been involved in a therapy animal program for CF patients. I am not sure how well it would work because of the concern of allergies, germs etc. I just know being an animal lover that when I am in the hospital for a long time, these therapy dogs bring a smile to me since I cant play & love my own at the time.

anonymous

My husband hasn't ever been involved in a "therapy dog" program, but we have two dogs at home and they are good therapy for him. They are so adorable (I'm a little biased because they are mine too), always doing something funny, when he doesn't want to get out of bed-he has to for them, and when I am gone long days at work or deployed-they are his company. I think it's a great thing and aside from the ocassional CFer who has some serious animal allergies, it would be a wonderful thing to implement. Of course, little children would need to be reminded to wash their hands and such, but most CFers are use to that sort of thing anyways.

Julie (wife to Mark 24 w/CF) 2 dogs- rottie purebread and rottie/german spitz mix; 2 cats-1 purebread minx and one white blue-eyed ADHD cat who loves life! Our house is a royal zoo.

JazzysMom

First we have a 5 year old, black lab mix names Ladybug. We also have a mixed cat who is 3 named Buttons. We had a few other cats in the past, but unforunately we found out the hard way when we moved to our home that this is a very bad street for cats. Buttons is strictly an indoor cat becaue we would like him to stick around awhile. We just had 2 additions to our home this weekend. 2 birds which I thought were finches, but turns out they are a form of a parrot. They are named Sky & Bush. Sky is blue & Bush is green/yellow. The birds came into play because my daughter cared for an injured, wild bird last week that ended up dying. She did so well with it that my husband decided to reward her with her own. We use to have fish. They all died all of a sudden. The oldest one named Jack we got when my daughter wasnt even born yet & she just turned 7. My daughter would love a zoo if she could have it. I would also if it wasnt so much work. My brother/sister in law have a horse farm so we have lots of animals around.