Thinning Hair

valshingle

My daughter is 19 and in good nutritional status (5'5" and 140 lbs). She does a steriod burst about 4 times a year. Since she turned 17, her hair has really thinned and her acne has really gotten worse. The docs have checked her thyroid and vitamin levels and everything comes back normal. They've started her on 50mg of zinc for her hair - just to try something. She is on Avair 500/50. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any ideas? We can keep the acne down, but the hair loss is really hard for her. I would say she has lost about 50% of her hair (uniformally, no big patches).

valshingle

My daughter is 19 and in good nutritional status (5'5" and 140 lbs). She does a steriod burst about 4 times a year. Since she turned 17, her hair has really thinned and her acne has really gotten worse. The docs have checked her thyroid and vitamin levels and everything comes back normal. They've started her on 50mg of zinc for her hair - just to try something. She is on Avair 500/50. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any ideas? We can keep the acne down, but the hair loss is really hard for her. I would say she has lost about 50% of her hair (uniformally, no big patches).

valshingle

mag6125

I'm having the same problems! I saw a dermatologist a while back about the acne which for me was almost like a rash and they gave me a gel called Atralin which really seems to help. They thought it was probably from the steroids. As for the hair loss I have no ideas, I plan on asking my doc about it at my next appt though.

mag6125

I'm having the same problems! I saw a dermatologist a while back about the acne which for me was almost like a rash and they gave me a gel called Atralin which really seems to help. They thought it was probably from the steroids. As for the hair loss I have no ideas, I plan on asking my doc about it at my next appt though.

mag6125

katiemann89

im 21 and my hair is thin and falls out idk why i think im not getting enough vitamins but other cfers have told me to take prenatal vitamins it really helps hair and nail growth

katiemann89

im 21 and my hair is thin and falls out idk why i think im not getting enough vitamins but other cfers have told me to take prenatal vitamins it really helps hair and nail growth

katiemann89

valshingle

I don't think they have tested her testosterone level, but I will request that at her next visit.

The dermatologist was about to start her on Accutane, her acne was that bad and CF docs cleared her. We were waiting on paperwork, etc, when someone had us try Mary Kay products. NO LIE - they worked!! And she had used Differin Gel, antibiotics, Evaclear (sp?)all this other Rx stuff, and the Mary Kay stuff has been like a miracle.

Her vitamin levels and thyroid levels have all been normal.

But, good idea on the testosterone levels, that's an easy thing to check.

valshingle

I don't think they have tested her testosterone level, but I will request that at her next visit.

The dermatologist was about to start her on Accutane, her acne was that bad and CF docs cleared her. We were waiting on paperwork, etc, when someone had us try Mary Kay products. NO LIE - they worked!! And she had used Differin Gel, antibiotics, Evaclear (sp?)all this other Rx stuff, and the Mary Kay stuff has been like a miracle.

Her vitamin levels and thyroid levels have all been normal.

But, good idea on the testosterone levels, that's an easy thing to check.

valshingle

<br />
<br />The dermatologist was about to start her on Accutane, her acne was that bad and CF docs cleared her. We were waiting on paperwork, etc, when someone had us try Mary Kay products. NO LIE - they worked!! And she had used Differin Gel, antibiotics, Evaclear (sp?)all this other Rx stuff, and the Mary Kay stuff has been like a miracle.
<br />
<br />Her vitamin levels and thyroid levels have all been normal.
<br />
<br />But, good idea on the testosterone levels, that's an easy thing to check.

T

tarheel

Hate to say it-
I'm a bubble burster a lot of times. But it really sounds like the prednisone. It affects everyone differently (I get awful moonface and gain weight like you wouldn't believe) but hair loss is another common side effect (as is acne) and pretty much nothing short of stopping it helps.

T

tarheel

Hate to say it-
I'm a bubble burster a lot of times. But it really sounds like the prednisone. It affects everyone differently (I get awful moonface and gain weight like you wouldn't believe) but hair loss is another common side effect (as is acne) and pretty much nothing short of stopping it helps.

T

tarheel

Hate to say it-
<br />I'm a bubble burster a lot of times. But it really sounds like the prednisone. It affects everyone differently (I get awful moonface and gain weight like you wouldn't believe) but hair loss is another common side effect (as is acne) and pretty much nothing short of stopping it helps.