This is for those exercisers

cdale613

Glad to hear you're exercising!!!

My recommendation to you would be this: set some specific short and longer term goals for yourself to keep your self motivated. They don't have to be large... increasing your walk by a few minutes each week, running two laps instead of one, etc. might be good examples of short term goals. A longer term goal might be running a mile, finishing a 5k, on up. Obviously they don't have to be running specific, these are just examples. Tailor them to what you think is reasonable, but don't be afraid to push yourself. Of course, you can start of small and keep increasing your goals as you attain them.

Keep up the good work!

Chris

26 m w.cf

djotroy17

I noticed I was beginning to get a cough and was running out of gas in hockey games so I decided to do something about it, and I have ran 1.5 miles every day for a week now, and I plan to keep it up for the rest of my life, hopefully I can keep with it. I have tryed lifting before, but I really hate it...but my upper body could use some extra strength. My question for you guys is I have 1 hockey game every week, should I run the day before a hockey game? and should I run the day of my hockey game?

To answer your question about what helps lung function, I find that running is the best thing you can do, i never noticed lifting helping my lungs. Also when I run, I hate running on a track...I would give up way to soon and way to easily running on a track. When I run I go running around a neighborhood or something, and I run as far as I think I can run...and when I make it that far I look for the thing thats farthest away and force myself to keep running to it...when I get to it, then I have to run all the way back to where I started running, I also sprint the last 100 yards or so too.

djotroy17

I noticed I was beginning to get a cough and was running out of gas in hockey games so I decided to do something about it, and I have ran 1.5 miles every day for a week now, and I plan to keep it up for the rest of my life, hopefully I can keep with it. I have tryed lifting before, but I really hate it...but my upper body could use some extra strength. My question for you guys is I have 1 hockey game every week, should I run the day before a hockey game? and should I run the day of my hockey game?

To answer your question about what helps lung function, I find that running is the best thing you can do, i never noticed lifting helping my lungs. Also when I run, I hate running on a track...I would give up way to soon and way to easily running on a track. When I run I go running around a neighborhood or something, and I run as far as I think I can run...and when I make it that far I look for the thing thats farthest away and force myself to keep running to it...when I get to it, then I have to run all the way back to where I started running, I also sprint the last 100 yards or so too.

djotroy17

Chaggie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>djotroy17</b></i>

I noticed I was beginning to get a cough and was running out of gas in hockey games so I decided to do something about it, and I have ran 1.5 miles every day for a week now, and I plan to keep it up for the rest of my life, hopefully I can keep with it. I have tryed lifting before, but I really hate it...but my upper body could use some extra strength. My question for you guys is I have 1 hockey game every week, should I run the day before a hockey game? and should I run the day of my hockey game?</end quote></div>

I play hockey once a week too, I also lift weights 3 times and run 4. I usually take the day before a game off so I'm fresh, and never do anything else the day of.

Chaggie

I noticed I was beginning to get a cough and was running out of gas in hockey games so I decided to do something about it, and I have ran 1.5 miles every day for a week now, and I plan to keep it up for the rest of my life, hopefully I can keep with it. I have tryed lifting before, but I really hate it...but my upper body could use some extra strength. My question for you guys is I have 1 hockey game every week, should I run the day before a hockey game? and should I run the day of my hockey game?</end quote></div>

I play hockey once a week too, I also lift weights 3 times and run 4. I usually take the day before a game off so I'm fresh, and never do anything else the day of.

Chaggie

jbrandonAW

Wow thanks. I think I am going to set some goals. I would love to be able to run a mile w/o stopping(9minutes). I would also like to walk/jog two miles in 20 minutes. PFT wise I hope to get it up to 70% and I am not stopping til I do. I like the basketball Idea. I could take a ball up there and shoot with my sister or something. (The boys won't let me play with them lol)

What are ya'lls FEV1's?

jbrandonAW

Wow thanks. I think I am going to set some goals. I would love to be able to run a mile w/o stopping(9minutes). I would also like to walk/jog two miles in 20 minutes. PFT wise I hope to get it up to 70% and I am not stopping til I do. I like the basketball Idea. I could take a ball up there and shoot with my sister or something. (The boys won't let me play with them lol)

What are ya'lls FEV1's?

jbrandonAW

What are ya'lls FEV1's?

ladybug

WOW, I run a mile in about 11 minutes.... not 9... good for the 9 minute mile though! YAY! That's great!

My FEV1 was mid 50's when I wasn't pushing myself at the gym. They're now at a baseline of around 63 after I MAKE myself run as hard and long as I can 3-4 times a week. Its sooooo worth the effort!!!!

ladybug

WOW, I run a mile in about 11 minutes.... not 9... good for the 9 minute mile though! YAY! That's great!

My FEV1 was mid 50's when I wasn't pushing myself at the gym. They're now at a baseline of around 63 after I MAKE myself run as hard and long as I can 3-4 times a week. Its sooooo worth the effort!!!!

ladybug

djotroy17

I havnt timed my mile recently, but I used to run it in 6:40...I imagine right now I run it in about 7:30. My FEV1's...I dont know what they are, I never payed attention to them, but if I had to guess, I would say 90's?

djotroy17

I havnt timed my mile recently, but I used to run it in 6:40...I imagine right now I run it in about 7:30. My FEV1's...I dont know what they are, I never payed attention to them, but if I had to guess, I would say 90's?

djotroy17

BaylorCrew07

I swam competitively for over 10 years and swimming REALLY cleans me out. Running also helps me cough up stuff, but I seemed to really clear out my sinuses (for some reason) when I went swimming a lot. best of luck!