Those who fake having CF :(

E

entropy

@izemmom

If people were to attack this person in the way you suggested, i.e. leaving "don't feed the trolls" on her threads, then you would be doing exactly what you set out NOT to do (feeding a troll). The best way to shut these people down is to totally ignore them. They thrive on attention, good or bad. If they're outed in a public manner, they go out in a loud and offensive manner. I've seen it happen a number of times on various forums. People should be made aware that she is an impostor, and if she's ignored she will eventually give up. If attention is what the person wants and you give it to them, you're playing into their game. My suggestion would be to totally block the person out and ignore them totally.

E

entropy

@izemmom
<br />
<br />If people were to attack this person in the way you suggested, i.e. leaving "don't feed the trolls" on her threads, then you would be doing exactly what you set out NOT to do (feeding a troll). The best way to shut these people down is to totally ignore them. They thrive on attention, good or bad. If they're outed in a public manner, they go out in a loud and offensive manner. I've seen it happen a number of times on various forums. People should be made aware that she is an impostor, and if she's ignored she will eventually give up. If attention is what the person wants and you give it to them, you're playing into their game. My suggestion would be to totally block the person out and ignore them totally.

Alys1987

Unfortunately your cousin is not alone in a long list of people who fake having CF. It's a pretty well known thing (of CF fakers) in the CF world, especially on Facebook.

I highly doubt your dealing with an internet troll. Internet trolls are people who just rile up other people for fun. Faking a disease isn't just for fun. It's almost always for attention and I'm more inclined to believe that your cousin is doing this for the attention and sympathy she's getting from people, and not because she just wants to rile people up, ie a troll.

A lot of the people who have been found to be faking CF on Facebook and other sites have admitted they did so for attention, sympathy, money, you name it. But so so rarely is it because they just wanted to get a reaction out of people while they sit back and laugh (again what an internet troll does).

Have you ever heard of munchausen syndrome? Usually people with Munchausens fake illnesses in other people (often mothers faking their kid having a disease so they get attention because they have a sick child) but lately it's becoming more (and maybe it has a different name when used in this sense) of a thing where people fake the disease themselves and illicit sympathy from others. They'll lie about procedures, how ill they are, needing money for medical stuff, sometimes even performing dangerous medical procedures on themselves and taking pictures to post online to illicit even more sympathy.

I really don't want to sound judgemental of your family member but I think she has some mental issues that probably need to be looked into. I say this because things like this can escalate very quickly. There was a girl on Facebook who was faking CF and she went so far as to perform medical procedures on herself (IV's and trying to insert a feeding tube I believe). If your cousin is like the other CF (or other disease) fakers then it would probably be a good idea for her to get help. Maybe you could let someone know what she's doing? In the case of the girl on Facebook, people let her family members know what she was doing since she was potentially putting her life in danger by performing medical procedures on herself. Her family had no clue any of it was going on and I believe they sought help for her.

I just don't want you thinking this is some girl who is just trolling people when there could be more to the story.

Good luck with whatever you do and whatever happens. I really hope she is just trolling people.

Alys1987

Unfortunately your cousin is not alone in a long list of people who fake having CF. It's a pretty well known thing (of CF fakers) in the CF world, especially on Facebook.

I highly doubt your dealing with an internet troll. Internet trolls are people who just rile up other people for fun. Faking a disease isn't just for fun. It's almost always for attention and I'm more inclined to believe that your cousin is doing this for the attention and sympathy she's getting from people, and not because she just wants to rile people up, ie a troll.

A lot of the people who have been found to be faking CF on Facebook and other sites have admitted they did so for attention, sympathy, money, you name it. But so so rarely is it because they just wanted to get a reaction out of people while they sit back and laugh (again what an internet troll does).

Have you ever heard of munchausen syndrome? Usually people with Munchausens fake illnesses in other people (often mothers faking their kid having a disease so they get attention because they have a sick child) but lately it's becoming more (and maybe it has a different name when used in this sense) of a thing where people fake the disease themselves and illicit sympathy from others. They'll lie about procedures, how ill they are, needing money for medical stuff, sometimes even performing dangerous medical procedures on themselves and taking pictures to post online to illicit even more sympathy.

I really don't want to sound judgemental of your family member but I think she has some mental issues that probably need to be looked into. I say this because things like this can escalate very quickly. There was a girl on Facebook who was faking CF and she went so far as to perform medical procedures on herself (IV's and trying to insert a feeding tube I believe). If your cousin is like the other CF (or other disease) fakers then it would probably be a good idea for her to get help. Maybe you could let someone know what she's doing? In the case of the girl on Facebook, people let her family members know what she was doing since she was potentially putting her life in danger by performing medical procedures on herself. Her family had no clue any of it was going on and I believe they sought help for her.

I just don't want you thinking this is some girl who is just trolling people when there could be more to the story.

Good luck with whatever you do and whatever happens. I really hope she is just trolling people.

Alys1987

<br />
<br />I highly doubt your dealing with an internet troll. Internet trolls are people who just rile up other people for fun. Faking a disease isn't just for fun. It's almost always for attention and I'm more inclined to believe that your cousin is doing this for the attention and sympathy she's getting from people, and not because she just wants to rile people up, ie a troll.
<br />
<br />A lot of the people who have been found to be faking CF on Facebook and other sites have admitted they did so for attention, sympathy, money, you name it. But so so rarely is it because they just wanted to get a reaction out of people while they sit back and laugh (again what an internet troll does).
<br />
<br />Have you ever heard of munchausen syndrome? Usually people with Munchausens fake illnesses in other people (often mothers faking their kid having a disease so they get attention because they have a sick child) but lately it's becoming more (and maybe it has a different name when used in this sense) of a thing where people fake the disease themselves and illicit sympathy from others. They'll lie about procedures, how ill they are, needing money for medical stuff, sometimes even performing dangerous medical procedures on themselves and taking pictures to post online to illicit even more sympathy.
<br />
<br />I really don't want to sound judgemental of your family member but I think she has some mental issues that probably need to be looked into. I say this because things like this can escalate very quickly. There was a girl on Facebook who was faking CF and she went so far as to perform medical procedures on herself (IV's and trying to insert a feeding tube I believe). If your cousin is like the other CF (or other disease) fakers then it would probably be a good idea for her to get help. Maybe you could let someone know what she's doing? In the case of the girl on Facebook, people let her family members know what she was doing since she was potentially putting her life in danger by performing medical procedures on herself. Her family had no clue any of it was going on and I believe they sought help for her.
<br />
<br />I just don't want you thinking this is some girl who is just trolling people when there could be more to the story.
<br />
<br />Good luck with whatever you do and whatever happens. I really hope she is just trolling people.

xin

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TonyaH</b></i>
I have a first cousin who obviously has mental problems. She is all over the internet claiming to have CF, and I know she does not. She finds sympathy from pepole saying she is end-stge, then goes out drinking and smoking afterward.
</end quote></div>

Try not to let it ruin your day. Lots of weird folks out there. Roll your eyes and move on.

(Your description reminds me of some of the early scenes in the film Fight Club, BTW.)

xin

I have a first cousin who obviously has mental problems. She is all over the internet claiming to have CF, and I know she does not. She finds sympathy from pepole saying she is end-stge, then goes out drinking and smoking afterward.
</end quote>

Try not to let it ruin your day. Lots of weird folks out there. Roll your eyes and move on.

(Your description reminds me of some of the early scenes in the film Fight Club, BTW.)

xin

<br />I have a first cousin who obviously has mental problems. She is all over the internet claiming to have CF, and I know she does not. She finds sympathy from pepole saying she is end-stge, then goes out drinking and smoking afterward.
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />Try not to let it ruin your day. Lots of weird folks out there. Roll your eyes and move on.
<br />
<br />(Your description reminds me of some of the early scenes in the film Fight Club, BTW.)