Those with DDF508 Mutation

C

cindylou

The doctor who said that DDf508 CFers will automatically give their child CF is 100% wrong. It's not possible for a child to have CF if BOTH parents do not carry the mutation. Your mutation as a CFer makes absolutely no difference on whether or not you will pass on a gene. Because we who have CF have 2 faulty CFTR genes and no "normal" ones, we can only pass a faulty CFTR gene to our children, which means any children we have will automatically be a carrier (one gene). If our spouse is also a carrier, then there is a 50% chance that they could also pass on their faulty CFTR gene instead of their good one, which would make our child a CFer (two faulty genes).

Lots of people, even doctors, who aren't familiar with CF can spout off some pretty crazy info... so I would definitely not trust it unless it comes from your CF doctor!

petitesouris

Hey, sorry for the extreme delay in response to your question. Life with a baby is very hectic, and doesn't leave me a lot of time to read the forums here!

To answer your question, mmurray, I had CFRD prior to conception. As a result I was really closely monitored by Maternal Fetal Medicine throughout my pregnancy (near the end of pregnancy, I had an appt. almost everyday!). Also they induced me two weeks early so my baby didn't get too large.