throwing up everything from coughing...what to do?

randomgirl

I just got released from the hospital with a few iv antibiotics.  I've been coughing nonstop all day though.  I've thrown up everything that I've eaten and drank.  I haven't even eaten that much because I know I'll probably throw it up.  I have Hydromet Syrup to suppress the cough but I can't just keep taking that.  And I can't afford to lose any more weight.  Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Thank you<br>

randomgirl

I just got released from the hospital with a few iv antibiotics. I've been coughing nonstop all day though. I've thrown up everything that I've eaten and drank. I haven't even eaten that much because I know I'll probably throw it up. I have Hydromet Syrup to suppress the cough but I can't just keep taking that.And I can't afford to lose any more weight. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?Thank you<br>

randomgirl

<p>I just got released from the hospital with a few iv antibiotics. I've been coughing nonstop all day though. I've thrown up everything that I've eaten and drank. I haven't even eaten that much because I know I'll probably throw it up. I have Hydromet Syrup to suppress the cough but I can't just keep taking that.And I can't afford to lose any more weight. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?<p>Thank you<br>

J

jessykt

I don't have any advice as I do the same thing sometimes, and I react like you: I don't eat. I would talk to your doctor. Although we aren't supposed to take suppressants, maybe they have something for the time being to get you through.

Hope you feel better soon!

J

jessykt

I don't have any advice as I do the same thing sometimes, and I react like you: I don't eat. I would talk to your doctor. Although we aren't supposed to take suppressants, maybe they have something for the time being to get you through.

Hope you feel better soon!

J

jessykt

<br />
<br />Hope you feel better soon!

Havoc

I agree with Jess. They usually frown upon cough suppressants, but if you cough until you vomit, I think an exception could be made. Have a chat with your doc and see if they will Rx you a cough suppressant.

Havoc

I agree with Jess. They usually frown upon cough suppressants, but if you cough until you vomit, I think an exception could be made. Have a chat with your doc and see if they will Rx you a cough suppressant.

Havoc

imported_Momto2

I have found that hydrocodone helps a lot with unwanted out of control coughing. Talk to your doc about it, get a a script. It is addictive, so use sparingly. I went through a ten year period of time where I would break ribs every few months from coughing, along with throwing up my food. Its not fun and gets exhausting quickly. The hydro really really helped me. Enabled me to get fits under control and it makes your whole rib cage simply relax and all those tight muscles let go....its amazing relief from a rough cycle. It takes about 30-40 minutes to take affect if you swallow it whole, about 5-10 minutes if you chew it up first (nasty nasty taste though) Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you. Make sure you stay hydrated if you can : ) Massage of the intercostal muscles and back helped me a lot too.

imported_Momto2

I have found that hydrocodone helps a lot with unwanted out of control coughing. Talk to your doc about it, get a a script. It is addictive, so use sparingly. I went through a ten year period of time where I would break ribs every few months from coughing, along with throwing up my food. Its not fun and gets exhausting quickly. The hydro really really helped me. Enabled me to get fits under control and it makes your whole rib cage simply relax and all those tight muscles let go....its amazing relief from a rough cycle. It takes about 30-40 minutes to take affect if you swallow it whole, about 5-10 minutes if you chew it up first (nasty nasty taste though) Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you. Make sure you stay hydrated if you can : ) Massage of the intercostal muscles and back helped me a lot too.

imported_Momto2

Havoc

Yes, any of the narcotics have antitussive properties. There's a hydrocodone suspension as well as the old favorite tylenol with codeine. Codeine has an active metabolite which is morphine, so you kind of get more bang for your buck. While it can be habit forming, I've yet to see a patient jonesing for cough syrup with codeine or hydrocodone. The concentrations are pretty low, to the point you would probably have to drink half the bottle to notice a high.

Havoc

Yes, any of the narcotics have antitussive properties. There's a hydrocodone suspension as well as the old favorite tylenol with codeine. Codeine has an active metabolite which is morphine, so you kind of get more bang for your buck. While it can be habit forming, I've yet to see a patient jonesing for cough syrup with codeine or hydrocodone. The concentrations are pretty low, to the point you would probably have to drink half the bottle to notice a high.

Havoc

MMDanehy417

I use to do this all the time, my doctors recommended huffing and it makes a huge difference. At first it is hard to do but with some practice you can stop it over time.

MMDanehy417

I use to do this all the time, my doctors recommended huffing and it makes a huge difference. At first it is hard to do but with some practice you can stop it over time.