Thursdayday i start Diabetes Education.

carmick

When I got diabetes education my teacher taught me the symptoms of low and high blood sugar and gave me a blood glucose meter starter pack. She taught me how to calibrate the meter and check my blood sugar. I learned what range was acceptable, when I should take note, and when I should call the doctor. I also got booklets and handouts to bring home that pretty much covered the same info I had learned in "class" and a prescription so I could get more supplies for the meter. Because they do it with everyone, I also got ideas for low-sugar foods and recipes, but was told not to change my diet unless my CF doc wanted me to (which they don't so I haven't).

Just a note-I am still considered pre-diabetic. My GTT was high, and my sugars get high-ish when I'm sick, but otherwise I'm normal. If I were diabetic, I would have also been educated about using insulin or pills, depending on what the endocrinologist had recommended.

carmick

When I got diabetes education my teacher taught me the symptoms of low and high blood sugar and gave me a blood glucose meter starter pack. She taught me how to calibrate the meter and check my blood sugar. I learned what range was acceptable, when I should take note, and when I should call the doctor. I also got booklets and handouts to bring home that pretty much covered the same info I had learned in "class" and a prescription so I could get more supplies for the meter. Because they do it with everyone, I also got ideas for low-sugar foods and recipes, but was told not to change my diet unless my CF doc wanted me to (which they don't so I haven't).

Just a note-I am still considered pre-diabetic. My GTT was high, and my sugars get high-ish when I'm sick, but otherwise I'm normal. If I were diabetic, I would have also been educated about using insulin or pills, depending on what the endocrinologist had recommended.

carmick

B

bethylove

I was in the hospital when I received my diabetes education. Basically I was taught how to use my meter, signs of low blood sugar (and how to act accordingly), how to count carbs (for measuring covering insulin only -- not restrictive in any way! Also, the hardest part) and how to administer my insulin.

Good luck!

B

bethylove

I was in the hospital when I received my diabetes education. Basically I was taught how to use my meter, signs of low blood sugar (and how to act accordingly), how to count carbs (for measuring covering insulin only -- not restrictive in any way! Also, the hardest part) and how to administer my insulin.

Good luck!

B

bethylove

Good luck!