Tips/advice about my daughter

Finley56

My daughter (11) was hospitalized last yr for the 1st time, for exacerbation. She dropped 15lbs in about 2 months, which put her at 50 lbs. she had no appetite, would get nauseated when trying to eat, vomiting, low lung function 50%, diagnosed with CFRD, all kinds of stuff. It took her a year to regain her weight & strength. She had to go back in for a tune up this feb. 2 wks in hospital, then another 2 wks on home IV. Since then she has gone up to 79 lbs & her lung function was 104% (highest it's ever been), and no longer needing insulin.

Recently, she's lost about 5 lbs, since her last appt on 7/9. Her appetite has decreased. She said she feels bloated when eating & can't eat much. Her BMs are regular, no vomiting, or anything else like last year. She's still very active.

I've been giving her gas x 2x a day to help with the bloating. She takes a capful of miralax daily. She gets periactin 2x a day to increase appetite, but I don't feel like it's working anymore.

I'm wondering what else I can do for her. Or if she needs a clean-out. Or something else.

Anyone experience these symptoms, and have any advice??

Thanks in advance.

marc0198

I've had some of the problems you listed. If she can drink meals, life may become easier when she isn't hungry. An Instant Breakfast made with half and half is going to have in the neighborhood of 500 calories and can be chugged in 10 seconds. Chai tea concentrate mixed with half and half worked for me too. Options like these can help, and they're not vile like scandi or boost shakes.

Finley56

That's what I was thinking, make her stakes/drinks. So, you use half & half instead of milk?

she does have pediasure, but she's pretty well burnt out on those & couldn't tolerate the scandi shakes.

Thanks for the tips ;)