Tips for blood draw on toddler?

HappyHearts

I've posted my story in Families but DH and I are both carriers. DD has passed two sweat tests but seeing people with this combination pass sweat tests and still have both mutations lead me to trying to get a DNA analysis done on DD.

She is 16 months old and we tried today without success. 2 people tried 2 times in EACH arm and I said that was enough. They could see the vein but it would move on them. I can't even relive the moments when I saw them prodding around. Not a good experience. So . . . any tips for wild toddlers that scream just b/c they are being held and touched by a stranger before the needle comes near them?? I'm considering going to the lab at my local CF center since it's a children's hospital and they see kids all day but it's pretty far drive for us so I wasn't sure if there were any other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

HappyHearts

I've posted my story in Families but DH and I are both carriers. DD has passed two sweat tests but seeing people with this combination pass sweat tests and still have both mutations lead me to trying to get a DNA analysis done on DD.

She is 16 months old and we tried today without success. 2 people tried 2 times in EACH arm and I said that was enough. They could see the vein but it would move on them. I can't even relive the moments when I saw them prodding around. Not a good experience. So . . . any tips for wild toddlers that scream just b/c they are being held and touched by a stranger before the needle comes near them?? I'm considering going to the lab at my local CF center since it's a children's hospital and they see kids all day but it's pretty far drive for us so I wasn't sure if there were any other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

HappyHearts

Thanks in advance!

HappyHearts

Thanks in advance!

HappyHearts

<br />
<br />She is 16 months old and we tried today without success. 2 people tried 2 times in EACH arm and I said that was enough. They could see the vein but it would move on them. I can't even relive the moments when I saw them prodding around. Not a good experience. So . . . any tips for wild toddlers that scream just b/c they are being held and touched by a stranger before the needle comes near them?? I'm considering going to the lab at my local CF center since it's a children's hospital and they see kids all day but it's pretty far drive for us so I wasn't sure if there were any other ideas.
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance!

Fran

No tips sorry, we used to get as many people as possible to help hold him down so it was over with quicker. Lots of screaming, but he got over it quickly once it was finished. When he got a little older he realised the whole thing was less unpleasant if he was still and let them do it.

Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.

Fran

No tips sorry, we used to get as many people as possible to help hold him down so it was over with quicker. Lots of screaming, but he got over it quickly once it was finished. When he got a little older he realised the whole thing was less unpleasant if he was still and let them do it.

Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.

Fran

Fran

Fran

<br />No tips sorry, we used to get as many people as possible to help hold him down so it was over with quicker. Lots of screaming, but he got over it quickly once it was finished. When he got a little older he realised the whole thing was less unpleasant if he was still and let them do it.
<br />
<br />Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.

HappyHearts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Fran</b></i>

Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.</end quote></div>

No they didn't use anything like that. Perhaps it would have helped with them jabbing around in there. My mom was a phlebotomist (spelling?) and she said if you don't get it on the first try, fishing around is a huge no no so she's pretty pissed for us. But DD was screaming before the needle touched her. She really dislikes being restrained and manhandled by strangers. And of course she was probably confused/scared and the tourniquet hurt too I bet.

I'm leaning towards the children's hospital since they see children all.day.long. I just can't go to someone again who does something they shouldn't do - especially on a baby!

HappyHearts

Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.</end quote></div>

No they didn't use anything like that. Perhaps it would have helped with them jabbing around in there. My mom was a phlebotomist (spelling?) and she said if you don't get it on the first try, fishing around is a huge no no so she's pretty pissed for us. But DD was screaming before the needle touched her. She really dislikes being restrained and manhandled by strangers. And of course she was probably confused/scared and the tourniquet hurt too I bet.

I'm leaning towards the children's hospital since they see children all.day.long. I just can't go to someone again who does something they shouldn't do - especially on a baby!

HappyHearts

HappyHearts

Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.</end quote>

HappyHearts

<br />
<br />
<br />Did they use emla cream? (Not sure if it has the same name in different countries) It helps numb the area.</end quote>
<br />
<br />No they didn't use anything like that. Perhaps it would have helped with them jabbing around in there. My mom was a phlebotomist (spelling?) and she said if you don't get it on the first try, fishing around is a huge no no so she's pretty pissed for us. But DD was screaming before the needle touched her. She really dislikes being restrained and manhandled by strangers. And of course she was probably confused/scared and the tourniquet hurt too I bet.
<br />
<br />I'm leaning towards the children's hospital since they see children all.day.long. I just can't go to someone again who does something they shouldn't do - especially on a baby!