To Clear up about SSDI and

JennifersHope

To Clear up about SSDI and working

I have heard so many people say that if you are collecting SSDI that you can not work at all. That is not true. Just so you know, you can work and make up to 1000.00 a month that is before taxes. You can not go one penny over that or you can lose your benefits.

However, you may make that much money but it has to be on a part time or less then part time bases, I am a nurse so my hourly rate is very high. I am able to work four days a month and that brings me to my limit. So to disability I am not working full time, which is what they look for, I can not work full time, I can't work more then one day a week or my health is very much effected but I still get to work a little.

So if any of you are on disability, and wanting to work a little bit here and there, you are allowed to. Just be careful and talk to your lawyer and find out what is allowed.

I qualify for Medicare and because my income is low enough for my states working disabled program which is different then the regular medicaid limit, I will now have Medicare as my primary, medicaid as my secondary and I still can work a little bit.

Who knew?? You have to dig and dig to find these things out but I have enough time on my hands and a great lawyer Beth Sufian...

JennifersHope

I have heard so many people say that if you are collecting SSDI that you can not work at all. That is not true. Just so you know, you can work and make up to 1000.00 a month that is before taxes. You can not go one penny over that or you can lose your benefits.

However, you may make that much money but it has to be on a part time or less then part time bases, I am a nurse so my hourly rate is very high. I am able to work four days a month and that brings me to my limit. So to disability I am not working full time, which is what they look for, I can not work full time, I can't work more then one day a week or my health is very much effected but I still get to work a little.

So if any of you are on disability, and wanting to work a little bit here and there, you are allowed to. Just be careful and talk to your lawyer and find out what is allowed.

I qualify for Medicare and because my income is low enough for my states working disabled program which is different then the regular medicaid limit, I will now have Medicare as my primary, medicaid as my secondary and I still can work a little bit.

Who knew?? You have to dig and dig to find these things out but I have enough time on my hands and a great lawyer Beth Sufian...

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />However, you may make that much money but it has to be on a part time or less then part time bases, I am a nurse so my hourly rate is very high. I am able to work four days a month and that brings me to my limit. So to disability I am not working full time, which is what they look for, I can not work full time, I can't work more then one day a week or my health is very much effected but I still get to work a little.
<br />
<br />So if any of you are on disability, and wanting to work a little bit here and there, you are allowed to. Just be careful and talk to your lawyer and find out what is allowed.
<br />
<br />I qualify for Medicare and because my income is low enough for my states working disabled program which is different then the regular medicaid limit, I will now have Medicare as my primary, medicaid as my secondary and I still can work a little bit.
<br />
<br />Who knew?? You have to dig and dig to find these things out but I have enough time on my hands and a great lawyer Beth Sufian...

ej0820

You are exactly right. It does vary from state to state, though. I think my limit is $900.00 a month (in ohio) and because I am able to work (and I do, part time), I don't get full medicaid-just QMB where medicaid pays for medicare premiums and hospital fees. If I didn't work at all, I would qualify for more medicaid coverage (after medicare, of course).

You do have to dig a lot to find this stuff out, or find the right social workers to talk to.

Glad you found this out and are able to work a little like you hoped!

ej0820

You are exactly right. It does vary from state to state, though. I think my limit is $900.00 a month (in ohio) and because I am able to work (and I do, part time), I don't get full medicaid-just QMB where medicaid pays for medicare premiums and hospital fees. If I didn't work at all, I would qualify for more medicaid coverage (after medicare, of course).

You do have to dig a lot to find this stuff out, or find the right social workers to talk to.

Glad you found this out and are able to work a little like you hoped!

ej0820

<br />
<br />You do have to dig a lot to find this stuff out, or find the right social workers to talk to.
<br />
<br />Glad you found this out and are able to work a little like you hoped!

M

Melly527

I heard the same thing and completely agree. My only question is how does working part-time making under $900-1,000 gross/month differ from the "work ticket" program?

In other words, will I losr my benefits if I work part-time under the limit for more than 9 months?

THanks, Mel

M

Melly527

I heard the same thing and completely agree. My only question is how does working part-time making under $900-1,000 gross/month differ from the "work ticket" program?

In other words, will I losr my benefits if I work part-time under the limit for more than 9 months?

THanks, Mel

M

Melly527

<br />
<br />In other words, will I losr my benefits if I work part-time under the limit for more than 9 months?
<br />
<br />THanks, Mel

JennifersHope

No, you are entitled to work and stay under the said amount for as long as you want, the ticket to work does not limit the amount of money you are allowed to make in any way, you won't lose benefits but you can only do it for nine months and if you go over that nine months you will lose your benefits.

JennifersHope

No, you are entitled to work and stay under the said amount for as long as you want, the ticket to work does not limit the amount of money you are allowed to make in any way, you won't lose benefits but you can only do it for nine months and if you go over that nine months you will lose your benefits.

JennifersHope

ej0820

wait...what benefits will you lose if you work part time for 9 months making under the $900-1000 limit? Are we talking Medicaid or everything (medicare, SSDI, medicaid, etc.)?

Now I'm confused and a little concerned. I've been working part time for a while now and had no real plans of quitting. I've taken some time off, but I still technically "work".

ej0820

wait...what benefits will you lose if you work part time for 9 months making under the $900-1000 limit? Are we talking Medicaid or everything (medicare, SSDI, medicaid, etc.)?

Now I'm confused and a little concerned. I've been working part time for a while now and had no real plans of quitting. I've taken some time off, but I still technically "work".

ej0820

<br />
<br />Now I'm confused and a little concerned. I've been working part time for a while now and had no real plans of quitting. I've taken some time off, but I still technically "work".

Allisa35

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ej0820</b></i>

Now I'm confused and a little concerned. I've been working part time for a while now and had no real plans of quitting. I've taken some time off, but I still technically "work".</end quote></div>

If you are working part-time, you can work as long as you want to as long as you your earnings are under $900 or $1,000 a month (I'm not sure of the exact amount). If you want to work full-time, you can do that for 9 months on the ticket to work program and earn as much money as you want to. But if you go over that 9 months then they can take away your benefits.

Allisa35

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ej0820</b></i>

Now I'm confused and a little concerned. I've been working part time for a while now and had no real plans of quitting. I've taken some time off, but I still technically "work".</end quote>

If you are working part-time, you can work as long as you want to as long as you your earnings are under $900 or $1,000 a month (I'm not sure of the exact amount). If you want to work full-time, you can do that for 9 months on the ticket to work program and earn as much money as you want to. But if you go over that 9 months then they can take away your benefits.