to humidify or not to humidify? err..purify?

SadiesMom

I'm sure this has been asked a billion, trillion times...but alas, once more.  Does anyone use a germ free humidifier during the seasonal changes?  When the heat turns on, is when my kiddos seem most likely to catch their colds, and I was wondering if I should look into it.  We do the whole saline-vapor-steamy tubs bit, and additional vest/nebs, which usually curbs it, but just thought maybe a humidifier either downstairs for the whole house or in their rooms might be useful too.  <br><br>If not a humidifier, do you all use a purifier?  We don't use anything at the moment.  So do you  have recommendations?  Any low maintenance options?<br>

SadiesMom

I'm sure this has been asked a billion, trillion times...but alas, once more. Does anyone use a germ free humidifier during the seasonal changes? When the heat turns on, is when my kiddos seem most likely to catch their colds, and I was wondering if I should look into it. We do the whole saline-vapor-steamy tubs bit, and additional vest/nebs, which usually curbs it, but just thought maybe a humidifier either downstairs for the whole house or in their rooms might be useful too. <br><br>If not a humidifier, do you all use a purifier? We don't use anything at the moment. So do you have recommendations? Any low maintenance options?<br>

SadiesMom

I'm sure this has been asked a billion, trillion times...but alas, once more. Does anyone use a germ free humidifier during the seasonal changes? When the heat turns on, is when my kiddos seem most likely to catch their colds, and I was wondering if I should look into it. We do the whole saline-vapor-steamy tubs bit, and additional vest/nebs, which usually curbs it, but just thought maybe a humidifier either downstairs for the whole house or in their rooms might be useful too. <br><br>If not a humidifier, do you all use a purifier? We don't use anything at the moment. So do you have recommendations? Any low maintenance options?<br>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We don't use a humidifier. Always too concerned about potential for mold. We do the extra baths, sinus rinses. We do have a hepa airfilter in DS' room. It was a gift from a relative. Our electric fireplace also came with an airfiltration system.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We don't use a humidifier. Always too concerned about potential for mold. We do the extra baths, sinus rinses. We do have a hepa airfilter in DS' room. It was a gift from a relative. Our electric fireplace also came with an airfiltration system.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

E

edan

When my daughter really needs some humidification, I boil a pot of water for 5-10 minutes to sterilize and then put it in a crock pot high up on a shelf in her room.

We also use an air purifier... IQ Air. It is pricy but gets the smaller particulates out. You can also buy filters to put on your heating vents.

Hope this helps,

Edan.

E

edan

When my daughter really needs some humidification, I boil a pot of water for 5-10 minutes to sterilize and then put it in a crock pot high up on a shelf in her room.

We also use an air purifier... IQ Air. It is pricy but gets the smaller particulates out. You can also buy filters to put on your heating vents.

Hope this helps,

Edan.

E

edan

<br />
<br />We also use an air purifier... IQ Air. It is pricy but gets the smaller particulates out. You can also buy filters to put on your heating vents.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps,
<br />
<br />Edan.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
We do not humidify. i do have a Holmes Air Purifier in my daughter's bedroom. It has charcoal filters and a HEPA filter. Mostly, it helps with dust in the air. I got it at Target.

We do have a dog and a cat. I do not let either animal in my daughter's bedroom..

Rebjane

Super Moderator
We do not humidify. i do have a Holmes Air Purifier in my daughter's bedroom. It has charcoal filters and a HEPA filter. Mostly, it helps with dust in the air. I got it at Target.

We do have a dog and a cat. I do not let either animal in my daughter's bedroom..

Rebjane

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />We do have a dog and a cat. I do not let either animal in my daughter's bedroom..
<br />
<br />

ymikhale

We don't use humidifier, still water is too risky when it comes to germs. I have a purifier with a hepa filter and prefilter. It does not eliminate germs (I don't expect it to at least for that price), but gets the air cleaner. Be sure to change the filters often if you get one, otherwise it will just blow the dust around.

ymikhale

We don't use humidifier, still water is too risky when it comes to germs. I have a purifier with a hepa filter and prefilter. It does not eliminate germs (I don't expect it to at least for that price), but gets the air cleaner. Be sure to change the filters often if you get one, otherwise it will just blow the dust around.

ymikhale

scrapper1264

My son's dr said if we needed to use one (son gets chapped lips in the winter) to use it at night, and then empty it and let it air dry during the day. She is not a big fan of humidifiers because of the potential mold. We do have an air purifier that helps greatly with dust.

scrapper1264

My son's dr said if we needed to use one (son gets chapped lips in the winter) to use it at night, and then empty it and let it air dry during the day. She is not a big fan of humidifiers because of the potential mold. We do have an air purifier that helps greatly with dust.

scrapper1264

<br />

Gnome

<br>Don't use one and we live in an extremely dry area especially in winter.  Just not worth the risk.

Gnome

<br>Don't use one and we live in an extremely dry area especially in winter. Just not worth the risk.