To the "chubby" CFers

imported_Momto2

To the

semnle34, you sound so much like me! I am completely PI, had a devil of a time gaining weight as a teen and kid, then around 20, I developed CFRD and the weight went on TOO easily! I have been fighting it ever since, and my family has "fat genes" if you know what i mean! Now my blood sugar is fine, as long as I stick to no carbs, sugar, or dairy, but its really hard : ( I never developed an "off" switch for eating, because I was always encouraged to eat continuously as a kid, and it is really biting me in my ever-growing ass now.

imported_Momto2

To the

semnle34, you sound so much like me! I am completely PI, had a devil of a time gaining weight as a teen and kid, then around 20, I developed CFRD and the weight went on TOO easily! I have been fighting it ever since, and my family has "fat genes" if you know what i mean! Now my blood sugar is fine, as long as I stick to no carbs, sugar, or dairy, but its really hard : ( I never developed an "off" switch for eating, because I was always encouraged to eat continuously as a kid, and it is really biting me in my ever-growing ass now.

Asexyblond23

To the

As a teenager I was skinny, but I played volleyball and did sports. When I hit about 23 I went up about 10 pounds to 140 and was not happy with it, did not like the way I felt but just accepted it. Im 5'10" I just didnt like that it all went to my stomach. I stayed 140-145 for 6 years. After I had my son in 2010 I took the depo shot 3 times and it made me gain 30 lbs. I am freaking out. I was able over the past 2 years to drop about 10-12 of it but I still am 160-165. My PFT's have stayed the exact same. No more weight like they always wanted has helped me over the past 2 years. I am asking my doctors on how to lose the weight. I do not lose weight when I get sick. Once I am at a weight that is where I stay. I just need to get this extra 15 lbs from that darn depo shot off me!

Asexyblond23

To the

As a teenager I was skinny, but I played volleyball and did sports. When I hit about 23 I went up about 10 pounds to 140 and was not happy with it, did not like the way I felt but just accepted it. Im 5'10" I just didnt like that it all went to my stomach. I stayed 140-145 for 6 years. After I had my son in 2010 I took the depo shot 3 times and it made me gain 30 lbs. I am freaking out. I was able over the past 2 years to drop about 10-12 of it but I still am 160-165. My PFT's have stayed the exact same. No more weight like they always wanted has helped me over the past 2 years. I am asking my doctors on how to lose the weight. I do not lose weight when I get sick. Once I am at a weight that is where I stay. I just need to get this extra 15 lbs from that darn depo shot off me!

wskirchner

I was always a little on the chubby side. I danced for years so my weight was higher due to the fact that it was muscle BUT I did struggle with weight gain. Doctors never said not to gain weight or that I needed to go on a diet. Most recently (past year) when speaking of transplant I mentioned that your BMI had to be below a certain level and he said for CF patients as long as its above the minimum they list you due to the fact we lose way super quick.
Now the reason I responded is to mention to you that I did always struggle with wanting to be the typical small CF patient- I was actually kind of ticked cause I couldn't even be a modelesque CF patient and felt like a horse in comparison. Then I got sick with the flu and went from 70% lung function to a struggling 47%. Now I really do eat like a horse and continue to slowly but surely lose weight. In March of 2011 I weighed about 205 and was around a size 16. Now I struggle to stay around 170 and just recently purchased a pair of size 10 jeans. Based on my calculations, when I was around 205 I was ingesting about 2500 calories and now I take in about 3500.
I guess what I am saying is love yourself, love your body. If you feel chubby do yourself a favor NOW and workout (with weights and cardio too). This will get you into better shape so when you do get sick it doesn't take so much out of you.
As they always say too, the betterr in shapethe patient is the better the transplant goes.
Good luck!!

wskirchner

I was always a little on the chubby side. I danced for years so my weight was higher due to the fact that it was muscle BUT I did struggle with weight gain. Doctors never said not to gain weight or that I needed to go on a diet. Most recently (past year) when speaking of transplant I mentioned that your BMI had to be below a certain level and he said for CF patients as long as its above the minimum they list you due to the fact we lose way super quick.
Now the reason I responded is to mention to you that I did always struggle with wanting to be the typical small CF patient- I was actually kind of ticked cause I couldn't even be a modelesque CF patient and felt like a horse in comparison. Then I got sick with the flu and went from 70% lung function to a struggling 47%. Now I really do eat like a horse and continue to slowly but surely lose weight. In March of 2011 I weighed about 205 and was around a size 16. Now I struggle to stay around 170 and just recently purchased a pair of size 10 jeans. Based on my calculations, when I was around 205 I was ingesting about 2500 calories and now I take in about 3500.
I guess what I am saying is love yourself, love your body. If you feel chubby do yourself a favor NOW and workout (with weights and cardio too). This will get you into better shape so when you do get sick it doesn't take so much out of you.
As they always say too, the betterr in shapethe patient is the better the transplant goes.
Good luck!!