to those who are allergic to dressings/tapes

kybert

i may have found a solution. well, the wound care nurse i saw might have. she has given me something called mepilex border. unlike your regular dressings, this one uses silicone as an adhesive. i did a test patch last night and after a few hours there was no reaction so this morning i have put one over my port. no reaction so far. only downside is that there is a foam pad in the middle making it a bit bulky and it isnt transparent. but, since it is restickable, if you want to inspect the port you can just peel it back and stick it down again. this doesnt hurt when you remove it either.

kybert

i may have found a solution. well, the wound care nurse i saw might have. she has given me something called mepilex border. unlike your regular dressings, this one uses silicone as an adhesive. i did a test patch last night and after a few hours there was no reaction so this morning i have put one over my port. no reaction so far. only downside is that there is a foam pad in the middle making it a bit bulky and it isnt transparent. but, since it is restickable, if you want to inspect the port you can just peel it back and stick it down again. this doesnt hurt when you remove it either.

kybert

lightNlife

I use that too and I like it. The dressing change kits I had used to include a swab of skin protectant which put a nice layer in between the adhesive and my skin. Good stuff. Hard to find these days though. I hate when my medical center changes suppliers to save some money.

I'm pretty used to having a bulky looking port. Usually I fold up some gauze under the tegaderm patch so that there's more "breathing room" against my skin. Unless a person is a seasoned pro and is exceptionally diligent about following sterile procedures, I don't recommend trying too many things just for the sake of experimenting to learn what's comfortable. I've been accessing my own port for years (the port itself will be 10 years old in Feb.) and I have NEVER had an infection at the site or in the line.

lightNlife

I use that too and I like it. The dressing change kits I had used to include a swab of skin protectant which put a nice layer in between the adhesive and my skin. Good stuff. Hard to find these days though. I hate when my medical center changes suppliers to save some money.

I'm pretty used to having a bulky looking port. Usually I fold up some gauze under the tegaderm patch so that there's more "breathing room" against my skin. Unless a person is a seasoned pro and is exceptionally diligent about following sterile procedures, I don't recommend trying too many things just for the sake of experimenting to learn what's comfortable. I've been accessing my own port for years (the port itself will be 10 years old in Feb.) and I have NEVER had an infection at the site or in the line.

lightNlife